Guardian Newspaper 1000 Novels discussion

Persuasion
This topic is about Persuasion
Monthly Book Reads > Persuasion - March 2018

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaycie | 455 comments Mod
Here is the thread for March 2018's Love read - Persuasion.

Who is reading?

Christopher (Donut) | 237 comments There is a Persuasion discussion going on right now at "The Readers' Review":

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/group...

Leslie | 825 comments I have read this several times but it is one of my favorite Austin books so I could be persuaded to reread it once more! Maybe I will see if I can get a good audiobook edition from the library...

message 4: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Fischman (dfischman) | 138 comments Don't let this substitute for reading the book, because Austen's prose is incomparable, but this film version was wonderful, too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persuas...

There's also a more recent version I haven't seen, starring Sally Hawkins, who was so good in The Shape of Water. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0844330/

Darren (dazburns) | 669 comments Mod
I will be starting Persuasion soon
I loved Pride and Prejudice, but was less enamoured of Emma, so this will be the tie-breaker to decide whether I like Austen or not... ;o)

Leslie | 825 comments I also don't like Emma as much as P & P or S & S. I found an audiobook edition of Persuasion narrated by Wanda McCaddon so I will be rereading this after all. I probably won't get to it before the weekend though.

I started this last night and am already at 35%
the story so far is conventional/predictable, but it is beautifully written (less painstaking than Emma) and as it's only relatively short I'm enjoying it atm... ;o)

message 8: by Darren (last edited Mar 19, 2018 03:57AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I am at 56% now and struggling :o(
it is all very mundane and is just not holding my attention - I'm finding myself having to go back and re-read passages because I realise I have glazed over and nothing has been registering on my brain!

Leslie | 825 comments Darren wrote: "I am at 56% now and struggling :o(
it is all very mundane and is just not holding my attention - I'm finding myself having to go back and re-read passages because I realise I have glazed over and n..."

Too bad! I find a lot of humor in this but everyone is different.

I finished my reread yesterday. I noticed that Austen often has a heroine whose taste/sensibility/behavior is different than most of her family. I was going to say more refined but that isn't exactly what I mean. Elizabeth in P & P, Eleanor in S & S, and Anne in this one -- I wonder if Austen felt this way about her own family.

I am detecting some comedy-of-manners humour in there
but it seems to be buried in the "logistics" of the plot (such as it is) being a series of devices in order to get Woman A into proximity to Man B to see whether they fancy each other or not...

finally (80% way through) things liven up a bit!
will finish this tonight...