The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

Go, Went, Gone
This topic is about Go, Went, Gone
International Booker Prize > 2018 MBI Longlist: Go, Went, Gone

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hugh (last edited Mar 13, 2018 04:05AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3164 comments Mod
Go, Went, Gone by Jenny Erpenbeck Jenny Erpenbeck (Germany), Susan Bernofsky, Go, Went, Gone (Portobello Books)

message 2: by LindaJ^ (last edited Mar 28, 2018 02:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 566 comments I really, really, really liked this book. Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show.... Erpenbeck is fast rising on my list of favorite authors. This one was quite different than Visitation and The End of Days but with the same exquisite, somewhat emotionally detached, prose. So far it and The Stolen Bicycle are my favorites on the MBI long list but I've only read 4.5 so far.

message 3: by Paul (last edited Mar 28, 2018 02:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 8757 comments I didn't like this one quite as much as the other two as at times it felt the desire to do the (very important) subject justice overwhelmed the literary aspects. Still a 4 star read for me - but having read 12 of the 13 it is just squeezed off my shortlist.

My review
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Neil | 1885 comments I've just finished this and have similar feelings to Paul, although I haven't read any other Erpenbeck to make the comparison. This one felt like an important book about a key topic, but not necessarily a "brilliant book". I gave it 4 stars, though.

Meike (meikereads) I have mixed feelings about the book: I feel like the descriptive parts were pretty well done, while the analytical parts were borderline stupid (who's to blame? "Politics" and "the law"! Wow, that level of complexity really blows me away. Not.).

Here's my review.

message 6: by Tony (new)

Tony | 592 comments Too uneven. Currently rereading it in German, and while some parts are emotional, others are dull and plodding (and my god is he dense at times for an academic...).

Louise | 222 comments Yay finished my second long list book, interesting, I like the language (read a Danish translation).