CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2018 > 2018 Man Booker International Prize

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mj (new)

Mj | 1194 comments For those interested in reading global books (all have been translated into English) check out the longlist for the 2018 Man Booker International Prize below.

This unique annual prize awards monies equally to the writer and the translator. This year, the 13 longlisted books have been translated from 10 different languages, across Europe, Asia, South America and the Middle East.

The shortlist will be announced on April 4, 2018, the winner on May 22, 2018.

If you enter the link and click on the book's cover, you can find out more about the book.

http://themanbookerprize.com/internat...

The 2018 longlist:

• Laurent Binet (France), Sam Taylor, The 7th Function of Language (Harvill Secker)

• Javier Cercas (Spain), Frank Wynne, The Impostor (MacLehose Press)

• Virginie Despentes (France), Frank Wynne, Vernon Subutex 1 (MacLehose Press)

• Jenny Erpenbeck (Germany), Susan Bernofsky, Go, Went, Gone (Portobello Books)

• Han Kang (South Korea), Deborah Smith, The White Book (Portobello Books)

• Ariana Harwicz (Argentina), Sarah Moses & Carolina Orloff, Die, My Love (Charco Press)

• László Krasznahorkai (Hungary), John Batki, Ottilie Mulzet & George Szirtes, The World Goes On (Tuskar Rock Press)

• Antonio Muñoz Molina (Spain), Camilo A. Ramirez, Like a Fading Shadow (Tuskar Rock Press)

• Christoph Ransmayr (Austria), Simon Pare, The Flying Mountain (Seagull Books)

• Ahmed Saadawi (Iraq), Jonathan Wright, Frankenstein in Baghdad (Oneworld)

• Olga Tokarczuk (Poland), Jennifer Croft, Flights (Fitzcarraldo Editions)

• Wu Ming-Yi (Taiwan), Darryl Sterk, The Stolen Bicycle (Text Publishing)

• Gabriela Ybarra (Spain), Natasha Wimmer, The Dinner Guest (Harvill Secker)

message 2: by Rainey (new)

Rainey | 830 comments Wow - I haven't heard of any of these titles.

message 3: by Story (new)

Story (storyheart) So exciting! Thanks for sharing this.

message 4: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4274 comments Mod
Thanks for sharing - these are all new to me also.

message 5: by Louise (last edited Mar 12, 2018 02:12PM) (new)

Louise | 1585 comments I love these kinds of awards that introduce you to new authors. 2018 is my year of International reading (although I haven't really started yet due to my Canada Reads reading, but I suppose Proust can count as International). I will probably only read the short list though. Right now on top of my TBR pile are books from NYRB's classic collection:

Little Reunions by Eileen Chang (translated from Chinese).

Alles umsonst (translated from German to *All for Nothing*) by Walter Kempowski

The Life and Opinions of Zacharias Lichter by Matei Călinescu (translated from Romanian)

message 6: by Natasha (new)

Natasha Penney | 787 comments Mj wrote: "For those interested in reading global books (all have been translated into English) check out the longlist for the 2018 Man Booker International Prize below.

This unique annual prize awards monie..."

Thanks for this list, MJ! I have already secured copies of The 7th Function of Language by Laurent Binet and Frankenstein in Baghdad by Ahmed Saadawi. I will freely admit I likely won't consciously set about to read the short list, but will pick books that interest me based on the descriptions regardless of their relative success in making it further in the awards process.