Never too Late to Read Classics discussion

Archive YA/Children Group Read > Which Lucy Maud Montgomery books have you read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Rosemarie | 8264 comments Mod
Lucy Maud Montgomery has achieved fame from her wonderful Anne of Green Gables series of books, but she also written many other books that are not as well known.

How many of these books have you read?

Emily of New Moon
Emily Climbs
Emily's Quest
Pat of Silver Bush
Mistress Pat
Kilmeny of the Orchard
Magic for Marigold
The Story Girl
The Golden Road
Chronicles of Avonlea
Further Chronicles of Avonlea
A Tangled Web
The Blue Castle

Jane of Lantern Hill which was our January YA book of the month.

message 2: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Mar 12, 2018 08:54PM) (new)

If anyone is interested in reading any of the above books, I will set up a buddy read thread if more members would like to join in.
That way we can set our own pace and take our time reading these wonderful books.

message 3: by Patrick, From USA Sci-fi/Fantasy & Horror (new)

Patrick | 651 comments Mod
Sadly, I've read 0! I want to read her Anne books. I love the movie with Megan Fellows.

message 4: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5590 comments Mod
I have only read Anne of Green Gables :(

message 5: by Piyangie, Classical Princess (new)

Piyangie | 991 comments Mod
Lesle wrote: "I have only read Anne of Green Gables :("

Me too, Lesle. :-(

message 6: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

How many of our members have read all the Anne books?

message 8: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (last edited Mar 13, 2018 10:45PM) (new)

message 9: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments For me it is more a case of which books I have not read, and I would be interested in ANY buddy read both for L.M. Montgomery's longer works and her short story collections.

message 10: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I was thinking of reading Pat of Silver Bush and Mistress Pat sometime during the summer, since I associate her books with summer vacation.

message 11: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I was thinking of reading Pat of Silver Bush and Mistress Pat sometime during the summer, since I associate her books with summer vacation."

I have read the first but not the second so yes, that would be lovely.

message 12: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Great. I will let you know closer to the actual time of reading.

message 13: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Great. I will let you know closer to the actual time of reading."

Sure, thanks. I might also reread the Emily series and the Story Girl series, as my Montgomery books need reviews.

message 14: by Rachana (new)

Rachana | 41 comments Jane of Lantern Hill is the only book of L M Montgomery that I have read this February but it is a very BEAUTIFUL book.. every girl in her teenage years must read this one once for the subtle messages it has in it which can shape someone's life for the good.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1185 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I was thinking of reading Pat of Silver Bush and Mistress Pat sometime during the summer, since I associate her books with summer vacation."

Let me know when you plan to read Pat of Silver Bush, Rosemarie. I'd like to join in.

message 16: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

It will probably be some time in June, and I will let the group know so that anyone who wants to read along with us can join in. The more the merrier!

message 17: by Sydney (last edited Apr 16, 2018 07:05AM) (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) Read most of the books mentioned in message 1. I tend to read an author "to death" then have to take a break, which is where I am now. But would be happy to join in the Pat of Silverbush discussion this summer, if available.

message 18: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

That would be great, Sydney.

message 19: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Sydney wrote: "Read most of the books mentioned in message 1. I tend to read an author "to death" then have to take a break, which is where I am now. But would be happy to join in the Pat of Silverbush discussion..."

I never get enough of L.M. Montgomery.

message 20: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) Me either. They are what I call "feel good" books. Pretty settings, conflict, resolution, happy ending!

message 21: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Sydney wrote: "Me either. They are what I call "feel good" books. Pretty settings, conflict, resolution, happy ending!"

Although with The Golden Road, the ending does leave a painful premonition for Cecily King.

message 22: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 70 comments The eight Anne books, the three Emily books, The Blue Castle and The Story Girl and some short stories I found on Kindle for free.

message 23: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Audrey wrote: "The eight Anne books, the three Emily books, The Blue Castle and The Story Girl and some short stories I found on Kindle for free."

You can also get very cheap collections of Montgomery's entire oeuvre.

message 24: by Sydney (new)

Sydney (slknutsen) Manybooks wrote: "Sydney wrote: "Me either. They are what I call "feel good" books. Pretty settings, conflict, resolution, happy ending!"

Although with The Golden Road, the ending does leave a painful..."

Oh, haven't read that one! Look forward to it.

message 25: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

The buddy read for Pat of Silver Bush and Mistress Pat will begin in June and continue through the summer if our members need extra time. The thread will stay open even in the archives if you have a really busy summer. 🌞

message 26: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Rosemarie wrote: "The buddy read for Pat of Silver Bush and Mistress Pat will begin in June and continue through the summer if our members need extra time. The thread will stay open even in the archives if you have ..."

Thank you for reminding me, I would have forgotten and been very disappointed.

message 27: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Sydney wrote: "Manybooks wrote: "Sydney wrote: "Me either. They are what I call "feel good" books. Pretty settings, conflict, resolution, happy ending!"

