Geo-Diversity Book Club discussion

Books We Read > MARCH 2018: India

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
I guess this is where we'll discuss our March read. I'm pretty new to Goodreads Groups so sorry if I'm doing this wrong...

message 2: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
Hey, just a quick update. We’ll be discussing The White Tiger on April 7th so you still have plenty of time to read it :)

message 3: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
OK, it's finally time to start discussing The White Tiger!!

message 4: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments So what are your thoughts on the book?

message 5: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
Personally, I really liked it. Balram was definitely a morally gray character but I felt like he was genuine and real. Also, I really enjoyed all of the societal commentary. How about you?

message 6: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
Hi!

message 7: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments I agree. I found his narration to be very amusing at times, even though the things discussed in the book aren't like that themselves. I was honestly a bit shocked by certain things I read, since I had no idea that the situation in India was like that (after reading I even went and watched some documentaries on the society in modern day India).

message 8: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
I totally agree! I always imagined the Taj Mahal and yoga, and while I knew there was poverty I never really imagined it being that severe.

message 9: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
It's definitely a satirical novel so I guess maybe he's not genuine but the ideals he symbolizes are?

message 10: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments Well I'd say that he is genuine in the sense that the things he did he had to do to make a better future for himself and that wouldn't have been possible if he'd continued to work for his master and listen to everything his family told him.

message 11: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
Yeah. There's a lot of interesting stuff with the idea of the slave/master dichotomy and how you kinda have to be horrible if you want to succeed.

message 12: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments Absolutely! It doesn't sugar coat the fact that fairness and just being good won't help you in a world where you have to put yourself first in order to succeed. But here "success" is just breaking free from others and being in complete control of your life.

message 13: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
I thought it was interesting how many times Gandhi showed up in the novel. In America at least he's sort of a revered figure so it was super weird seeing him through Balram's eyes who almost seemed to mock him. I don't know if anyone else noticed this...

message 14: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments Yeah, he was constantly mentioned - sometimes directly and sometimes just when describing a setting (for instance the school where there was a picture of him hanging on the wall). Gandhi is definitely one of the most well known pacifists ever and I think that he's used by the author to show how ironic it is that he's referenced throught the book and by all the characters that take advantage of the less fortunate and don't follow the law, just to show that the country is extremely corrupt.

message 15: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
Absolutely! What did you think about Ashok? There were some moments where I liked him and then others where I couldn't stand him!

message 16: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments Me too! I feel that he was out of touch from reality (at least the one in India). It's stated that he'd been living in the US for a couple of years and when he came to India he wasn't aware of the situation there. And the more time he spent in India and with other wealthy people, the more he became like them.

message 17: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments I think both of them saw the injustice, but the difference is that Ashok chose to act the way he did because of his family, whereas Balram did what he did because of himself, inspite of his family. Ashok was ultimately trapped just like Balram, but Balram decided to do something to change his life for the better.

message 18: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments Yeah I guess so.. what did you think of Pinky Madam? She to me was a bit of a mystery, I still don't know what to think of her

message 19: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
I didn't really like her. I felt like she was always complaining and didn't really contribute.

message 20: by Marija (last edited Apr 15, 2018 12:40PM) (new)

Marija | 11 comments Yeah I thought about that too, but she confused me a bit when she gave Balram the money when she left. I don't understand why she did that. Did she feel bad for him in general, or is it because he was nearly framed for her crime when she ran over a child?

message 21: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
I thought it was because she was going to frame him

message 22: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments Probably, I guess I just thought that there might be something more to her

message 23: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
She was a super confusing character. I never really understood her purpose in the novel.

message 24: by Marija (new)

Marija | 11 comments Yeah.. probably to enhance Ashok's unhappiness. I mean when they split that's when he becomes vulnerable and accepts whatever others tell him (meets with a hooker, starts to drink...).

message 25: by Cat (new)

Cat | 15 comments Mod
She definitely breaks the last of his strength