500 Great Books By Women discussion

A New Home, Who'll Follow?
This topic is about A New Home, Who'll Follow?
Pioneers and Seekers > A New Home—Who'll Follow?, or Glimpses of Western Life - Caroline Kirkland

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments A New Home—Who'll Follow?, or Glimpses of Western Life, Caroline Kirkland, 1839, United States, NOVEL

"...Using her own experience of moving to an unsettled village in Michigan in the 1830s, Caroline Kirkland not only describes the life and times of individuals immersed in the growth and establishment of a community, but also subtly imbues her text with a sophisticated cultural criticism. As a displaced Easterner and newly identified Westerner, writing under the name Mary Clavers, she describes mud holes, drunken husbands, local politics, and Victorian American values in her witty and often sharply ironic voice: "I should be disposed to recommend a course of Michigan to the Sybarites, the puny exquisites, the world-worn and sated Epicureans of our cities. If I mistake not, they would make surprising advances in philosophy in the course of a few months' training."..."

(L.T.-S., p. 239)

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Edgar Allan Poe thought Kirkland was a significant American author. No wonder GR doesn't have anything on her.

message 3: by Zanna (new)

Zanna (zannastar) | 180 comments Aubrey what is the gossip here? I am intrigued and ignorant

message 4: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments I'm just being facetious about the usual Boom and Bust treatment non white male authors receive by historical representation. The Poe bit I got from Wiki.