Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 11946 comments Team B:
Jayme (the ghost reader)
Valerie
Cory Day
Deedee

A place to discuss, motivate, enthuse.

message 2: by Valerie (last edited Mar 13, 2018 08:10AM) (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments As per usual, I am ridiculously excited by the prospect of a team game in RwS!

I started my book for 20.9, which clocks in at over 750 pgs, so I will be reading it for awhile - but it has lots of style pts. After that I have to read 2 books that I got through interlibrary loan (which means there are no renewals). They don't have much in the way of styles. I will be doing reviews for everything I read during the time frame of the game, so that will help.

message 3: by Jayme(the ghost reader) (last edited Mar 13, 2018 04:00PM) (new)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 2264 comments I will be starting a book for 10.6 which combos with 10.7 author first name Ashley. Geekerella and a review. I don't have too many combos for books this season.

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Jayme(the ghost reader) wrote: "I will be starting a book for 10.6 which combos with 10.7 author first name Ashley. Geekerella and a review. I don't have too many combos for books this season."

As long as we do reviews, we'll pick up points!

message 5: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments I don't have a lot of combos either, but since I've slated in at least one Shakespeare play, I'll definitely get started on that to get oldies, not a novel, and review points! Usually I'm a quantity reader, but this year I'm so busy that it's gone down a little, so I'm going to prioritize what I can to pick up those points :)

message 6: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Cory Day wrote: "I don't have a lot of combos either, but since I've slated in at least one Shakespeare play, I'll definitely get started on that to get oldies, not a novel, and review points! Usually I'm a quantit..."

Yes that was/is my plan as well. I'm also a quantity reader normally. However, as I mentioned I've tackled a jumbo!

It's too bad the interlibrary loan books showed up when they did, but I have no control over that. Neither are very long, so hopefully I will get to other books that have more styles within the month!

message 7: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Valerie wrote: "Cory Day wrote: "I don't have a lot of combos either, but since I've slated in at least one Shakespeare play, I'll definitely get started on that to get oldies, not a novel, and review points! Usua..."

I feel like jumbo books are just not worth it just for the style points. Two 300 page books are worth a lot more points than the extra 5 points I'd get for a 600 page book. I do get annoyed when a book is something like 489 pages though, and I miss out on those points!

message 8: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Cory Day wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Cory Day wrote: "I don't have a lot of combos either, but since I've slated in at least one Shakespeare play, I'll definitely get started on that to get oldies, not a novel, and rev..."

That's funny Cory, that is exactly how I think about it - even though one of my reading goals for this year was to tackle a jumbo. Mine is for 20.9, and actually does have a lot of combos, which is why I planned to read it within our team game time period.

message 9: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Valerie wrote: "Cory Day wrote: "Valerie wrote: "Cory Day wrote: "I don't have a lot of combos either, but since I've slated in at least one Shakespeare play, I'll definitely get started on that to get oldies, not..."

Sometimes it's worth it to tackle the jumbos - just not for the jumbo style points alone ;)

I started my Shakespeare book, but I'm not sure my brain is in it today, so I'm looking through the rest of my plans to see if I can find something a little less complex...

message 10: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Ok! Finally I've finished my jumbo and we are on the board!

It is post 151 = 45 styles.

message 11: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1868 comments I'm reading Demons, which comes with a lot of combos. It is a slow read so I might not finish until sometime in April. This edition has two pages at the back of the book with a character list and all the different names each character is known by. I know that is Russian culture, but it is still confusing for this American reader!

message 12: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Valerie wrote: "Ok! Finally I've finished my jumbo and we are on the board!

It is post 151 = 45 styles."

Yay!

I finished Measure for Measure, and I'll post as soon as I can. I'm also reading two books with okay combos, so hopefully by this weekend we'll have some more!!!

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Deedee wrote: "I'm reading Demons, which comes with a lot of combos. It is a slow read so I might not finish until sometime in April. This edition has two pages at the back of the book with a chara..."

