ManBookering discussion

Like a Fading Shadow
This topic is about Like a Fading Shadow
2018 International Longlist > Like a Fading Shadow by Antonio Muñoz Molina

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Maxwell (last edited Mar 12, 2018 09:57AM) (new)

Maxwell (welldonebooks) | 375 comments Mod
This is a discussion thread for Like a Fading Shadow: A Novel by Antonio Muñoz Molina.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) This will be my 5th Antonio Munoz Molina book after In the Night of Time, Sepharad, A Manuscript of Ashes and In Her Absence.

I loved Sepharad, but have suffered slightly diminishing returns with the rest, Manuscript of Ashes particularly, so have been on something of a Muñoz Molina break. Will be interesting to get back to him.

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) My review of this one.

Certainly a stimulating read. Not entirely sure the different parts cohere - at times it can even feel a little like those obituaries where the writer seems over-keen to link in their own story (did I mention I went to Lisbon once).

I would still recommend Sepharad as the best of his books.

message 4: by Meike (last edited Mar 31, 2018 04:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Meike (meikereads) I finished this one yesterday - that was quite a ride! I feel like Muñoz Molina made a point by writing a book that is part memoir, part biography of James Earl Ray: He writes in a highly naturalist style with many details and facts, the fictional element comes in mainly through his montage and framing. The connections he draws between his protagonists are only there because he wills them into existence, not because there would be any natural connection. Considering the many passages he employs to meditate about the nature of literature, the whole set-up is quite experimental and clever.

Still, I have to admit that I did not love it: It was more of a purely intellectual pleasure. Here's my review

Neil | 511 comments I've just finished this and reached a very similar conclusion to Meike's.

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...