The Sword and Laser discussion

2018 March Madness ROUND 3 - The polls are Closed (3/20)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1158 comments Mod
The Way of Kings rallied in the last hours to overcome Theft of Swords which unexpectedly led for most of the week. The tournament favorite fresh off it's narrowest of victories (two votes!) will take on a Soulless Gail Carriger who may spare your feelings but not shrink from victory.
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

On the Laser side We Are Legion (We Are Bob) dispatched Autonomous for the privilege of sending its horde-like self up against the Culture juggernaut Iain M. Banks and Consider Phlebas.

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (last edited Mar 13, 2018 10:55PM) (new)

Tassie Dave | 3640 comments Mod
The big 2 ares still alive.

Kings v Bob for the Final :-)

I'd be happy if any of the 4 left win.

message 3: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6905 comments Mod
Bummer about Theft of Sword. I didn't think it would be that close, let alone lose last minute.

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Results from Round 2:

Once again participation dropped off in the second round. I guess some people don't vote if their favorites don't make it?

View the full bracket here

Tournament Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 3,980
Average Votes Cast: 332
Book With Most Votes: The Way of Kings (222 Votes) (Round 1)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. All the Crooked Saints (351 Votes) (Round 1)
Largest Win: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (99 Votes) (Round 1)
Smallest Win: The Way of Kings (2 Votes) (Round 2)
Average Win: 31 votes

Round 2 Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 1,244
Average Votes Cast: 311
Book With Most Votes: Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (174 Votes)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. Theft of Swords (322 Votes)
Largest Win: Consider Phlebas (37 Votes)
Smallest Win: The Way of Kings (2 Votes)
Average Win: 21.5

Round 1 Statistics
Total Votes Cast: 2,736
Average Votes Cast: 342
Book With Most Votes: The Way of Kings (222 Votes)
Match-up With Most Votes: The Way of Kings vs. All the Crooked Saints (351 Votes)
Largest Win: We Are Legion (We Are Bob) (99 Votes)
Smallest Win: Shades of Milk and Honey (3 Votes)
Average Win: 36 votes

Sword Bracket
---------------------------------

The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson (162 Votes)
vs.
Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan (160 Votes)

Winner: The Way of Kings
Total Votes: 322
Margin of Victory: 2

Soulless by Gail Carriger (161 Votes)
vs.
Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal (139 Votes)

Winner: Soulless
Total Votes: 300
Margin of Victory: 22

Laser Bracket

We Are Legion (We Are Bob) by Dennis E. Taylor (168 Votes)
vs.
Autonomous by Annalee Newitz (143 Votes)

Winner: We Are Legion (We Are Bob)
Total Votes: 311
Margin of Victory: 25

Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks (174 Votes)
vs.
Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (137 Votes)

Winner: Consider Phlebas
Total Votes: 311
Margin of Victory: 37

message 5: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I went 2-0 in sci-fi, but 0-2 in fantasy. I find that kind of hilarious because in general I enjoy fantasy more.

Well, with Theft of Swords out I'm all in Bob now!

message 6: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1663 comments My champions are gone. Only rooting for Bob now. Go Bob go!

message 7: by Sheila Jean (new)

Sheila Jean | 326 comments I just did the Way of Kings / Soulless vote and it's confusing because Michael Sullivan's name is still in there, tied with Gail Carriger/Soulless.

message 8: by Todd (new)

Todd Carrozzi | 60 comments I'm actually a little glad I forgot to vote last round as I loved both Way of Kings and Theft of Swords, so it would have been really hard to choose. With a two vote margin, I guess it was a tough choice overall. :)

message 9: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments The Theft of Swords... always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Maybe next year, Rob! I was pulling for it.

message 10: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Dara wrote: "The Theft of Swords... always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Maybe next year, Rob! I was pulling for it."

It's just fate's way of giving me a perpetual nomination each year. lol.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2529 comments Dara wrote: "The Theft of Swords... always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Maybe next year, Rob! I was pulling for it."