I know! I love 'the Russians" (esp. Tolstoy) but I need a spreadsheet to know who is who....

message 14: by Valerie (last edited Apr 15, 2018 01:22PM) (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments I have a bit more time to think about this now, so I'll start a post keeping track of our progress:

40 styles (posts 114, 133, 134 Cory Day)*
45 styles (post 151, Valerie)
10 styles (post 171, Deedee)
20 styles (post 173, Valerie)
20 styles (post 215, Valerie)
30 styles (post 221, Deedee)***see message 16 below
35 styles (post 243, Valerie)
55 styles (post 264, Cory Day) !!
30 styles (post 268, Cory Day)
20 styles (post 271, Deedee)
15 styles (post 273, Cory Day)**
20 styles (post 274, Cory Day)
25 styles (post 275, Cory Day)
30 styles (post 304, Valerie)
25 styles (post 370, Valerie)
15 styles (post 372, Cory Day)
40 styles (post 373, Cory Day)
20 styles (post 378, Deedee)
35 styles (post 386, Valerie)
25 styles (post 401, Cory Day)
20 styles (post 402, Cory Day)
_______

*in case you are wondering about this, see my question in the season's "general question's' thread, and Kate's answer.
**see post 281 in completed task thread

message 15: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments I've finished two books (don't remember how many styles, but at least 20/book), and I think now I'm going to go with a few quick easy reads that won't have TONS of style points, but will hopefully be much faster to read...

message 16: by Valerie (last edited Mar 27, 2018 09:02AM) (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Deedee - in case you happen to see this before Elizabeth or Kate catch up on the scoring.... you forgot to claim 10 for your review in post 221.

message 17: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments I'm finally starting to post the books I've read! First one had 55 styles, so that's a decent start.

message 18: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 1868 comments Valerie wrote: "Deedee - in case you happen to see this before Elizabeth or Kate catch up on the scoring.... you forgot to claim 10 for your review in post 221."

Oh, thanks! Fixed it. I remembered the review but not the points LOL

message 19: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Well, I go away to Cleveland for the weekend, and look what happens! Maybe that is the key..... I should go away again and you all will clean up with the points!

I'm reading Lila which will have 30 styles. I think I would like to read The Blazing World, next because it has 35 styles. However, I am suddenly at the top of the wait list for Snow Crash on the library's overdrive system, so I may have to drop everything and read it (you only get it for 2 weeks and there are no renewals when there is a wait list). It only has 25 styles. I've been waiting over 4.5 months for it, and I think a couple of people must have dropped off the wait list.

message 20: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Those Shakespeare plays are good for a lot of styles! I may read another one...

I did take a break yesterday and read a low Lexile YA book, but I'm plugging my way through a non-fiction book and Northanger Abbey, both of which should have decent styles. Wednesday I'll be on an airplane for a while, so I should get a lot of reading done. After that I'll be on vacation for a week, and it's a hang out with friends and party kind of thing, so we'll see how much reading happens...

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Cory Day wrote: "Those Shakespeare plays are good for a lot of styles! I may read another one...

I did take a break yesterday and read a low Lexile YA book, but I'm plugging my way through a non-fiction book and N..."

Have fun on your holiday! Maybe between parties you can read..... ha, ha.....

message 22: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Just posted Snow Crash!

message 23: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments I did finish a couple of books over my vacation, so sometime in the next few days I'll post them. After I clear off the ones I've begun, I may pick up another Shakespeare play to pump up the score...

message 24: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Cory Day wrote: "I did finish a couple of books over my vacation, so sometime in the next few days I'll post them. After I clear off the ones I've begun, I may pick up another Shakespeare play to pump up the score..."

Oh, you're back! Hope you had a nice vacation!

I will be plugging away at The Blazing World, which isn't a page turner in my estimation but will get 35 pts. I will try my best to finish before the end of this game (the 14th).

message 25: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Yeah, the 14th is coming up quickly!!!

I'm halfway through two books now, so I might have a chance of finishing them and sneaking in that Shakespeare... let's see how it goes. I'm working on posting the two I finished now.

message 26: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Finished + posted The Blazing World, and added above. I only stuck with it for this game....

message 27: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments This morning I finished the jumbo book I was reading, for those grand 5 styles :-P

I also started reading The Merry Wives of Windsor, which should move quickly enough that I can finish and post by tomorrow and holds a ton of styles. My non-fiction book I'm reading is also due at the library, so the goal is to finish both it and the Shakespeare by tomorrow. We'll see how that goes!

message 28: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments Nothing like a due date to inspire 'getting the book read'!

I am in a bonspiel (curling) this evening and all day tomorrow, so unfortunately I probably won't get any more books finished. It's a little too bad, because I suspect the book that I starting today will be a relatively fast read.

message 29: by Cory Day (new)

Cory Day (cors36) | 1205 comments Valerie wrote: "Nothing like a due date to inspire 'getting the book read'!

I am in a bonspiel (curling) this evening and all day tomorrow, so unfortunately I probably won't get any more books finished. It's a li..."

You've been great! I think everyone did really well :) Have fun at the bonspiel!

message 30: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Brown | 2383 comments I did have fun at the bonspiel! Maybe a little too much fun ;)

We did do well with this game!