Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Issues > Please delete the duplicate

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LenaRibka (new)

LenaRibka | 8 comments Please, delete this book, only super librarian are able to delete it:

the book itself:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

the duplicate:

thank you!

message 2: by Cassandra (last edited Mar 13, 2018 09:57AM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4919 comments Lena♥Ribka wrote: "Please, delete this book, only super librarian are able to delete it:

the book itself:

the duplicate:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/sho..."

The edition you've linked is valid, the ASIN is in the correct location. The other edition that you added has the ASIN listed in the ISBN10 field, which is why it allowed you to create a duplicate. The duplicate created in error should be merged, not the valid edition that was already there.

Searching the GR catalog by ASIN or ISBN before adding another edition would let you know that that particular edition has already been added. Queued the invalid duplicate for deletion.

message 3: by LenaRibka (new)

LenaRibka | 8 comments It was not added as an extra edition, but as an extra book, that is not correct. I couldn't add the right ASIN, because it was already existed.
It is the same book, but with 2 different editions and not an extra book, that is wrong. Please corrected so that it will be only one book and 2 editions, and not two separate books.

message 4: by LenaRibka (new)

LenaRibka | 8 comments I checked, it is corrected already, thank you.

message 5: by Cassandra (last edited Mar 13, 2018 11:26AM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4919 comments Lena♥Ribka wrote: "It was not added as an extra edition, but as an extra book, that is not correct. I couldn't add the right ASIN, because it was already existed.
It is the same book, but with 2 different editions an..."

I'm not understanding what you're saying here; there was one valid Kindle edition, which already existed, and was correctly imported. You created another Kindle edition with the ASIN in the incorrect spot- all pub details the same. That makes it exactly the same book, incorrectly/improperly added. If the ASIN has already been added to an existing edition, that means don't add another exact same edition trying to use the same ASIN; don't put pub details in the wrong field just to get it to save.

The way it existed before you added the incorrect edition is what you're requesting here now- 2 valid editions, one Kindle, one paperback. That's what's left after I deleted the invalid duplicate.

This section of the librarians manual- https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2...- as well as others may be of use to you in explaining some of these things.

And if you're ever unsure, posting in the librarians group asking for help or clarification on something is perfectly fine.

message 6: by LenaRibka (new)

LenaRibka | 8 comments Ok. Because you were so friendly and obviously deleted the duplicate I explained how it WAS. It is not the first time I had to face this issue and I have never had a feeling being an idiot. But it is how you made me feel:

1) In the list of the book by M. Nava was two books with (almost) the same title. I noticed it accidentally when I checked the list of the author's books- one of them (a paperback) was marked as "read" on my TBR and another one (a kindle edition) wasn't even there.

+ Kindle edition (a duplicate that was Kindle edition) had only 4 ratings and no reviews at all, while paperbacks had at least double so many reviews and much more ratings.

I noticed that the readers (who were also accidentally my GR friends) READ this book, posted their reviews on the paperback edition, but were obviously irritated by the additional book in the list and just rated it (without posting their reviews ONCE MORE on the duplicate)

2) The reason for two books with the same title,-not two different editions, but books -was probably the title. In one of them book- that had also more rating and reviews- the title was Street People, in the Kindle edition that has just 4 rating and no reviews - "Street People: A Novel". I deleted " a novel" in the title. And added a kindle edition to already existed book, but I couldn't add the right ASIN and I couldn't delete duplicate, because it had already 4 ratings. But doesn't matter.

Now it is how it has to be: One book in the list of the author and two editions of this book- one kindle edition and one paperback within one book.
A little bit more friendliness would be though not wrong.
I won't bother you in the future. Thank you.

message 7: by Cassandra (last edited Mar 13, 2018 01:46PM) (new)

Cassandra (cassanj) | 4919 comments Lena♥Ribka wrote: "A little bit more friendliness would be though not wrong.
I won't bother you in the future. Thank you. "

I'm certainly sorry that you took offense to my explanation; I was only trying to explain to you what I did, and what was incorrect about what had been done- it is a learning process, and it seemed you didn't know what the error was here.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.