500 Great Books By Women discussion

A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains
Pioneers and Seekers > A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains - Isabella Bird

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (last edited May 22, 2016 07:53PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains, Isabella Bird, 1879, United States (England), LETTERS

"...Traveling alone, usually on horseback, often with no clear idea of where she will spend the night in what is mostly uninhabited wilderness, she covers more than a thousand miles, mostly during the winter months. A well-educated woman who had known a comfortable life, she thinks of herding cattle at a hard gallop, falling through ice, getting lost in snowstorms, and living in a cabin where the temperatures are well below zero and her ink freezes even as she writes..."

(E.B., p. 236)

Review Cache
Aubrey
Sandy

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments I pass hastily over the early part of the journey, the crossing the bay in a fog as chill as November, the number of "lunch baskets," which gave the car the look of conveying a great picnic party, the last view of the Pacific, on which I had looked for nearly a year, the fierce sunshine and brilliant sky inland, the look of long rainlessness, which one may not call drought, the valleys with sides crimson with the poison oak, the dusty vineyards, with great purple clusters thick among the leaves, and between the vines great dusty melons lying on the dusty earth.

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments In traveling there is nothing like dissecting people's statements, which are usually colored by their estimate of the powers or likings of the person spoken to, making all reasonable inquiries, and then pertinaciously but quietly carrying out one's own plans.

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments I'm submitting my review for this: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Thank you for your review, Sandy. It has been inputted above.

Sorento62 | 3 comments I recently read Isabella Bird's book. Five stars from me too!