You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Themed Reads: Preparation > April 2018 - Book Nominations

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Peggy, Moderator (last edited Mar 15, 2018 05:46AM) (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14782 comments Very clear winner this month: Medical theme

It's time to nominate books. Please go ahead and nominate a book that fits the theme.

If you don't want to nominate your own book, you can second someone else's nomination instead, and that will count as your own nomination, and that book will be entered an extra time in random.org - giving the book an additional chance to make the cut.

Nominations can be seconded multiple times by different people . If you second a nomination, please make clear that is what you are doing. E.g. If I nominate "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", you need to state "I second Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone".

A couple of points to consider when nominating:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.

- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print AND 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) AND 3) published no less than 3 months ago.

- Please check the YLTO Group Book Shelf to ensure we haven't already read the book in the last 2 years before nominating it.

- One nomination/seconding per person.

Only 5 books will be selected to be in the poll when it comes to voting.

Each of the chosen group read books will have a discussion leader assigned to help facilitate the discussion. The discussion leader will be the person who originally nominated the book, or someone who seconded their nomination if they do not wish to do it.

Nominations close March 17.

Nominations
And the Mountains Echoed (Lisa)
Year of Wonders (Peggy - Sandra)
Frankenstein (Isaura - Kristie, Lanelle)
Call the Midwife (Janice)
Never Let Me Go (Clement - Colleen)
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks (Pragya - Margo)
Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness (Sarah)
The Midwife's Apprentice (Renee)

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I need to have a think on this one. So many options. Fiction or non-fiction?! Hmm. I know I have a medical historical fiction shelf too. So I'll be back!

message 3: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14782 comments I find it hard to come up with something because my options are too limited! Only one book came immediately to mind, Cutting for Stone, but it's way over the page limit. I gophered a bit and also found The Memory of Love which I own, but also too many pages.

Non-fiction might be easier to find.

I'm hoping for an interesting nomination I can second! Or I'll browse your shelf too Sarah ;-)

message 4: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments When I chose the Medical theme, I had Awakenings by Oliver Sacks in mind. I see now that there are too many pages to fit in the rules.
I need to do some more research!

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I will nominate And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. It fits the theme because Khaled Hosseini was a doctor before quitting to become a full time author.

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Clément wrote: "When I chose the Medical theme, I had Awakenings by Oliver Sacks in mind. I see now that there are too many pages to fit in the rules.
I need to do some more research!"

How about his The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales instead? It's much shorter.

message 7: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Here are a few lists for ideas:

Medicine and literature -
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/2...
Historical Medical Fiction - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...
Medical microhistories - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

message 8: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14782 comments Lisa wrote: "I will nominate And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini. It fits the theme because Khaled Hosseini was a doctor before quitting to become a full time author."

Interesting! I didn't know that.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13162 comments I'll have to think on this one. My first thought was Small Great Things, but it's a bit too long at 480 pages.

message 10: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Sarah wrote: "Clément wrote: "When I chose the Medical theme, I had Awakenings by Oliver Sacks in mind. I see now that there are too many pages to fit in the rules.
I need to do some..."

I saw this one as well but thanks to the lists you provided, I found Never Let Me Go in the "Medicine and Literature" one. I will trust the list and nominate this one since I have wanted to read this book for the longest time.

(If it is not acceptable, I nominate The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales instead)

message 11: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14782 comments Clément wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Clément wrote: "When I chose the Medical theme, I had Awakenings by Oliver Sacks in mind. I see now that there are too many pages to fit in the rules.
I n..."

The blurb doesn't sound very medical, and sometimes books end up on lists but do not really fit. I see several GR members have read it though, so hopefully someone can confirm whether it fits :)

message 12: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14782 comments I got inspiration from Sarah's shelf and I nominate Year of Wonders

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments There are definite medical elements to Never Let Me Go. It's been a while since I read it but I know there are others in the group who have read it more recently who can confirm.

message 14: by Isaura (new)

Isaura Fuzinatto One of the first books that came to my mind about Medical Theme is Frankenstein, and since it has been on my TBR list for a while I thought it'd be a good opportunity.

message 15: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47832 comments I'll nominate Call the Midwife. It's a memoir of a young midwife who works out of the East End of London in the 1950's.

