What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's Scary Story/Book involving a candle? Haunted house?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristine (last edited Mar 14, 2018 08:56AM) (new)

Kristine | 5 comments Hello! Ok this is probably a huge shot in the dark, but this story has been in the back of my mind since I read it as a kid. My memories are extremely vague and I can only remember a few details. I THINK it was in a collection of short stories, but I do NOT think it was the classic "Scary stories to read in the dark". All I remember is as follows: (edited)

Printed before 2000.
Takes place in the 1800s
Involves a creepy (haunted?) house.
I think a candle is important to the story somehow.... either something bad happens when you're alone in the house, or if the candle is blown out?
I remember someone (an old woman maybe?) waiting in the house for someone else to return by horse-drawn carriage?
There was something to do with an attic and/or shadows, I think.

That's all I got. Ring any bells??

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Did the story have illustrations?

message 3: by Kristine (new)

Kristine | 5 comments Tab wrote: "Did the story have illustrations?"

Aaah not that I remember.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Maybe A Candle in Her Room?

About when was it published? E.g. 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Jane-Emily by Patricia Clapp?

message 6: by Kristine (new)

Kristine | 5 comments I'm not sure when it was published... my fuzzy recollection is that the library book was rebound in one of those generic, blank covers. I'm guessing it was probably between 60's and 80's. I believe it took place in the 1800's though.

message 7: by Scott (last edited Mar 14, 2018 10:35AM) (new)

Scott The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring by John Bellairs ?

or any other Bellairs books.

Tho' they don't take place in the 1800s.

message 8: by Kristine (new)

Kristine | 5 comments Aaah I feel like you guys are so close lol. Your suggestions so far really feel close but not quite it.

message 9: by Angela (new)

Angela Johnson | 78 comments I used to read short ghost story collections compiled by Helen Hoke...titles like 'Terrors, terrors, terrors', 'Ghosts, ghosts, ghosts', 'Mysterious, Menacing, and Macabre', etc. The stories are written by all sorts of authors from famous to obscure. I used to check them out in Jr. high from the library...so perhaps your story is in one of those collections. I think they were published from the late 60s through the early 80s.

message 10: by Kristine (new)

Kristine | 5 comments Angela wrote: "I used to read short ghost story collections compiled by Helen Hoke...titles like 'Terrors, terrors, terrors', 'Ghosts, ghosts, ghosts', 'Mysterious, Menacing, and Macabre', etc. The stories are wr..."

This is promising... I did a quick search at my hometown library and they have several collections by this author... next time I'm in town maybe I'll skim through them!

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39247 comments Mod
Kristine, are you still looking for this or did you find it?