THE Group for Authors! discussion

116 views
Publishing and Promoting > advice on book promotions

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments I'm struggling to get out into the world and would appreciate any advice or direction. I've been on Goodreads for a while and still haven't figured out how best to use the site. Thanks. Steve


message 2: by Anne (new)

Anne Teoh | 15 comments Just lost my comment so I'll make this brief and sweet. Well, as I said, writing is so time-consuming, don't worry about being totally lost in your authorial world; just pop your head out for a breath of fresh air when needed. I hope you'll get lots of help and advise: it'd be better if you say what aspect of this site you need advice for.


message 3: by T. (new)

T. Renee | 18 comments Hi Steve,


Someone gave me some really good advice about getting myself out there, much like you I was very lost, now I'm just a little lost. I forget who, but if you check under the thread 'pacing' there's a some links to some pages that I think will help. Best advice I've gotten so far I got out of those. Turns out social media is important but it's best to start with one platform at a time.

Always,

T. Renee


message 4: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments Anne wrote: "Just lost my comment so I'll make this brief and sweet. Well, as I said, writing is so time-consuming, don't worry about being totally lost in your authorial world; just pop your head out for a bre..."
Thanks for the kind words. I'm having trouble finding the best place to promote my books. So far every group I've looked at frowns on self promotion. I certainly don't want to step on toes. If I may ask, what do you do to get out there?


message 5: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments T. wrote: "Hi Steve,


Someone gave me some really good advice about getting myself out there, much like you I was very lost, now I'm just a little lost. I forget who, but if you check under the thread 'paci..."

Thank you. How do I find "pacing" thread? I'm new to the computer world. Steve


message 6: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 278 comments Keep looking at the groups, Steve. Scroll through the discussion threads until you come to something that says something like "Author Promotions" or "Meet our Authors" then follow the rules for creating your own posts about your books. The rules are usually the first post in that thread.

I liked what you said in your profile about creating books for children.


message 7: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 306 comments If you're looking for sales, sounds like you might have to do some paid promotions. There are lots of threads on GR about this. Good luck!


message 8: by Rita (new)

Rita Chapman | 79 comments Steve, I host a different author each week on my website at www.ritaleechapman.com. Not a huge following but every little helps! If you are interested you can contact me through the website. You can find other authors offering interviews on some of the other threads.


message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric Westfall (eawestfall) | 177 comments You might want to browse through:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There are close to 4500 posts by now, but it covers a wide range of promotional ideas, sites, etc., and personal experiences with them. No idea whether it's of value, I just know the discussion exists.

Eric


message 10: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 223 comments Eric wrote: "You might want to browse through:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

There are close to 4500 posts by now, but it covers a wide range of promotional ideas..."


Eric, I've been following that thread since I first published in 2016 and it helped me a lot! The only thing is, many of the sites and methods mentioned in the beginning are a little outdated now (some sites no longer exist) so it may be best to start reading later in the thread for more recent posts.


message 11: by Marie Silk (new)

Marie Silk | 223 comments Steve,

It's good that you are sensitive to stepping on toes in the discussion groups, as self-promotion isn't well received in many of them. A good deal of GR members are here for the social network aspect. If you write reviews on books, contribute to discussions, and seem like an interesting person, GR members will naturally friend you and/or look at your profile and see that you're an author. This could lead to a trickle of sales over time. I would say that your first step should be claiming your author profile. Here are instructions: https://www.goodreads.com/author/program


message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsweetz25) | 4 comments Hi Steve,

Some authors feel if content of their books are awesome with a copied vocab and inspired storyline, their books will sell like hot cakes but I appreciate your thought that you feel as I do that book marketing and promotion is more important nowadays.

As an author myself, I believe paid promotions drain our money because if our book is priced at say $0.99 and we shell out $200, it makes very little sense that just for visibility and readership trails we shell out so much hard earned white money.

Also not each time when we release a book, is it possible to shell out so much.

Paid promotions dont get us the recognition that we need because the reviews can be biased and manipulated. It can even get us to the tag of bestseller nowadays!

The key is to build up a steady followers base and to keep them happy by making them as a part of family and not using them as objects for us to earn money.

