What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Children of Time
This topic is about Children of Time
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Apocalyptic book about children taken by elderly woman and put into sleeping pods until after computer apocalypse. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1 comments I read this when I was in elementary school (sometime in the 90s). It is either from the 80s or 90s, I think. There are so many parts of the book that vividly stuck with me over the years, but I cannot for the life of me remember the name.

The book starts with a boy and his parents. They're living in a future world with more advanced technology and the mother of the boy is slightly overprotective, making him wear a raincoat that has an internal thermostat. She turns the coat's temperature a little too high.

There is something wrong with the earth. And many are planning to leave earth to a colony in space. (An impending apocalypse? Depletion of natural resources?)

In this world, apparently not many people are able to have children, so the children spend occasional weekends staying with other adults in the community. (I guess to help them have the experience of having a child?)

The boy (main character) is set to go and stay with a wealthy elderly woman. He was specially requested by her for being smart or good at math (or something like that?). When he arrives, there are many, many children in her care. It operates a bit like a boarding school? They're put through martial arts classes and other things. At night, their food is drugged so that they will sleep, and their beds lower into a hidden chamber where they are placed in pods that prevent them from aging.

Of course, the main character is fighting against what's happening and wants to get back to his family, but he can't leave.

He is awoken from his pod too early by the elderly lady's evil assistant(?) with a plan to kill him, I think, and the boy finds himself on a very different, post-apocalyptic earth many, many generations later.

To sum it up, there's an upcoming apocalypse. The woman is collecting smart/strong children and puts them into pod things to protect from the apocalypse and sets the pods to release them when the earth has recovered so they can rebuild humanity. But she's kind of evil, and a man who works for her is definitely evil? And he lets the main character out too early, before the earth has recovered.

Heeelp, this book has PLAGUED me for so long! I need to know what it is.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Madden | 2 comments I've also been looking for this book. I too read it in the early to mid 90s. My memory pretty much matches the OP, but I think I can add some details that might help pinpoint it. (I spent a morning bouncing around search engines looking for anything related and found nothing. It was hard to even find this post!)

- I remember the boy as being a bit older, perhaps early teenager. In fact, he might have been older than all the other children the woman had collected. He was going to be trained to be their prince after the apocalypse.

- I remember the woman's dwelling as being remote and like a castle.

- I think there was also a girl, going to be trained to be the princess. The boy and girl weren't friends at first, but eventually became so?

- The child sharing was mandatory, enforced by the government, I think. At the end of each period away from home, each child had the option to be adopted by the people they'd been living with. The woman forged the papers claiming that all the children wanted to be adopted by her, that's how she collected them. The protagonist's parents couldn't believe he would choose adoption; an early scene in the book spells out that he would never do that.

- I don't remember the woman as elderly, at least not at first. She was wealthy, and may have had a title ("Lady") that she purchased. I think she wanted to be called "Mother," which the protagonist didn't like. However, at the end of the book, the boy and girl encounter her after being awakened. She'd been awakened from sleep long before anyone else had, so she's much older than she had been.

message 4: by Jason (new)

Jason Madden | 2 comments That's exactly it! The cover was immediately familiar. Thank you!

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19035 comments Glad to help out!

I hope Victoria also comes back to see.