Classics Without All the Class discussion

The God of Small Things
This topic is about The God of Small Things
July 2014 - God of Small Things > Notable Sentences (Potential Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shanea (last edited Jul 23, 2014 09:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shanea | 358 comments Quite frequently in my literary excursions come across a particularly memorable sentence or paragraph. Unfortunately for me, in this book it started right at the beginning, reminding me of my current existential crisis.

"Not old. Not young. But a viable die-able age."
A rather broad topic that I've had rumbling around my mind quite frequently neatly summed up into a compact, nine-word package.

Anyone else have a remarkably beautiful or personally resonating quote that the'd like to share from this month's read?

message 2: by Crystal (last edited Jul 24, 2014 07:50AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Crystal (infiniteink) | 87 comments One part of the book that I really love is towards the end, when Rahel was watching kathakali tell the "Great Stories," and it speaks about how no one is interested in his dances anymore because the world has moved on from those cultural traditions.

And then it says:

"In despair, he turns to tourism. He enters the market. He hawks the only he owns. The stories that his body can tell. He becomes a Regional Flavor."

That resonates with me because of how true it is, especially living in Asia and seeing so many important and sacred cultural things become shows void of meaning.

Cecily | 44 comments A key quote is surely, "Anything can happen to anyone. It's best to be prepared."

The other is perhaps:
"They all broke the rules. They all crossed into forbidden territory. They all tampered with the laws that lay down who should be loved and how. And how much." And by whom.

Another that stood out for me was:
"Sophie Mol became a Memory, while The Loss of Sophie Mol grew robust and alive. Like a fruit in season. Every season." Those left behind experience "Not death. Just the end of living."

(I've also included a lot of quotes at the end of my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)

Karakb | 5 comments “If you're happy in a dream, does that count?”

I sleep poorly - hence my love for books. This quote followed me around for some time.

Joyce I loved many of the descriptive paragraphs. One such example is near the end of the book -- "With every monsoon, the old car settled more firmly into the ground. Like an angular, arthritic hen settling stiffly on her clutch of eggs. With no intention of ever getting up. Grass grew around its flat tires. The PARADISE PICKLES & PRESERVES signboard rotted and fell inward like a collapsed crown." Shear poetry.

Kainzow | 28 comments Here is my favourite quote from the book:

''In those early amorphous years when memory had only just begun, when life was full of Beginnings and no Ends, and Everything was Forever…''

I like the use of capitalization here!

Shanea | 358 comments Kainzow wrote: "Here is my favourite quote from the book:

''In those early amorphous years when memory had only just begun, when life was full of Beginnings and no Ends, and Everything was Forever…''

I like the ..."

Sometimes the capitalization can make or break a sentence, I agree.

Nakul Chawla (thenakulchawla) "And the air was full of Thoughts and Things to Say. But at times like these, only the Small Things are ever said. Big Things lurk unsaid inside."

I feel that this happens at almost every place in the world. And every time I talk to someone where I want to say so much more than the cultural ethics allow, this quote reverberates in my heart and my mind.

Kainzow | 28 comments Nakul wrote: ""And the air was full of Thoughts and Things to Say. But at times like these, only the Small Things are ever said. Big Things lurk unsaid inside."

I feel that this happens at almost every place in..."

True! This quote is so poignant....