Although with The Golden Road, the ending do..."

I like it better than the Story Girl in fact, but there is a bit of sadness included.

message 28: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Thanks, Manybooks. I haven't read those for a long time so I am looking forward to it as well.

message 29: by Brian (last edited Aug 02, 2018 07:58PM) (new)

Brian Reynolds | 3776 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Here is the list of the Anne books:
Anne of Green Gables
Anne of Avonlea."

I grew up unaware of Anne of Green Gables until the 1985 miniseries. After hearing more and more about this children's classic I had missed, I finally decided to get educated and read the first one about 15 years ago. I enjoyed it and read the second.
Based on the years of pictures I had seen, I was expecting Anne to remain a young tween girl through the series and was surprised that she was a teacher by the end of the first book. Only 16, but much more of a young adult than I would have expected from all the Anne pictures I had seen.

message 30: by Tahera (new)

Tahera | 28 comments I have read the first four books in the Anne of Green Gable series :)

message 31: by Lesle, Appalachain Bibliophile (new)

Lesle | 5590 comments Mod
Anyone working on this list that Rosemarie has provided?

Another great series!

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 186 comments I have read all of the Anne books, and the first Emily book.

message 33: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

The first Emily book is also the best Emily book, Kelly.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 186 comments Rosemarie wrote: "The first Emily book is also the best Emily book, Kelly."

I liked it. But I didn't like it as well as the Anne books.

message 35: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

My favourite is still Jane of Lantern Hill, a stand alone book.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 186 comments Rosemarie wrote: "My favourite is still Jane of Lantern Hill, a stand alone book."

I will have to look for that one.

message 37: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 70 comments Kelly wrote: “Rosemarie wrote: “My favourite is still Jane of Lantern Hill, a stand alone book.”

I will have to look for that one.”

I found it on Kindle. It was either free or a dollar.

message 38: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I read all of them.

message 39: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Way to go, Jazzy! Do you have any particular favourites?

message 40: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) Anne of Green Gables of course - all of them :)
Aw, I loved the relationship between her and Gilbert x

message 41: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Anne is definitely the most famous character. A theater in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, has productions of the Anne of Green Gables musical every summer, alternating with a different play for those who prefer something else. The year we went to P.E.I. it was the Johnny Cash musical. My husband and I saw it there, since I didn't think he would be a fan of Anne.

message 42: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Anne is definitely the most famous character. A theater in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, has productions of the Anne of Green Gables musical every summer, alternating with a different play f..."

They also have a musical about how Anne ends up marrying Gilbert, based on mostly Anne of Avonlea and Anne of the Island. I have seen both and I definitely have found the books much more relatable.

message 43: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

Thanks for the info, Manybooks.
One of the souvenirs that little girls were wearing as a souvenir from P.E.I. was a straw hat complete with Anne pigtails. To me, they looked more like Pippi Longstocking's.

message 44: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Rosemarie wrote: "Thanks for the info, Manybooks.
One of the souvenirs that little girls were wearing as a souvenir from P.E.I. was a straw hat complete with Anne pigtails. To me, they looked more like Pippi Longsto..."

Which is interesting as supposedly Lindgren's Pippi Longstocking was also partially based on Anne of Green Gables as the novel in Swedish translation was one of Astrid Lindgren's favourites.

message 45: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

I have always preferred Anne to Pippi.

message 46: by Manybooks (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments Rosemarie wrote: "I have always preferred Anne to Pippi."

Me too, Pippi is too over the top and exaggerated and too much like a super hero.

message 47: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) I like Pippi cos she had a horse.

message 48: by Rosemarie, Northern Roaming Scholar (new)

😆

message 49: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 09, 2019 04:39AM) (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments I will say that Pippi Longstocking is actually not one of my favourite Astrid Lindgren characters and she certainly in no way comes even remotely close to Anne of Green Gables, Emily of New Moon, the Story Girl and Jane of Lantern Hill for me. Astrid Lindgren's Madicken might perhaps, but certainly not Pippi, who I can appreciate but have never actually totally loved.

message 50: by Manybooks (last edited Jun 09, 2019 04:41AM) (new)

Manybooks | 501 comments With recently rereading the Pat of Silver Bush series and for the first time reading Kilmeny of the Orchard, Magic for Marigold, The Blue Castle and A Tangled Web, I have now read and reviewed ALL of L.M. Montgomery's main novels (and I have also read her one published book of poetry, her short story collections in their entirety, or rather as much of them as have been republished and/or rediscovered to date), I am actually feeling a bit of a sense of loss, as there are really no more new L.M. Montgomery works to explore for me except for her small autobiography The Alpine Path and her non fiction work Courageous Women (which I have started but which has a tone of authorial voice that I find a bit trivialisng).

« previous 1