Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Book Talk > Women's Prize for Fiction 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica | 943 comments Mod
Longlist also announced for the Women's Prize for Fiction 2018 (formerly Bailey's prize or Orange prize I think)

Have you read any or plan to read any of the titles?

The longlisted books are as follows:

H(A)PPY by Nicola Barker
The Idiot by Elif Batuman
Three Things About Elsie by Joanna Cannon
Miss Burma by Charmaine Craig
Manhattan Beach by Jennifer Egan
The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar
Sight by Jessie Greengrass
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
When I Hit You: Or, A Portrait of the Writer as a Young Wife by Meena Kandasamy
Elmet by Fiona Mozley
The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy
See What I Have Done by Sarah Schmidt
A Boy in Winter by Rachel Seiffert
Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie
The Trick to Time by Kit de Waal
Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward

message 2: by Erica (new)

Erica | 943 comments Mod
I managed to get a copy of See What I Have Done out from the libs son hoping to get to that soon :)

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 173 comments No, I haven't, but I love the title 'The Ministry of Utmost Happiness'! That alone will make me take a look.

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 988 comments I feel a mild interest in Eleanor Oliphant as a lot of my friends have read it & really enjoyed it. Haven't heard of most of the others.

message 5: by Erica (new)

Erica | 943 comments Mod
Carol Clouds ꧁꧂ wrote: "I feel a mild interest in Eleanor Oliphant as a lot of my friends have read it & really enjoyed it. Haven't heard of most of the others."

Yeah I've only heard great things about it!

message 6: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Have requested The Mermaid and Mrs Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar

Have got my paws on:
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy

Will let you know if I enjoyed them.

Am pleased this is a broader pick of genres than the other list. I do get tired of arty farty pretentious stuff. I though J K Rowlings - as Robert Galbraith with her Cormoran Strike detective novel - did a great job of sending up such writers and the publishing world in 'The Silkworm'.

A pal in the UK has just sent me the DVDs of the BBC production of the first 2 novels and they're not bad!

message 7: by Erica (new)

Erica | 943 comments Mod
Yeah this award has very accessible novels I've found.
You've been far more successful at getting your hands on copies than me!
I did read See What I Have Done in the weekend.It was good but I'd be surprised if it was shortlisted.

message 8: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments I'm struggling with Eleanor Oliphant as people say it's funny and I'm finding it sad. I hate laughing at 'different' people.

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica | 943 comments Mod
I've just got 'When I Hit You' out from the library so hopefully we read that soon (after the April group read The Parihaka Woman).

message 10: by P.D.R. (new)

P.D.R. Lindsay (pdrlindsay) | 1646 comments Well: The Ministry of Utmost Happiness by Arundhati Roy

were okay, but not prize winners for me.

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica | 943 comments Mod
Winner of this prize was announced on 6 June. It was Home Fire by Kamila Shamsie. I've only heard great things about this story so will definitely be trying to check it out this year. Anyone else read it?

message 12: by Erica (new)

Erica | 943 comments Mod
I also realise I never checked back in here after I read shortlisted book When I Hit You by Meena Kandasamy. This book was brilliant. A powerful and poetic novel about a writer under the control of her abusive husband. Well worth a read.