ManBookering discussion

The Flying Mountain
This topic is about The Flying Mountain
2018 International Longlist > The Flying Mountain by Christoph Ransmayr

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maxwell (last edited Mar 12, 2018 09:57AM) (new)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) | 375 comments Mod
This is a discussion thread for The Flying Mountain by Christoph Ransmayr.

Meike (meikereads) I haven't read this one, but I really enjoyed Ransmayr's Cox oder Der Lauf der Zeit, so I am looking forward to giving "The Flying Mountain" a try. Austria and Switzerland have so many strong authors! Early prediction: On next year's MBI list, we will see The Dead: A Novel as a Swiss contender (and Tyll for Germany).

message 3: by Robert (last edited Mar 13, 2018 02:23AM) (new)

Robert | 363 comments Meike wrote: "I haven't read this one, but I really enjoyed Ransmayr's Cox oder Der Lauf der Zeit, so I am looking forward to giving "The Flying Mountain" a try. Austria and Switzerland have so m..."

I read Ransmayr's The Last World in 2011 and the only reason I finished it was because I was in Charles de Gaulle airport for five hours and that was the only book I had with me but the Robert of 2011 is different than the 2018 variation so I'd like to read another Ransmayr

Meike (meikereads) Robert wrote: "I read Ransmayr's The Last World in 2011 and the only reason I finished it was because I was in Charles de Gaulle airport for five hours and that was the only book I had with me ..."

:-( Maybe the new Ransmayr is an updated version!

Britta Böhler | 314 comments Mod
I read this last year with my bookclub (in German), and I thought the idea of the blank verse was interesting but the story didn't convince me. Still, I'm curious to hear what you make of it.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) Thanks - great to hear from someone who has read it, even if you weren't convinced. This is the one in English that still isn't actually available for those of us trying to read the longlist before the shortlist date.

Meike (meikereads) I really LOVED Ransmayr's language, and the way he discusses the human urge to create, conquer and explore. Here's my review.