The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

The White Book
This topic is about The White Book
International Booker Prize > 2018 MBI Shortlist: The White Book

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hugh (last edited Mar 13, 2018 04:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3368 comments Mod
The White Book by Han Kang Han Kang (South Korea), Deborah Smith, The White Book (Portobello Books)

This will probably be the next book I read once 2666 is out of the way. I am really looking forward to it.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6120 comments Its brilliant Hugh - their (Han Kang and Deborah's) best I think. As I have said on another forum though I would have preferred Deborah Smith to have been nominated as a publisher this time around (having already won the award as a translator alongside Han Kang)

Robert | 2106 comments Ordered my copy :)

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6120 comments Quite a contrast to 2666 though - probably about 1/20th of the word count I would guess.

Robert | 2106 comments Gumble's Yard wrote: "Quite a contrast to 2666 though - probably about 1/20th of the word count I would guess."

I also doubt if the white book has a recipe for BBQ sauce as well

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6120 comments White sauce obviously

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9671 comments 달떡 (crescent-moon rice cakes) play a rather vital role.

June | 121 comments This was a beautiful, solemn book. I was glad to see Smith nominated as I thought the translation felt tighter and more seamless than it did in The Vegetarian.

message 10: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil | 1978 comments I read this today (it's very short!). What a stunningly beautiful and emotional book.

message 11: by Hugh (new) - rated it 5 stars

I could try to say more than Neil has, but can't beat that for a simple encapsulation.

message 12: by Val (new) - rated it 5 stars

Val | 1016 comments Neil wrote: "I read this today (it's very short!). What a stunningly beautiful and emotional book."
Well put Neil.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6120 comments Eight of us have read this now and seven rank it first of the books they have read. The other second.

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 672 comments For me, this tops the shortlist hands down. My review -- https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....

message 15: by Hugh (new) - rated it 5 stars

This was not an easy decision, but I have moved this down to number two on my list because I think Flights deserves the top place. Not that there is anything wrong with this one - both are exceptionally good.

message 16: by Neil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Neil | 1978 comments Hugh, that’s interesting because I have been considering doing the same thing. I loved this book, but Flights is staying with me more.

message 17: by Paul (new) - rated it 5 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 9671 comments 안돼!

WndyJW | 5565 comments I read The White Book yesterday, finally. What a beautiful book. I will dip into it from time to time just for the prose.
I see why most of you rank it number 1.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The White Book (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Han Kang (other topics)
Deborah Smith (other topics)