Another key is to have the book in many formats like paperback, kindle and audiobooks so that we have a varied form of an audience to buy our books based on their preference.

Identify the readers who want to read your content because the reader is our God ( for now) so once you identify them, approach them so that your book is received more warmly .

All the best for your book. Hope you find this info useful.

:-) Sarah


message 13: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Keep looking at the groups, Steve. Scroll through the discussion threads until you come to something that says something like "Author Promotions" or "Meet our Authors" then follow the rules for cre..."

Thank you. Very kind. Steve


message 14: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi Steve,

Some authors feel if content of their books are awesome with a copied vocab and inspired storyline, their books will sell like hot cakes but I appreciate your thought that you feel as I ..."


D. wrote: "If you're looking for sales, sounds like you might have to do some paid promotions. There are lots of threads on GR about this. Good luck!"

Thank you! Steve


message 15: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments Marie Silk wrote: "Steve,

It's good that you are sensitive to stepping on toes in the discussion groups, as self-promotion isn't well received in many of them. A good deal of GR members are here for the social netwo..."


Thanks for the good advice. Steve


message 16: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments Thanks to everyone for the great advice and all the kind words of support! If I somehow missed responding to each of you in person then this post is for you. Steve


message 17: by Keith (new)

Keith Guernsey | 20 comments Rita does a great job! Keith


message 18: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments Hi everyone. I found a place to advertise on-line called Whizbuzz Books. The cost was only $49. for a year of promotion on their site as well as social media. It's too soon to know if it's working but for the price it's an easy try. Best wishes. Steve


message 19: by S.T. (new)

S.T. Holmes (suetropez) | 13 comments Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. I will look this site up and give it a try.


message 20: by John (new)

John Molloy | 19 comments Thanks Steve I


message 21: by John (new)

John Molloy | 19 comments Thanks Steve I will certainly look up this site.


message 22: by D. (new)

D. Thrush | 306 comments Never heard of Whizzbuzz books. Be careful. There are a lot of shady sites out there. There are lots of threads on GR that discuss advertising sites.


message 23: by Steve (new)

Steve Romano | 23 comments D. wrote: "Never heard of Whizzbuzz books. Be careful. There are a lot of shady sites out there. There are lots of threads on GR that discuss advertising sites."

So far I'm happy with their promotion. The cost is minimal so the risk is small.


message 24: by John (new)

John Molloy | 19 comments I've found whizzbuzz site and as yet I am not sure about advertising with them. They seem to be cheap but what you get is still out with the jury for now. I think just beware.


message 25: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 278 comments You could Google Whizzbuzzbooks reviews and see what people think.


message 26: by S.T. (last edited Mar 20, 2018 06:17AM) (new)

S.T. Holmes (suetropez) | 13 comments Steve wrote: "Hi everyone. I found a place to advertise on-line called Whizbuzz Books. The cost was only $49. for a year of promotion on their site as well as social media. It's too soon to know if it's working ..."

Hi Steve,

I looked up Whizzbuzz and the promo package seems very reasonable. I have decided to list 2 of my books with them. That is 600,000 more potential readers than before. Thanks for the good information.


message 27: by Afiena (new)

Afiena Kamminga | 3 comments than you, Steve/ with 2 books out, it's time to look into this!


message 28: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa Bush | 8 comments Good advise thanks


message 29: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fried | 17 comments As for Whizzbuzz, $49 isn't a lot of money, but you'll still be throwing it out. It's like paying $49 to have a single copy of your book put in a warehouse with hundreds of thousands of other books, where maybe ten or twelve shoppers pass through every day. Now it may make you feel good because it makes you think you're making efforts to promote your book. But that's all you're going to get out of it. I'm sure you won't take my word for it, but in another year or two you will have learned for yourselves.


message 30: by Afiena (new)

Afiena Kamminga | 3 comments guess the Whizzbuzz fees are small enough money to give it a try, though I think, Dennis, you may very well be right on about this; best thing to sell your book, unless its the kind with a very short shelf life...is to try get some copies into the hands of friends, hope they like it a lot, and wait for the word to spread making ever wider circles; and hope you have enough years to see that happen....


back to top