Play Book Tag discussion

March 2018: Autobiography > Sounds Like Me My Life (so far) in Song by Sara Bareilles 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 203 comments Singer-songwriter Sara Bareilles is best known for such chart topping hits as Gravity, Love Song and Brave and in her autobiography Sounds Like Me: My Life (So Far) in Song we learn the stories that led to the creation of these and five other songs in her repertoire.

Sitting down with this book was reminiscent of having a long conversation with a close friend over a cup of coffee. Sara approaches with great candor her experience in the music industry and shares her frustrations over being expected to follow a creative process such as co-writing that worked well for other artists but not for her which led to difficulty in landing those big record deals and gaining support for her truly artistic approach to creating an album. I’ve always been fascinated by what process musicians use to write their songs and learned a great deal from this book.

Beyond just chronicling her journey in the music industry Sara opens her life to the reader and addresses struggles she has faced in her life including self-acceptance, taking risks and learning how to use her bold voice to write songs that speak to those on the fringes who feel as unheard and unseen as Sara herself has felt at different times in her life. While reading her book you can’t help but have the feeling of this is someone who has been where I have been on my journey of navigating through the ups and downs of life and if she can do it so can I.

Reading this book gave me an even deeper appreciation for an artist I already love and upon its conclusion I immediately delved back in to all her albums! I’ll close with one of my favorite quotes from the book which I feel sums up its message perfectly “There is power in the act of articulating your inner world. Giving your emotions a name changes them. This is not a shortcut to healing, but it is a step in the right direction.”

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Nice review, I didn't know Sara Barellis ha d a memoir!

Does she talk about Waitress at all in this?

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8284 comments LOVED Waitress when I saw it in New York. They even serve you little pies in the theatre. Have always loved her voice.

message 4: by Hayjay315 (new)

Hayjay315 | 203 comments Joi wrote: "Nice review, I didn't know Sara Barellis ha d a memoir!

Does she talk about Waitress at all in this?"

Thanks Joi! Yes, the last chapter of her book focuses on her experience writing and casting for the musical.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6921 comments Another book for my tbr! Darn TBR's tantalizing reviews ;) !

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Karin wrote: "Another book for my tbr! Darn TBR's tantalizing reviews ;) !"

Me too, I am in the middle of Willie Nelson's autobiography. I just love biographies of anyone but especially musicians that are against the grain, and my favorite part is learning the origins of the songs.