Play Book Tag discussion

On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft
This topic is about On Writing
March 2018: Autobiography > On Writing- Stephen King, 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Mindy aka serenity | 115 comments This is a very nice, short read, which is both an autobiography of Stephen King's life but also on his approach to writing. It in he outlines the tools he recommends for building a career as a writer, using his many layered toolbox (an illustration he takes from his grandpa's toolbox, which he would bring over to help fix things for Stephen's mom growing up). In it you have your grammar but also your plot devices and your passion for writing. I read the audiobook which was narrated by the author and you can really feel the passion he has for the craft of writing- it lights him up. I feel that is a necessary first step to doing anything- the passion for the thing is what drives potential excellence, and the toolbox you put together ensures that the necessary details are in place for you. A good read, and a nice concise description of what makes a writer tick.

Elise (ellinou) | 524 comments Yes! I loved this book! I still remember his pyramid of writers, where you can do nothing with bad writers, with work an okay writer can become a good writer, but no amount of work will turn anybody into great writers.

And also, the road to hell is paved with adverbs.

And "if you don't have the time to read, you don't have the tools to write."

Mindy aka serenity | 115 comments I totally laughed out loud when he got to his tirade on adverbs. It was classic.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5633 comments I think reading this book made me a better reader! Stephen King is one of my all-time favorite authors.

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Love, love, love this book . . .thrilled you did too. I actually think it is a book for all writers. And all readers.

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1053 comments A 5 star read for me as well

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Ellie wrote: "Yes! I loved this book! I still remember his pyramid of writers, where you can do nothing with bad writers, with work an okay writer can become a good writer, but no amount of work will turn anybod..."

Mark Twain has an essay with a similar tirade against adverbs. This is one of my favorite parts of the book. Since, I cringe when authors use adverbs. It really does become laughable.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments In high school, I helped start a class called Writers Workshop for Creative Writing and he opened the class with this book and the chapter on the toolbox. Though I am an okay writer hoping to become a good writer, this book has been invaluable.