Belly Dance Readers discussion

What is your favorite book on the subject of Belly Dance?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn (new)

Dawn Devine (davina-devine) | 4 comments Mod
One of the questions I'm always curious about is what someone's favorite book on the subject of belly dance. Though my favorite book has changed over time, the first belly dance book I owned is still near and dear to my heart.

I originally owned a paperback version that I replaced with a hardback copy. Serena, a New York-based belly dance performer, and instructor filled her book with useful information for new dancers. Although I believe you can't learn movement from a book, Serena taught me about posture and stance, about the feel of your body and the mindset needed to perform. I also made my first costume using her simple guidelines and even attempted one of her choreographies!

The Serena Technique Of Belly Dancing; The Fun Way To A Trim Shape

message 2: by AJ (new)

AJ (erthefae) | 1 comments I won a copy of that book in a trivia contest at a dance event :)

My favorite non-fiction belly dance book is Becoming a Belly Dancer (you might know the authors, hahahahaha). Favorite fiction is the belly dance mysteries series by Rebecca Wolf-Nail.

message 3: by Dawn (new)

AJ wrote: "I won a copy of that book in a trivia contest at a dance event :)

---> I bought my first copy of Serena's book when I was 13 used at Goodwill.

---> I found Rebecca's books so inspiring that I'm working on my first piece of fiction. I hope that she is working on more!

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tigerb) | 1 comments I love Anne Soffee's memoir "Snake Hips". It's so wry and funny! https://www.amazon.com/Snake-Hips-Bel...

I bought it back around 2006 but still get it out once in a while for a reread.

message 5: by Dawn (new)

Tracy wrote: "I love Anne Soffee's memoir "Snake Hips". It's so wry and funny! https://www.amazon.com/Snake-Hips-Bel...

I bought it back around 2006 but still get it out once in a whi..."

---> I read that book back when it came out - and was so pleased to "meet up" with my friend Lucy of Scherezade Imports in the pages of the book. I totally agree that it's a fun read!