Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Masques (Sianim, #1 / Aralorn, #1)
This topic is about Masques
Archived: BOM/SGOM > Masques (Sianim #1) by Patricia Briggs [Start Date: March 18th, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Mar 12, 2018 11:19PM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Masques (Sianim #1), by Patricia Briggs

Backed by an army of undead, Geoffrey ae'Magi, master of illusion, threatens to devour Aralorn's peaceful kingdom of Reth... — The ae'Magi is corrupt and yet irresistibly charismatic, the horror at his core shaded by a spell-cast mask of regal charm. Only a few have the will to resist his evil domination... like King Myr, dragon blessed, Wolf, driven by immortal rage, and Aralorn, weaponsmistress of the shapeshifting race.

Captured and brought to the Archmage's castle, Aralorn faces slow death by torture unless faithful Wolf can find her in a labrynth of power and shadows.

❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂❂

We are starting another series… please join us, or just stop by and say “Hi!”

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments .

Loriidae I have the audio for the first two. looking forward to this one

message 4: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Me too!

message 5: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ready for tomorrow?

Loriidae Ooh yeah!

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Ditto!

Loriidae I started the audio. The introduction was interesting. I'm not sure if it's in the epub but basically it is Briggs justifying / explaining her debut novel.

Loriidae I listened to the end of Chapter Two about 20%. Really enjoying it. I like that it is high fantasy rather than paranormal.

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Mar 19, 2018 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm enjoying it, too. Listening to the audio, but I am having to refer to the Kindle version to figure some of the characters out. Also, I can tell this is one of her earlier books. The flow is not quite as smooth as her later writings. And the world-building is skimpy. Still... enjoying it.

Loriidae Listened through Chapter Four
I am enjoying the development of the story, however I am finding the narrator's voice (sounds quite nasal to me) a little distracting. I would have liked to have read (view spoiler)

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I agree with you, Loriidae... on all you said.

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm about where you are. I'll listen to a lot more tomorrow, as I'm driving.

message 14: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Sorry I’m late, RL interfered. Started today and I too am enjoying it so far.

message 15: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Mar 21, 2018 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ch. 3
Do you think (view spoiler)

message 16: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 21, 2018 05:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae Gisela what chapter are you on? I don't want to read your spoiler until I know it's not .... well a spoiler lol.

message 17: by Gisela, Moderator (last edited Mar 21, 2018 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Ah sorry, it’s ch.3 I think. Edited my post

Loriidae All good Gisela thanks. re your spoiler I initially thought the same as you but (view spoiler)

Through Chapter Six
While I am still enjoying it (view spoiler)

Re my comment earlier re: (view spoiler)

Loriidae So at the beginning of Chapter Seven
I have swung back again. (view spoiler)

message 20: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Chapter 8 (view spoiler)

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I’m on the GRs app, so can’t open the spoilers. I finished, though. Enjoyed it. PB is a good story teller. I’ll try & get on a regular computer tomorrow...

Loriidae I am midway through chapter ten.

It is interesting that the PB says "Wolfsbane is a tightly-coupled sequel to Masques, and won't make much sense by itself. Other than Wolfsbane, this is a loosely-woven series, and the books can be read in any order. They share the same world, but each book is a stand-alone story with its own cast of characters." On the GR series page.

Loriidae Gisela re your chapter 8 spoiler... Yes it became fairly obvious in the end.

I rarely read blurbs, I usually do when I initially add a new author to my TBR, but with an author I know I like to go in cold with no expectations. I will go back and read this one after I finish so I can comment.

message 24: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 23, 2018 05:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Loriidae Chapter Ten
That's interesting (view spoiler)

Loriidae Busy day, hopefully I will get a chance to finish it tomorrow.

message 26: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments Loriidae wrote: "Chapter Ten
That's interesting...

Yeah, he’s a jerk.

Loriidae Finished
Overall I really enjoyed it. It was an ingenious way towards immortality. (view spoiler) I am really interested to read Wolfsbane especially with PB saying that it was needed to makes sense of Aralorn . Three stars, I was tempted to give it 4 just because of the unusual take on magic and shapeshifters but the writing did fall away in places.

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, Gisela, I figured out who Wolf was early on.

I did get more and more into this story as I went along. I can tell this is one of PB's earlier books; however, she was a good story-teller from the first.

(view spoiler)

Also, Loriidae, I agree with your comment in #27 - about the people remembering the ae'Magi differently. Makes it more "realistic" - for lack of a better word.

Loriidae April: How about the 21st or so as I am due to start Jane Eyre on the 13th.

Any particular dates work? Anyone?

message 30: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments The 21st is good for me.

message 31: by Gisela, Moderator (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 4022 comments 21st is good

Loriidae Excellent thanks looking forward to continuing the series with you both. :)

Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Jane Eyre (other topics)
Masques (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Patricia Briggs (other topics)