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13162 comments Oh, I'll second Frankenstein!

message 17: by Lanelle (last edited Mar 13, 2018 07:57AM) (new)

Lanelle | 3076 comments Frankenstein would be a great book to read and discuss. I third that nomination.

message 18: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments I am not sure how to make the link appear. I want to nominate the Midwifes Apprentice by Karen Cushman. It is a Newberry medal winner I have wanted to read for ages.

message 19: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments If you're on tge website Renee there is a link above the comments box "add book/author". Click that and type in the book name and you can then select the right one from the list. It will then appear in your comment.

message 20: by Sandra (last edited Mar 13, 2018 09:37AM) (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9275 comments Peggy wrote: "I got inspiration from Sarah's shelf and I nominate Year of Wonders"

This one was the first that came to my mind, so I second it.

message 21: by Pragya (new)

Pragya  (reviewingshelf) | 3533 comments Ah, this is such a difficult decision. I have tons on my list. I have this on my shelf and abandoned it a couple of years back. I nominate The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.

message 22: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments What a selection so far!

message 23: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments I would like to nominate Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness. It's got a high star rating and I've heard some really good stuff about it from both GR and RL friends. I've never nominated a non fiction book before so that's a new one for me. Could generate some interesting discussion.

message 24: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13162 comments So many I want to read now! I think I own three of these. :)

message 25: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments I have read Never Let Me Go. Later in the book there are medical issues, but it's not primarily a medical book. The book raises many ethical issues, and some of them relate to medicine. I do not think, though, that overall I would classify the book as "medical."

message 26: by Almeta (last edited Mar 14, 2018 04:47PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10071 comments Clément wrote: "....I saw this one as well but thanks to the lists you provided, I found Never Let Me Go in the "Medicine and Literature" one. I will trust the list and nominate this one since I have wanted to read this book for the longest time.
...."

Are we talking stories with doctors and nurses? Stories with physically diseased persons? Mentally struggling persons? Devastating viruses? Medical research? Medical Experiments? Pharmaceutical drama? Medical Ethics?

Medical Theme is pretty broad. Never Let Me Go does fit within that vast area.

message 27: by Almeta (last edited Mar 13, 2018 11:08AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10071 comments Here is the link to The Midwife's Apprentice. My first thought was watch the number of pages...but I don't see a minimum listed in the rules.

***Peggy, is there a minimum that we are looking for in addition to the maximum number of pages restriction?

message 28: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10071 comments My usual searches take me to mystery/thrillers first, so Robin Cook was my first thought.

My next thought was the author of Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers,...Mary Roach. But I don't think I want to discuss Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex with you lot!☻

I think I'm going to wait and see what else is nominated. (view spoiler)

message 29: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments We've had very short books before (under 200 pages). It's not a fhallenge so we don't set a minimum. I guess as long as it would generate enough discussion that would be ok. If it's a short book of fluff then perhaps not. Lol.

message 30: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9275 comments Almeta wrote: "But I don't think I want to discuss Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex with you lot!☻"

I am sure it would be an awkward discussion. But, you know how we are here at YLTO. We like challenges. :D

message 31: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14782 comments Thanks Sarah! Fewer pages is no issue if it generates discussion. I think Renee's suggestion is fine.

Clement's suggestion too. The theme is very broad so I think that elements of medicine fit too.

I'll check both books for availability etc and add them to the list tomorrow.

message 32: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I see several books here I would like to read! It looks like April may be a good month for the group read.

