What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 4 young girls go underground

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jia (last edited Mar 12, 2018 10:23AM) (new)

Jia Halloran | 1 comments I've been thinking about a young adult/children's novel (Harry potter level reading) - but can't remember the name of the book. It included some illustrations that vaguely remind me of Quentin Blake illustrations... It involved 4-5 young girls as the main characters - who lived in the same neighborhood, and through a series of 'Alice in Wonderland'-like events they go to this underground world, by climbing down a staircase. - It's a moderately long tale, and kind of dark toned. I remember one scene vividly: where they are stuck in this muddy, dark, underground, place talking about getting worms, and how when the worms are split - two worms form. I think the title was a street name?

I know this is pretty vague, but these flashes from this book have been bothering me. I read it when I was in elementary school, so it has been over a decade since I read this book. I'm an artist and I keep pulling work from these mental images/thoughts, but I would like to know where my scattered mind is getting this source material. - Any suggestions/leads would be appreciated

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period the story takes place?

message 3: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (khek) | 270 comments Maybe The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls by Elise Primavera?

message 4: by El (new)

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (handmaiden) | 391 comments Not a close match, but Inside the Shadow City, by Kirsten Miller, has a sort of abandoned underground city.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39249 comments Mod
Jia, are you still looking for this or did you find it?