75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2018 GR Completed) > Joanne’s good read challenge 2018 ☕️

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Joanne (last edited Jun 10, 2018 06:41PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Well it’s march and I have managed to read some good books thus far for 2018.

Mystery reads

Maisie Dobbs. Book 1. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Birds of a Feather Book 2 ⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra book 1⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

The Dry. 5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Musseled Out. ⭐️⭐️
Death in the Stocks⭐️⭐️⭐️
Behold, Here's Poison⭐️⭐️⭐️
A Deadly Dealer ⭐️⭐️⭐️
A Fatal Appraisal ⭐️⭐️⭐️
A Treacherous Trader ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Secrets of Wishtide ⭐️⭐️⭐️
T is for Trespass ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Death at Wentworth Court ⭐️⭐️
Racing the Devil ⭐️⭐️
The Hound of the Baskervilles Stephen Fry audiobook ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

History reads

Gallipoli. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Miss Lily's Lovely Ladies ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Foxing the Geese: A Regency Romance ⭐️⭐️
Jeremy Poldark. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sharpe's Tiger ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Western genre

The Gunslinger ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Young Adult
Ready Player One ⭐️⭐️

Fiction

There, Where The Pepper Grows ⭐️⭐️

Some of these are audio, books or paperbacks

😁😁😁😁😁😁

message 2: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7527 comments Mod
Joanne wrote: "Well it’s march and I have managed to read some good books thus far for 2018.

Mystery reads

[book:The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspector Chopra|247174..."

A few members have also just finished the first Baby Ganesh book! Sounds like something I need to get my hands on soon!

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Well it’s march and I have managed to read some good books thus far for 2018.

Mystery reads

[book:The Unexpected Inheritance of Inspecto..."

Yeah I recommend it. It’s completely different but a good mystery.

message 4: by Joanne (last edited Apr 16, 2018 07:21PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments April 13th

Mystery reads

The Dry. 5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Musseled Out. ⭐️⭐️
A Deadly Dealer ⭐️⭐️⭐️
A Fatal Appraisal ⭐️⭐️⭐️
U is for Undertow ⭐️
Racing the Devil ⭐️⭐️
Dissolution ⭐️⭐️

History reads

Gallipoli. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Jeremy Poldark. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sharpe's Tiger ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Western genre

The Gunslinger ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Young Adult
Ready Player One ⭐️⭐️

Fiction

Fantasy

The Shadow of What Was Lost. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I really enjoyed this book, my only complaint was a little too long.

Some of these are audio, books or paperbacks

😁😁😁😁😁😁

message 5: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4073 comments Mod
Wow, you are doing great!! I love your little stars! I didn't know you could do that :)

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Andrea wrote: "Wow, you are doing great!! I love your little stars! I didn't know you could do that :)"

I wonder too cause saw someone else had done I think it was dawn Michelle, suddenly realise the keyboard and the emoji lol 😂 Always something new to learn with technology.

message 7: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 ⭐️ Brilliant best I have read this year and maybe a few other years. It’s just wonderful can’t wait to see the film.

message 8: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 ⭐️ Brilliant best I have read this year and maybe a few other years. It’s just wonderful can’t wait to see the film."

Loved it! I listened to the audio and then I bought the paperback at a book sale last year. Plan on rereading! I've lost all hope in being excited for book-to-movies since RPO. :(

message 9: by Joanne (last edited Apr 13, 2018 04:20PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 ⭐️ Brilliant best I have read this year and maybe a few other years. It’s just wonderful can’t wait to s..."

Excellent I am going to buy it as well. It’s certainly a keeper for my shelves. Yeah I’m going to go see it next week fingers crossed
They haven’t stuffed it up! 🤞🤞🤞

message 10: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1749 comments Joanne wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 ⭐️ Brilliant best I have read this year and maybe a few other years. It’s just wonderful can’t wait to see the film."

I love, love, loved that book... which came as a surprise since it's not really my usual genre. I couldn't put it down.

message 11: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Stacie wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 ⭐️ Brilliant best I have read this year and maybe a few other years. It’s just wonderful can’t wait to s..."

Awesome 👏👏👍👍 will you see the movie?

message 12: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Dissolution ⭐️⭐️ It was ok I enjoyed the historical side of it more than the mystery side of it. Ellis Peters did this kind of genre really well. Mystery /history. Not sure about Sanson.

message 13: by Joanne (last edited May 17, 2018 02:25PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments April 17th

True stories

Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir of Appalachia ⭐️ DNF I got so bored with it. Can’t believe people get this stuff printed and make money from it.

Mystery reads

The Dry. 5⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Musseled Out. ⭐️⭐️
A Deadly Dealer ⭐️⭐️⭐️
A Fatal Appraisal ⭐️⭐️⭐️
U is for Undertow ⭐️
Racing the Devil ⭐️⭐️
Dissolution ⭐️⭐️

History reads

Gallipoli. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Jeremy Poldark. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sharpe's Tiger ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Ramses: The Temple of a Million Years ⭐️⭐️

Western genre

The Gunslinger ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Young Adult
Ready Player One ⭐️⭐️

Fiction

Fantasy

The Shadow of What Was Lost. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ I really enjoyed this book, my only complaint was a little too long.

