What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Heart Goes Last
This topic is about The Heart Goes Last
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Dystopian special gated community husband and wife. [s]

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nathalie Thibedeau | 3 comments Hi all possible spoilers ahead but I will try to leave them out. I’m looking for the title and author of a book I read last year. I don’t think it was an old book (probably written within the last decade). It’s about a down on their luck couple living in their car who hear about or are offered the opportunity to move into a special gated community where fifty percent of the time the people live and work in a prison and the other fifty percent of the time they live on the outside. They have beautiful homes when they are on the outside and share their home with another couple who lives in it while they are in te prison and then they swap back. Something goes down with the husband somehow becoming into the alternate wife even though he never sees her. And there’s something later on about the community manufacturing artificial intelligent robots/people sex bots I don’t want to reveal too much but I think there’s also something about the wife hanging in some abandoned houses with some alternate husband and cameras that record everything and they have scooter that get them around and track their location. Hopefully that’s enough for some to give me the title if you’ve read it you’ll probably know from that and I don’t want to give away spoilers

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 40686 comments Mod
You can give spoilers as long as they're not in your header.

message 3: by Bargle (new) - added it

Bargle | 1387 comments Arrrghh! I know I've read this in the last couple of years, but I can't bring the title up.

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 226 comments I believe it's Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/...

Nathalie Thibedeau | 3 comments Joseph wrote: "I believe it's Margaret Atwood's The Heart Goes Last
https://www.newstatesman.com/culture/..."

YES!!! THANK YOU!!!!

message 6: by Bargle (last edited Mar 13, 2018 08:54AM) (new) - added it

Bargle | 1387 comments That's what I was thinking of. Thanks, Joseph.

Clicky The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood

message 7: by Joseph (new)

Joseph Marquis | 226 comments Go Team! Enjoy the read.

message 8: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments OK, I've been pondering this for a couple of hours. Can someone who's read this please tell me: why? The plot seems so contrived. I mean, what's the point? I understand having to enslave women to rectify infertility and declining birth rates, or euthanizing everyone at age 21 to address overpopulation, or using normally untapped protein sources to feed a starving population, but what possible purpose requires someone to alternatively live as a prisoner and rich person? At first glance, I thought they were working at the prison, not acting as prisoners. I mean, is Atwood seriously suggesting that crime would be so low that they'd have to entice people to live in the prisons?

Nathalie Thibedeau | 3 comments Sam wrote: "OK, I've been pondering this for a couple of hours. Can someone who's read this please tell me: why? The plot seems so contrived. I mean, what's the point? I understand having to enslave women to r..."

Read the book. It's worth it. Can't really answer your question without revealing some interesting Atwoodian twists and parts of the plot that address or shine a mirror on societies flaws/possible future flaws. It's a good Dystopian future read not as far off from our own as some of her other work.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Heart Goes Last (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Margaret Atwood (other topics)