Perhaps the Supreme Sword will someday have mercy on Rob's soul and choose Theft of Swords as a monthly pick.

message 12: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1190 comments Bah every single one of the books I voted for has now been defeated!

message 13: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4204 comments Ruth wrote: "Bah every single one of the books I voted for has now been defeated!"

Yep. I have no interest in any of this. This is why I far prefer the dictator selections. I think the overall taste of those who vote in S&L polls is vastly different from my taste.

message 14: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 930 comments Soulless has two authors?

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Adams | 22 comments Easy vote for me. The Way of Kings and We Are Legion are both great, but I've read both of them within the past two years. I'm much more interested in something new.

message 16: by Rob, Roberator (new)

terpkristin wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Bah every single one of the books I voted for has now been defeated!"

Yep. I have no interest in any of this. This is why I far prefer the dictator selections. I think the overall tas..."

That's a bummer to hear. I've read 2/4 of the books in the finals. I enjoyed both of them a lot.

The other two haven't been my picks in previous rounds, but I'll still read either if they win.

With regards to dictator picks, I often find their picks are vastly different from my tastes as well. I consider that a benefit though, because I end up reading books I wouldn't otherwise.

I don't always enjoy all the picks, but there are plenty of times when I've been surprised by a book. This month is a great example of that.

message 17: by William (new)

William | 429 comments All the books I was rooting for have been knocked out.

What does that leave?

1. Some books still in the competition that look very interesting.
2. My "To Read" list has been greatly improved.

Yes, I'm loving March Madness. Long may it continue!

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments 1-4 for me

message 19: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Sheila Jean wrote: "I just did the Way of Kings / Soulless vote and it's confusing because Michael Sullivan's name is still in there, tied with Gail Carriger/Soulless."

Oops. I deleted the errant Sullivan mention. I always prepare the polls ahead of time with all four possible books (to avoid spoilers) and I just didn't quite get all the words deleted when I updated it. Apologies for the confusion.

message 20: by Tina (new)

Tina (javabird) | 717 comments terpkristin wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Bah every single one of the books I voted for has now been defeated!"

Yep. I have no interest in any of this. This is why I far prefer the dictator selections. I think the overall tas..."

There were some good suggestions that were knocked out. I hope our fearless leaders will take note of some of those suggestions for dictatorial picks in upcoming months!

message 21: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tina wrote: "terpkristin wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Bah every single one of the books I voted for has now been defeated!"

Yep. I have no interest in any of this. This is why I far prefer the dictator selections. I t..."

We always do! But keep in mind we only make one pick a month and there are always great new books coming out PLUS a huge history of books. So if we don't end up picking one of your faves it's not because we don't like it. Too many books!!

message 22: by Erik (new)

Erik (aerik) Tom & Veronica,

Just so you don't get too bummed out with people's frustration, I want you to know that March Madness is my favorite part of S+L every year. I absolutely love it, and have a blast reading through all the nominations and voting and discussions.

message 23: by Phil (last edited Mar 14, 2018 09:57AM) (new)

Phil | 1160 comments Well, with Atwood gone my prediction once again has failed. I guess I should never play the stock market.
I'll be happy with 3 of the remaining 4 winning. The Way of Kings is just too long for a monthly pick.

message 24: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2529 comments OK, let's look at the total page numbers!

Top 10 S+L picks by page length

A Dance With Dragons 1154
Reamde 1044
Anathem 937
1Q84 925
The Mists of Avalon 876
A Game of Thrones 835
American Gods 750
The Sword of Shannara 726
The Lies of Locke Lamora 722
The Eye of the World 688

The Way of Kings, if it wins this year's March Madness, would rank third at 1008 pages.

The other three books still in competition are 1132 pages together.

Soulless 357
We Are Legion (We Are Bob) 304
Consider Phlebas 471

message 25: by Mark (new)

Mark (markmtz) | 2529 comments terpkristin wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Bah every single one of the books I voted for has now been defeated!"

This is why I far prefer the dictator selections."

As entertaining as March Madness is, I have to agree. The S+L dictatorial picks have helped expand my view of SF&F, introducing me to books and authors I wouldn't have picked up on my own. The March Madness books all seem very familiar, which is ok.

message 26: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) Mark wrote: "OK, let's look at the total page numbers!