Total so far

message 14: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2668 comments Joanne wrote: "April 17th

True stories

Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir of Appalachia ⭐️ DNF I got so bored with it. Can’t believe people get this stuff printed and make money from it.

Myst..."

Wow... you've been busy!

message 15: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Carol wrote: "Joanne wrote: "April 17th

True stories

Flat Broke with Two Goats: A Memoir of Appalachia ⭐️ DNF I got so bored with it. Can’t believe people get this stuff printed and make money ..."

Thanks I’m surprised by what I have got read. Didn’t think I had done so much in such a short period. 👍🎖I could peak too early lol though I hope not.

message 16: by Joanne (last edited Apr 21, 2018 10:41PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Agatha Raisin: Dishing the Dirt ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Curzon Case ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
V is for Vengeance: A Kinsey Millhone Novel ⭐️

The Last Kingdom ⭐️⭐️

Total 33

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments The Sign of Four ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
The Return of Sherlock Holmes ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Girl with a Pearl Earring ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Lincoln in the Bardo ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Total. 37

message 18: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2664 comments Joanne wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 ⭐️ Brilliant best I have read this year and maybe a few other years. It’s just wonderful can’t wait to see the film."

I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!

message 19: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2664 comments Joanne wrote: "The Sign of Four ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Lincoln in the Bardo ⭐️⭐️⭐️

Total. 37"

I enjoyed Girl with a Pearl Earring and I adored the movie. I mean, COLIN FIRTH!!!!

I didn't realize that you had finished Lincoln in the Bardo - did you review it?

message 20: by Joanne (last edited May 03, 2018 02:51PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Sign of Four ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Lincoln in the Bardo ⭐..."

I reviewed it just on goodreads. It was hard to kind of put it all together. It’s a very deep book. I think I will have to Reagain at some point I’m sure there was lots I missed.

Ok had to find my review I haven’t done that before link below. It was a hard book to sum up. I really enjoyed it.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Yes what’s not to enjoy with Colin Firth!! 👍👍 I haven’t seen the movie so I look forward to it.

message 21: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 ⭐️ Brilliant best I have read this year and maybe a few other years. It’s just wonderful can’t wait to s..."

Me too!! I brought a actual hard copy as it’s a stayer on my shelves I went and saw the movie. I think they did a good job with it.

message 22: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2664 comments Joanne wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 ⭐️ Brilliant best I have read this year and maybe a few other years. It’s just won..."

There was a movie?
Sigh.
CLEARLY I need to step away from the audiobooks and I don't know, maybe have a L I F E!!! LOL

message 23: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Dawn Michelle wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 5 ⭐️ Brilliant best I have read this year and maybe a few other years..."

Yes a movie just released here. I am same by the time I decide to see a movie, it’s usually finished.

message 24: by Joanne (last edited May 17, 2018 02:34PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Kidnapped. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Robert Louis Stevenson.

Blood on the Line. Edward Marston. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

38 total

message 25: by Joanne (last edited May 17, 2018 02:33PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments The Witches' Tree by M.C. Beaton. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

A Study in Scarlet. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 26: by Joanne (last edited May 19, 2018 03:23PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Redshirts by John Scalzi ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very enjoyable read good story, good suspense and some humour to boot.

Everything, Everything ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ By Nicola Yoon. Brilliant , did not see the ending coming at all very well done

44 total

message 27: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "Redshirts by John Scalzi ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very enjoyable read good story, good suspense and some humour to boot.

Everything, Everything ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ By [author:N..."

Glad you liked Redshirts!!

message 28: by Joanne (last edited May 19, 2018 03:51PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Redshirts by John Scalzi ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very enjoyable read good story, good suspense and some humour to boot.

Everything, Everything ⭐️⭐️⭐️..."

I did!! Glad I found out about it. That’s the great thing about book groups finding authors who you would more than likely not even consider. 👍👍

message 29: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "I did!! Glad I found out about it. That’s the great thing about book groups finding authors who you would more than likely not even consider. 👍👍..."

Absolutely! My TBR grows a little every day because of my book groups. lol a blessing and a curse! Where will I find the time to read them all?!

message 30: by Joanne (last edited May 19, 2018 08:41PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Elyse wrote: "Joanne wrote: "I did!! Glad I found out about it. That’s the great thing about book groups finding authors who you would more than likely not even consider. 👍👍..."

Absolutely! My TBR grows a littl..."

I know yet I still keep gathering books. It’s fun and for myself therapeutic. I love the words from the guernsey literary book.

“Because there is nothing I would rather do than rummage through bookshops... I have gone to them for years, always finding the one book i wanted —then three more I hadn’t known I wanted. “

Later she wrote “ that’s what I love about reading one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you on to another book, and another there will lead you on to a third book. It’s geometrically progressive —- all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.”

message 31: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Joanne wrote: "“Because there is nothing I would rather do than rummage through bookshops... I have gone to them for years, always finding the one book i wanted —then three more I hadn’t known I wanted. “

Later she wrote “ that’s what I love about reading one tiny thing will interest you in a book, and that tiny thing will lead you on to another book, and another there will lead you on to a third book. It’s geometrically progressive —- all with no end in sight, and for no other reason than sheer enjoyment.”..."

