Play Book Tag discussion

The Other Boleyn Girl (The Plantagenet and Tudor Novels, #9)
This topic is about The Other Boleyn Girl
Archive: Other Books > LISTOPIA - The Other Boleyn Girl - Philippa Gregory - 4 1/2 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kelly | 802 comments This novel based on Mary Boleyn is excellent. It is historical fiction, so keep in mind it may not be exactly how events happened. The author tells the story from Mary's point of view and we see how her family manipulated her into a marriage, an affair with King Henry VIII and then stepping aside for her sister Anne. There is a rivalry between the sisters that is always felt. Both sisters are close to their brother George, but the rest of the family wants to use the girls to get ahead.

Mary sees the King of England's first wife, Queen Katherine, being pushed out and the means needed to do it. She is there as her sister becomes the new queen and then watches her fall from grace. Author Philippa Gregory captures the drama of the king's court and has told the story in an exciting way. There is a range of characters from good to ruthless and you can not help but want to see what happens next. I look forward to reading another book by Gregory.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8519 comments I have loved PhillIpa Gregory so much that I actually decided to start over and read all of her books in order. At least for the 15 Plantagenet Tudor Line. So glad you enjoyed this. Often this one is a person’s first introduction. Actually mine was the queen’s fool, which I think Directly follows this one. The first one is the lady of the rivers.

Kelly | 802 comments Amy wrote: "I have loved PhillIpa Gregory so much that I actually decided to start over and read all of her books in order. At least for the 15 Plantagenet Tudor Line. So glad you enjoyed this. Often this one ..."

I really enjoyed this book! Which one should I read next? How was the one on Queen Katherine?

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8519 comments They’re all great! But my suggestion is that you should go in order rather than skip around. I am in fact maybe you do start with the Catherine of Aragon one. I think it’s called a constant princess. Because that will take you through all of the six wives, and she is number 1. If you get hooked on this author then you can start way back. But that feels as good a place as any as it probably is the one just perceiving the one you just read. Best, Amy

Kelly | 802 comments Amy wrote: "They’re all great! But my suggestion is that you should go in order rather than skip around. I am in fact maybe you do start with the Catherine of Aragon one. I think it’s called a constant princes..."

Thanks! As soon as I get through a few more of my holds at the library, I will move on to another Gregory novel!

message 6: by Magdalena (new)

Magdalena | 414 comments Philippa Gregory is one of my favorite authors! And I think out of all the ones I've read so far The Constant Princess is my favorite but which ever one you chose to read next you won't be disappointed!

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8519 comments My favorites are also the constant Princess and the queens fool. But I’ve loved them all.

LibraryCin | 8324 comments I also really like Philippa Gregory. This one might be one of my favourites, along with The Queen's Fool.

I also really liked this movie. It was because of the movie I picked up the book, and because of the book, I continued with more by her.

Patty | 80 comments Kelly wrote: "Amy wrote: "I have loved PhillIpa Gregory so much that I actually decided to start over and read all of her books in order. At least for the 15 Plantagenet Tudor Line. So glad you enjoyed this. Oft..."

Kelly
I looked up the list that the author suggested in order to read. After The Other Boleyn Girl she suggested The Boleyn Inheritance.

Kelly | 802 comments Patty wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Amy wrote: "I have loved PhillIpa Gregory so much that I actually decided to start over and read all of her books in order. At least for the 15 Plantagenet Tudor Line. So glad you enj..."

Thanks!