Reamde 1044
Anathem 937
1Q84 925
The Mists of Avalon 876
A Game of Thrones 835
American Gods 75..."

Even if The Way of Kings isn't the longest book ever read by the club, it doesn't quite matter: A Dance with Dragons was read starting July 12, 2011, and went until the next book at August 29, 2011, so they had almost 7 weeks to read it (and there was a shorter alternate book in the same time frame). Reamde was an Alternate Pick (and still had over 6 weeks to read). Anathem was read in September 2008 and they took a full 2 months to read it. 1Q84 had almost 2 months for it as well.

Since the switch to per-month in May 2012, the longest book read was the Sword of Shannara (726 pages by your count) in 2016.

message 27: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2522 comments Good results for me as I went 3-1 in this round with the two I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole gone :)
Now I'm left with 2 read and 2 unread books, one in each bracket. Do I vote for books I haven't read, or the two I know are great books and the group should enjoy? Tough choices....

message 28: by Phil (last edited Mar 14, 2018 12:52PM) (new)

Phil | 1160 comments Mark wrote: "OK, let's look at the total page numbers!

Reamde 1044
Anathem 937
1Q84 925
The Mists of Avalon 876
A Game of Thrones 835
American Gods 75..."

Amazon and the version I saw in the store both are 1280 pages for WoK.
Maybe that's hardcover vs paperback.

message 29: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1474 comments Mark wrote: "OK, let's look at the total page numbers!

"

Just skip the vote, eliminate the Way of Kings and read the 3 other books :-)

message 30: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I bet most of us read well over 1000 pages a month. Plus there is no rule that you "have" to finish it before the end of April ;-)

I cheated and started reading AWoK last week. Only because I had it already and was going to read it anyway.

But also football starts next week and that will take up most of my spare time on my days off :-)

Go Tigers :-)

message 31: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1474 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I bet most of us read well over 1000 pages a month. Plus there is no rule that you "have" to finish it before the end of April ;-)

I cheated and started reading AWoK last week. Only because I had ..."

Carn the putty tats.

message 32: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4204 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Go Tigers :-) "
Go Swans! ;)

message 33: by Ben George (new)

Ben  George | 66 comments I'll be the voice of dissent and say I would enjoy discussing tWoK with you guys, even if that means I would finally have to get my act together and finish it :)

Still haven't voted for it yet....

message 34: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Rob wrote: "Dara wrote: "The Theft of Swords... always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Maybe next year, Rob! I was pulling for it."

It's just fate's way of giving me a perpetual nomination each year. lol."

Theft of Swords is the Susan Lucci of Sword & Laser.

message 35: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I don't get the joke.

message 36: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) Wow, Rob. We're the same age! I know that joke!

Susan Lucci was on All My Children and was nominated 19 times for a Daytime Emmy for Best Actress (from 1978 on) before finally winning in 1999.

message 37: by Rob, Roberator (new)

I guess I never paid enough attention to the Daytime Emmy awards? I must say I do not regret that in the least..

message 38: by David H. (new)

David H. (farrakut) Haha, I don't care about the Daytime Emmys either, but it was a running joke in pop culture about Susan Lucci never winning. Back in the day when I used to read newspapers and the different sections therein.

message 39: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Rob wrote: "I don't get the joke."

I'm Australian, never watch either Emmy's or Day time TV and I got the joke ;-)

Guess it must be an old guy thing. :-)

terpkristin wrote: "Tassie Dave wrote: "Go Tigers :-) "
Go Swans! ;)"

I get Iain being a Geelong fan (being an Aussie), but I wouldn't have guessed you for a Sydney fan :-?

message 40: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Mar 14, 2018 05:42PM) (new)

I'm not that young, just a bit oblivious I guess. I had to look up her name. I recognized her then.

