Die, My Love
This topic is about Die, My Love
International Booker Prize > 2018 MBI Longlist: Die, My Love

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hugh (last edited Mar 13, 2018 03:26AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3090 comments Mod
This topic is for discussion of

Die, My Love by Ariana Harwicz Ariana Harwicz (Argentina), Sarah Moses & Carolina Orloff, Die, My Love (Charco Press)

This is the only book on the shortlist that I have read, thanks to its shortlisting for the Republic of Consciousness prize. I am delighted to see it here - it is powerful, atmospheric, dark but rather beautiful. (My review)

message 3: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Lopez | 25 comments This was a pretty grim novel, the themes, the style, the violence reminded me a lot of Elfriede Jelinek.

message 4: by Paul (last edited Apr 04, 2018 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8482 comments It is definitely grim but very powerful. But I think the reason she is a "bad parent" is definitely because she is psychologically disturbed.

Incidentally, there is a strong autobiographical element to this book - and writing it was cathartic. Worth knowing that Ariana had a second child who was born pretty much on the day the longlist came out.

I always say that I was born when I wrote Die, My Love. Before then, I was alive, in the same way that everybody is alive, yet for me that is not really being alive. I had recently had a baby, I had moved to live in the countryside next to a forest. I would watch the thunderstorms, I would go horse-riding, but that was not life for me. And then I wrote Die, My Love, immersed in that desperation between death and desire. Die, My Love comes from that. I wasn’t aware I was writing a novel. I was not a writer, rather, I was saving myself, slowly lifting my head out of the swamp with each line.
from an interview with a fellow RoC judge:
https://neverimitate.wordpress.com/20...

message 5: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Lopez | 25 comments Paul wrote: "from an interview with a fellow RoC judge"

That interview is fantastic. Love this part:

"...social media seems to me to be politically useless. It is the weapon given to you by the system that you are out to criticise. It is like drinking water from the enemy’s hands, or ranting and raving in the owner’s mansion. It seems to me that providing a space for the most rebellious to complain as long as they do it within the system’s language restrictions and general terms and conditions, is a cynical and very smart gesture."

Can't wait to read more from her.

message 6: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val | 1016 comments That was intense.

message 7: by Sam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sam | 1597 comments I see this novel is highly rated. I'm wondering what I am missing. I did read it close to another novel that had similarities and that I preferred, and I am wondering if that is why I didn't care for this. I found the novel a bit overwritten, similar to the problem with Sylvia Plath or Louis-Ferdinand Celine.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8482 comments Fair point Sam - it is very intense (just typed that then saw Val used exact same words) and I can see some might say it strays into the overwritten. I suspect the author - indeed most authors - would accept a comparison to Plath and Celine.

message 9: by Ctb (new) - added it

Ctb | 197 comments I think parts are darkly hilarious.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 518 comments Given how many of my GR friends loved this book, I thought I would enjoy it. But no, I did not. I did not enjoy one bit being inside the unnamed mother's post-partum depression.

message 11: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8482 comments Exciting news. New Ariana Harwicz novel, translated by Carolina Orloff and Annie McDermott, Feebleminded, due in May 2019 from Charco Press.

Sneak preview here:
http://www.thewhitereview.org/fiction...

message 12: by Hugh (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was just thinking that it Die, My Love is one of the most glaring omissions on our best of the year list, so that will be one to look forward to!

message 13: by Paul (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8482 comments Ang has rectified that. But a 2017 book for me - which is one inevitable issue with a best of year list.

message 14: by Hugh (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree, but I think allowing a certain amount of overlap is healthy, because we don't all get to new books as quickly as you do!

message 15: by Paul (last edited Dec 05, 2018 02:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8482 comments Agreed* - but then do I vote for it as I didn't read it in 2018?

(* and actually a lot of the Booker books I tend not to read till next year e.g. Normal People, Warlight, Low & Quiet Sea would be 'maybe when it's in paperback' books for me, 2019-20 reads)

message 16: by Hugh (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have a few on this list that I plan to read in paperback too. The only one nominated so far which I read in 2017 is The Gallows Pole, and I intend to include that in my rankings...