What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Ray Bradbury
This topic is about Ray Bradbury
UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short story about death asking man for victims

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (new)

Mike | 4 comments Hey, folks.

My girlfriend told me there's a Ray Bradbury story from her childhood that she vividly remembers but hasn't been able to find as an adult.

These are the details she told me about: The story is about a man in bed. One night, a dog ("or something dog-like") comes to him and asks him for the name of someone it can take. So the dude starts giving names of neighbors and acquaintances, eventually he runs out of those and starts naming members of his family. He even runs out of those and then... she wasn't sure how the story ended.

She's been searching for this story for a while, to no avail. She's pretty sure this was a Ray Bradbury story, though I wouldn't be surprised if it was written by someone else and she's mis-remembering. I thought I'd try to find it, since her birthday is coming up and I thought this would be a cool little present to get her.

message 2: by Justanotherbiblophile (last edited Mar 17, 2018 10:20AM) (new)

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments How about something similar?

https://mrdylitcirclestories.files.wo...

Edit (since OP says this is a possibility): We Can Get Them For You Wholesale

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike | 4 comments You know, that one came to mind and it might be from the correct timeframe... Maybe!

Justanotherbiblophile | 1740 comments Sounds to me like you might want to leave this request in the unsolveds, and see what else turns up. If not, give her that. But, if that is not the case:

If you think there's a good chance that this is your book, you can put this request in the "Possibly Solved" folder, by clicking the 'edit' link next to the subject line / title.

If this turns out to be the book you're looking for, come back and tell us that we were successful in our guesses. We keep the old requests (please don't delete it), so new people who're using a search function can easily find the same book, based on your keywords/description. We move these finished requests to one of the "Solved" folders, the same way as above. (In addition, I like to edit my requests to show the title and author at the top of the original post, so it shows up in google results easily).

If it turns out that this wasn't your book, or you want more suggestions - you can put this query back into the "Unsolved" folder at any time, and bump it (although we ask you to not bump it more than once a month) to put it back to the head of the queue, so it doesn't get buried in the older requests.

message 5: by Mike (new)

Mike | 4 comments Thanks, I will. I'll send her the story and see what she says.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
Mike, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 7: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Aug 09, 2020 07:41AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1681 comments I'm pretty sure it's nothing by Ray Bradbury unless the poster (or rather, the poster's friend) is conflating a few stories (such as The Emissary & The Scythe. They both would have been in The October Country or Dark Carnival).

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike | 4 comments I never was able to figure it out, Lobster.

message 9: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33490 comments Mod
Mike, around what year did she read this short story? A range of years is fine.

Was it in a collection of short stories? If yes, what was the common theme? multiple authors?