I've read Never Let Me Go as well and I would say it fits in the medical topic.

message 33: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments It's going to be tricky to choose. There are quite a few I have on my wishlist/tbr. I was going to nominate a different book but it's quite expensive, libraries have massive wait lists for it still as it only came out at the end of last year. So I opted for something different. I reckon a non fiction as a group read would be good - we've not had one for a while either. Henrietta Lacks would be good. And Frankenstein. And Year of Wonders. Hmm.

message 34: by Casceil (new)

Casceil | 2615 comments You never know what will rise to the top in a poll. It occurs to me we could have an interesting month if the two books chosen were Frankenstein and Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers.

message 35: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14782 comments Haha, that would be interesting Casceil!

message 36: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9578 comments Pragya wrote: "Ah, this is such a difficult decision. I have tons on my list. I have this on my shelf and abandoned it a couple of years back. I nominate The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks."

I second The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

I agree with Casceil that Never Let Me Go does not have a medical theme.

message 37: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14782 comments Interesting that some people say the theme is medical, and others say it's not. You would think that something like that is pretty clear. Either or theme is a bit confusing, or the book is.

message 38: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9578 comments Personally I don't think either is confusing.

In your position I would let it go through and is people think it fits they can vote for it.

message 39: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14782 comments Yes, that's what I've done. The theme is very broad this time so if there are some medical elements in it, it's fine. And indeed, people can decide when it's time to vote.

message 40: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments Peggy wrote: "Haha, that would be interesting Casceil!"

Just chiming in on never let me go. It is a book that was used in a medical ethics course i took. I cant explain why without giving a spoiler. There fore it does fit the medical theme.

message 41: by KimeyDiann (new)

KimeyDiann | 2174 comments I agree that if the theme were set in a hospital or something else like that, Never Let me Go would not fit. But there is a definite medical-related undercurrent/theme in the book. And it would actually make for some very interesting conversation if it were chosen as a group read. If it is, I probably won't re-read the book, but I will be stalking the conversations. :)

message 42: by Almeta (last edited Mar 14, 2018 04:48PM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 10071 comments Peggy wrote: "Interesting that some people say the theme is medical, and others say it's not. You would think that something like that is pretty clear. Either or theme is a bit confusing, or the book is."

That's why i tried to give a broad description in message 26! Are any one of those topics off limits?

The thing is, if we tell why the book is medical, then we spoil the book!☺

message 43: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13162 comments No worries, Almeta! Peggy has already allowed the book. It certainly has garnered a lot of discussion (already) though!

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 47832 comments It was one the first books my real life book club read and it still holds the record for the biggest discussion.

message 45: by Eliestal (new)

Eliestal | 255 comments Even if the book is not chosen, I am glad that it sparked so much discussion already! :p

message 46: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments @Almeta - all the things you listed would work given the broad medical theme. But it needs to be obvious how it fits.

message 47: by Colleen (new)

Colleen | 54 comments Sarah if it was obvious it would ruin the novel . I read this book some time ago and I still think about it. It's not easily forgotten . Renee I can see why it was part of a medical ethics course . I'll second this novel.

message 48: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) | 1624 comments Yes it was a wonderful book it made me really think about some of the changes that were happening in medicine. Sometime you need a picture to understand the facts.

It sparked some really insightful discussions.

Colleen wrote: "Sarah if it was obvious it would ruin the novel . I read this book some time ago and I still think about it. It's not easily forgotten . Renee I can see why it was part of a medical ethics course ...."

message 49: by Margo (new)

Margo | 9578 comments Renee wrote: "Yes it was a wonderful book it made me really think about some of the changes that were happening in medicine. Sometime you need a picture to understand the facts.

It sparked some really insightfu..."

I read the book last year Renee and I loved it. I wasn't thinking about the theme from an ethics POV. Anyway, it's a darn good book and everyone should read it at some time!

message 50: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18168 comments Colleen wrote: "Sarah if it was obvious it would ruin the novel . I read this book some time ago and I still think about it. It's not easily forgotten . Renee I can see why it was part of a medical ethics course ...."

I wasn't talking specifically about Never Let Me Go, but referring to the list of potential book types that Almeta listed. I know that knowing how that particular book qualifies for the theme could potentially spoil the book so it's good that those who have read it can chime in to say whether it qualifies or not, as has happened. But nominating a book that "might" have some medical stuff in because it's a crime novel and someone is bound to die and be taken to a morgue is a bit loose even with a broad theme. I guess that was what I was trying to get at.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.