500 Great Books By Women discussion

The Hidden Hand
This topic is about The Hidden Hand
Pioneers and Seekers > The Hidden Hand - E.D.E.N Southworth

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments The Hidden Hand, E.D.E.N Southworth, 1859, United States, NOVEL

"E.D.E.N. Southworth was one of the most popular and prolific writers of the nineteenth century, and her Capitolia Black, or Black Cap—a cross-dressing, adventure-seeking girl-woman—was so well loved that the book was serialized three times between 1859 and 1888, and dramatized in forty different versions. When we first meet the sharp and witty Capitola she is living among beggars and street urchins, dressed as a boy because a boy can get work and be safe, whereas a girl is left to starve for want of "proper" employment..."

(E.B., p. 236)

message 2: by Jan (new)

Jan Aubrey, I just had a thought! I narrate books as a volunteer on www.Librivox.org. Books posted there by volunteers are free to download. I think some of these public domain women authors are overlooked. You are helping bring them to light, and I would like to help too by reading some--maybe this series?--for Librivox. Thanks for the great idea! You amaze me with all your daily posts. Wow! Jan

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan Ooops! Should have looked at the catalog on Librivox first. It's already there! Woot!

message 4: by Ishita (new) - added it

Ishita | 8 comments I cannot find a copy for this one. Could someone please email me one?

message 5: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Jan wrote: "Aubrey, I just had a thought! I narrate books as a volunteer on www.Librivox.org. Books posted there by volunteers are free to download. I think some of these public domain women authors are ove..."

That's a wonderful idea, Jan. I'd be happy to feature a link to any and all of your narrations within the main posts of the books. A directory devoted entirely to your audio recordings may be in order if you do enough of them.

message 6: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Ishita wrote: "I cannot find a copy for this one. Could someone please email me one?"

As the copyright's expired on this one, you can find this on Project Gutenburg at this link here, Ishita: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29866

I hope you enjoy it.

message 7: by Ishita (new) - added it

Ishita | 8 comments Thank you so much, Aubrey :)