Play Book Tag discussion

The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope, #1)
This topic is about The Christmas Shoes
Archive: Other Books > The Christmas Shoes / Donna VanLiere - 1.5*

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5803 comments The Christmas Shoes (Christmas Hope #1) by Donna VanLiere
The Christmas Shoes – Donna VanLiere
1.5*

I’m sure you’ve heard the Christmas song about the little boy who wants to buy a special pair of shoes for his Mama on Christmas. She’s dying and he wants her to feel special when she meets Jesus.

Well, VanLiere expands that song into this novella. The writing is trite and the story line, melodramatic and manipulative. There are a few redeeming qualities. I really did like the interactions of the Andrews family: Nathan, dad Jack and mom Maggie. I also really liked Nathan’s teacher and the ways she tried to help this small boy deal with the sadness and stress of his mother’s illness. But I was totally turned off and unbelieving of the great turnaround that Robert makes. I knew the story was headed there (I have heard the song numerous times), but didn’t feel that VanLiere made it believable.

Final verdict: Call me a Scrooge or a Grinch; I grew to hate the song and the book isn’t much better.

LINK to my review

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, you were brave to even try the book, BC. I am not fond of the song either.

message 3: by Karin (last edited Mar 14, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Karin | 7007 comments I don't even know the song, and I'll pass on this book since it is obviously not very good. I tried to listen to the song, but couldn't get far. Didn't like the arrangement or the vocals or the melody. But then there are very few contemporary pop type Christmas songs I like, either secular or Christian.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8525 comments This song makes you cry the very first and maybe the second time you hear it. After that it tires incredibly quickly. That said, Christmas books are not my genre. Not in the least. But do I love the music? With a passion! For anyone who loves to sing and loves harmony, these is six weeks of total pleasure. When the time comes around I will share with you all my favorites. Who would ever listen to audiobooks when six weeks of Holly is on?

message 5: by Karin (last edited Mar 14, 2018 04:08PM) (new)

Karin | 7007 comments Amy wrote: "This song makes you cry the very first and maybe the second time you hear it. After that it tires incredibly quickly. That said, Christmas books are not my genre. Not in the least. But do I love th..."

You wouldn't like my house. I have a 2 week Christmas music rule. BUT, since some of us sing in a local choir (just rejoined this spring when the old director resigned) we are practising them all fall. Plus I do have 2 I use for singing warm up now, much to the chagrin of my eldest. One is one of the most popular Weinachtslieben in Germany (but virtually unheard of over here, but simple and easy to warm up with) and then one contemporary one.

It's not that I don't like any of it, it is that they are such earworms. Plus my kids grew up with recordings my mother in law gave us and it is chalk full of stuff I don't like, but we also have stuff I love, but don't want in my head day after day after day after day all year.