The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

The World Goes On
This topic is about The World Goes On
International Booker Prize > 2018 MBI Shortlist: The World Goes On

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hugh (last edited Mar 13, 2018 04:12AM) (new)

Neil | 1824 comments Just finished this (my first experience of Krasznahorkai). Interesting, but not blown away. I know Paul on here has read more (all?) of his books and has said in his review that this is far from his best. In my review, I have said I think I would like to read a novel by him, but I won't be hurrying into that.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8203 comments I am increasingly thinking that it is a shame this was MBI longlisted since it feels quite a few people are trying it and giving up on / feeling they've done Krasznahorkai.

Which would be something of a tragedy given he is perhaps the world's finest living writer (maybe Marias runs him close). As Sebald - the previous holder of that title until his untimely death said, his writing "far surpasses all the lesser concerns of contemporary writing".

message 4: by Carl (new)

Carl (catamite) | 117 comments Where should we start Paul? I’m keen to read him too.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8203 comments Easiest intro is The Last Wolf / Herman

Satantango - actually his first novel - is perhaps his best known novel, and has the added advantage of a 7.5 hour film version if you end the book feeling too cheerful. It took the Best Translated Book Award in the US in 2013.

Seiobo There Below is quite brilliant although in a way atypical of the Eastern European novels of the apocalypse for which he is best known in English - won the BTBA in 2014 (he's the only author to win twice).

My personal favourite is War on War but it is one of his more obscure works and wouldn't be recommended to start.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8203 comments Our Krasznahorkai thread is here
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 7: by Carl (new)

Carl (catamite) | 117 comments Thank you. I have Santantango, Herman, and The Melancholy of Resistance on my shelf so I might start with Santantango.

message 8: by Bob (new) - added it

Bob Lopez | 25 comments I found this book a challenging place to start reading the longlist. I was a little confounded but found the writing, if not necessarily engaging, transcendent--an odd place find myself, to be sure. I was particularly fond the of the three lectures story.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8203 comments The three lectures was my favourite piece as well.

message 10: by Val (new) - added it

Val | 1016 comments I collected Satantango from the library this morning. So far it has accompanied me to the bathroom, kitchen, compost heap and dustbin, and I have only briefly broken off reading it to make this comment.

message 11: by Val (new) - added it

Val | 1016 comments Question for all group members, but especially Paul:
This is the regarded as the most accessible of Krasznahorkai's works. I am both enchanted and disorientated. Should I buy "The World Goes On"?

message 12: by Paul (last edited Apr 26, 2018 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8203 comments The most accessible is Herman and the Last Wolf I would say, not particularly this one.

Other than for MBI or Krasznahorkai completion purposes I would leave this one until after the 4 I mention above

message 13: by Val (last edited Apr 26, 2018 01:27PM) (new) - added it

Val | 1016 comments Thanks Paul. I will buy that one. I am not sure at this stage that I will become a Krasznahorkai completist, but I do want to read more.

message 14: by Paul (new) - rated it 3 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8203 comments Seiobo and War on War are the two must reads at some point - Melancholy of Resistance the closest to Satantango.

message 15: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 4313 comments I ordered The Last Wolf, I have a nice stack of short story collections and The Last Wolf has been on my radar.

message 16: by Val (new) - added it

Val | 1016 comments Paul wrote: "Easiest intro is The Last Wolf / Herman"
Not for those who feel uncomfortable about breaking off reading part way through a sentence it isn't.