I actually get a newspaper delivered on Sundays. I put it right in my recycling bin though. For some reason Sunday delivery was cheaper than just getting a digital subscription.

message 41: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments What I meant in my earlier post was that only 1 that I voted for made it through this time. I would edit that post to clarify, but am using the awful Goodreads app on my iPad.

Apparently my tastes run very different from the majority of S&L voters!

message 42: by Adam (new)

Adam Gutschenritter (heregrim) | 114 comments 4 for 4 this round...after 7 for 8....so is this the round where everything I choose is wrong? I keep waiting for the shoe to drop.

message 43: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4204 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "I get Iain being a Geelong fan (being an Aussie), but I wouldn't have guessed you for a Sydney fan :-?”

I had a physical therapist from Australia and while he was beating me up he’d tell me about his team (Crows). I discovered that a TV channel I had showed a lot of AFL games and the team I saw the most was Sydney, so I adopted them. I would then be able to talk to the PR (instead of being talked at) which seemed to make the PT easier.

Back on topic, I think I need to put a shelf for dictator picks vs votes to get a better metric, but over the last 2 years I think I’ve only dug one or two of the poll picks. Different strokes for different folks. But I won’t reread WoK if it wins ;) (working Oathbringer still).

message 44: by Matthew (new)

Matthew (matthewdl) | 351 comments Yikes, I went 0/4 that round. Good thing there's still a ton of awesome in this race.

message 45: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

terpkristin wrote: "but over the last 2 years I think I’ve only dug one or two of the poll picks. ."

We've had 6 books picked by votes since the start of 2016.

Of those you read 5. You don't have Doomsday Book on your shelves.

2 you gave 4 Stars (Invisible Library and A Darker Shade of Magic)
1 you gave 3 Stars (Left Hand of Darkness)
1 you gave 2 Stars (Aurora)
1 you didn't score at all (Futuristic Violence and Fancy Suits) I hated that book too.

3 out of 5 liked isn't too bad :-)

message 46: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Erik wrote: "Tom & Veronica,

Just so you don't get too bummed out with people's frustration, I want you to know that March Madness is my favorite part of S+L every year. I absolutely love it, and have a blast ..."

Thanks Erik! I love doing this.

message 47: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Go Swans! (DTNS Contributor Peter wells is from Sydney)

Come on y'all. I always am guided in picking books by content and author. I don't take page count or the cover art or bindings or anything like that into account. I don't even take availability into account unless a book is just impossible to get even used. And that's never happened.

The important thing is exposing myself to new stories and new voices. If I-- slowest reader of all of you-- can read Way of Kings you can too. Unless you just don't want to, which is fine.

And Tassie Dave, love the stats!!!

message 48: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Mar 15, 2018 03:54AM) (new)

This got me curious, so I made a new shelf to track member voted books back to 2010 (based on the polls page). Now you can quickly see your ratings of the member picks: https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

I'm not sure if I got them all, so let me if I missed some/made a mistake.

There have been 21 poll winners (although Shadow & Claw was a yes/no poll).

There were also 3 alt-picks that came in second place in their respective polls.

Personally, I have a pretty good track record with member picks overall, but most of my higher rated books are from years ago, some before I joined the group, and most of those 2 star ratings are in the last 3 years.

Overall
5 stars: 0
4 stars: 7
3 stars: 7
2 stars: 5

Did Not Read: 2

Last 3 years
5 stars: 0
4 stars: 1
3 stars: 3
2 stars: 4

I have a very good record with member runner-up picks (lost the poll but made an alt pick).

5 stars: 1
4 stars: 2

message 49: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Rob wrote: "This got me curious, so I made a new shelf to track member voted books back to 2010 (based on the polls page). Now you can quickly see your ratings of the member picks: https://www.goodreads.com/gr..."

Cool. Looks like I’ve read 17/24, which is more than I would have thought.

My two 5-Star reads are Station Eleven and World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War.

message 50: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (j-boo) | 322 comments Looks like I've read 6 out of 24. A Darker Shade of Magic was a 5 star read for me. Each of the other five books I awarded 3 stars (Aurora, The Fifth Season, Station Eleven, Leviathan Wakes, The Hunger Games)

« previous 1