<3 <3 Yes!

message 32: by Joanne (last edited May 20, 2018 04:01PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Howards End ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

45 total

message 33: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments The Silver Pigs Lindsey Davis ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Marco Didius Falco series #1 setting Ancient Rome 70AD

message 34: by Joanne (last edited May 22, 2018 02:15PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Searching for Schindler: A Memoir. Just amazing ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Don’t believe in coincidence, Thomas Keneally was led by God into the bag shop that was owned by holocaust survivor Joseph Poldek. The rest is history. Remarkable story.

Total 47

message 35: by Joanne (last edited May 23, 2018 07:51PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments The Lost Flowers of Alice Hart by Holly Ringland

Well once I manage to stop blubbering I put together a review.

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This was a brilliant read. A beautifully constructed haunting tale of a young girl named Alice, who after a family tragedy goes to live with her grandmother. Alice learns the language of flowers and in the process finds healing and reconciliation. Using the vivid imagines of the Australian outback and it’s glorious flowers that sweep this country, Holly Rongland tells an provoking story of love, family and courage to go on living.

message 36: by Joanne (new)

message 37: by Joanne (last edited May 28, 2018 03:36PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments The Painted Queen audiobook⭐️⭐️

message 38: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Mrs. Pollifax Unveiled ⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 39: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2668 comments Way to go, Joanne! Another one bites the dust! Have you read the previous Pollifax books? I loved the first one. It was also a movie in 1970 starring a senior Rosiland Russel.

message 40: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Carol wrote: "Way to go, Joanne! Another one bites the dust! Have you read the previous Pollifax books? I loved the first one. It was also a movie in 1970 starring a senior Rosiland Russel."

Yes I did read the first, I didn’t know there was a movie. I will see if I can find it. 👍👍😁😁

message 41: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Just came across the very first Mrs polifax with Angela Lansbury.

https://youtu.be/w4EPG9eNsfM

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments The Summer Before the War ⭐️⭐️⭐️ 😢😢

52 total

message 43: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2668 comments Joanne wrote: "Just came across the very first Mrs polifax with Angela Lansbury.

https://youtu.be/w4EPG9eNsfM"

OK, I have it qued up now, but you have to promise me you will try to find the Rosiland Russell version...

message 44: by Joanne (last edited May 29, 2018 10:14PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Carol wrote: "Joanne wrote: "Just came across the very first Mrs polifax with Angela Lansbury.

https://youtu.be/w4EPG9eNsfM"

OK, I have it qued up now, but you have to promise me you will try to find the Rosi..."

For sure I will keep looking I have actually stumble across numerous audiobook recordings of her other books. 👍👍👍

message 46: by Joanne (last edited May 31, 2018 07:23PM) (new)

Joanne | 4 comments The Shape of Water Andrea Camilleri. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Aside from bad language and sexual language it’s actaully a very good read. Certainly planning on reading the second book in the series. 👍👍

message 47: by Carol (new)

Carol (carol07) | 2668 comments Joanne wrote: "The Crown: The Official Companion, Volume 1: Elizabeth II, Winston Churchill, and the Making of a Young Queen. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

53"

Have you been watching the Crown! We love it. Have you watched Victoria? It is, I believe, based on the book Victoria by Daisy Goodwin. THAT was also very good.

message 48: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments Carol wrote: "Joanne wrote: "The Crown: The Official Companion, Volume 1: Elizabeth II, Winston Churchill, and the Making of a Young Queen. ⭐️⭐️⭐️

53"

Have you been watching the Crown! We love ..."

No I haven’t it’s on Netflix I don’t get that. I have the DVD of Victoria

message 49: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments I really enjoyed this story. I much preferred listening to than actually reading it. They had two narrators one female and one male for the two sleuths. So it swap back and forth but was easy to follow.The Body Snatchers Affair: A Carpenter and Quincannon Mystery. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

message 50: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 4 comments The Lily and the Rose. ⭐️⭐️⭐️ It was enjoyable but not as good as the first

Good reads review
Australian heiress Sophie Higgs was 'a rose of no-man's land', founding hospitals across war-torn Europe during the horror that was WW1.

Now, in the 1920s, Sophie's wartime work must be erased so that the men who returned can find some kind of 'normality'.

Sophie is, however, a graduate of the mysterious Miss Lily's school of charm and intrigue, and once more she risks her own life as she attempts to save others still trapped in the turmoil and aftermath of war.

But in this new world, nothing is clear, in politics or in love. For the role of men has changed too. Torn between the love of three very different men, Sophie will face her greatest danger yet as she attempts an impossible journey across the world to save Nigel, Earl of Shillings - and her beloved Miss Lily.

In this sequel to the bestselling Miss Lily's Lovely Ladies, Jackie French draws us further into a compelling story that celebrates the passion and adventure of an unstoppable army of women who changed the world.

« previous 1