Play Book Tag discussion

The Bridge Ladies
This topic is about The Bridge Ladies
Archive: Other Books > The Bridge Ladies by Betsy Lerner - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (last edited Mar 12, 2018 07:56PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ellen | 2052 comments Author Betsy Lerner returned to her mother's home in New Haven to care for her after her mother had surgery. Betsy was pleased to see that her mother's bridge club, a club that had been in existence for 50 years, came to visit bearing food and gifts. Thinking of today's generation, Betsy knew all she would have received had she herself been post-surgery would have been texts with emojis and 'hope u feel better". This put Betsy in mind to try to find out more about her mother and her bridge buddies; easier said than done. Octogenarian mom Roz's generation did not share their feelings, fears or emotions. They were taught to be perfect ladies who were put on earth to get married and raise a family. Breaking through the walls of these tough old women would prove to be a challenge for Betsy and the toughest of all would be her own mother.

Betsy began by attending the bridge ladies Monday afternoon bridge game which rotated among the players homes. She loved the way the ladies dressed so elegantly and with manicured nails, fresh hairdos and lots of jewelry. Knowing nothing about the game of bridge Betsy enrolled in beginner bridge classes to help her understand the game and the players. Eventually she learned to love the card game and more importantly she fell in love with the bridge ladies.

This is just such a lovely book about a generation of women who might be considered quite Victorian by today's standards. A 50-year friendship should include hugs, kisses on the cheek or at least heartfelt confessions and commiserations. Not these women; they are reserved, always lady-like and the complete opposite of effusive. Their love for one another is obvious in their loyalty and dedication to their bridge game. At times this book was just downright funny and at others so heartbreaking. Loved it!

message 2: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 8168 comments This is on my TBR too. Glad to hear you loved it.

message 3: by Cynda (new)

Cynda Good social commentary Ellen.

Ellen | 2052 comments I originally rated it a '4', but when I was reviewing it I realized that I really liked it much more than that. I hope you do too, Amy.
Definitely good social commentary, Cynda!

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5538 comments Shouldn't this be in the monthly TAG thread for AUTOBIOGRAPHY?

Ellen | 2052 comments It is a memoir so staying true to the tag I put it here.

message 7: by Jason (new) - added it

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments I want to read this. Thanks for the review.