Addicted to YA discussion

Any Questions? > Is paranormal romance/ supernatural fiction dead?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alyala (new)

Alyala (alyalawrites) | 3 comments I have written around 40 pages of manuscript that would be in the genre of paranormal romance, but I'm not sure if I missed the "paranormal trend". It has round characters and an interesting plot that hasn't been executed yet. I would just hate to write a book that no one cares to read. Thoughts?

message 2: by Alyala (new)

Alyala (alyalawrites) | 3 comments A quick summary: Marisa and Angelo have been friends for eleven years and are currently in their senior year of high school. How much more can you learn about someone after eleven years? After an incident in the forest, Marisa learns that Angelo is a moonshifter (turns into a wolf with other attributes) and that he has given the "condition" to her. They help each other deal with their personal problems and slowly start to restore their lives. That is, until before someone seems to catch on to this anomaly.

message 3: by Alyala (new)

Alyala (alyalawrites) | 3 comments Missy wrote: "I don’t think it’s dead; as a matter of fact, I think it’s thriving. There might seem like there’s less books being published, but I think that we’re starting to see a shift into self-published and..."'
Thank you so much! This really pushes my doubts aside.

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael Selden | 14 comments Trends usually arrive in waves. I wouldn't worry about them—just write what you think is a good story.

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (alex25) | 7 comments As a fellow writer I know it can be tempting to write whatever is currently in (especially when you write YA) but I think if you love your story and feel like it needs to be told write it anyways. Not everyone likes the same thing and I for one always appreciate books where you can tell the author cares about their story/characters and didn't just write it because its trendy. Just my two cents.

message 6: by Hunter (new)

Hunter | 136 comments A little bit of advice I've learned over time: Write what your heart feels like writing. Be truly passionate about it and steadily aim to make it completely your own. At the same time, though, be unique and don't succumb to the temptations of trends.

(To actually answer the question, though, I wouldn't say the genre's dead!)

message 7: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Triplett | 15 comments Something else to keep in mind with publishing. Most of the traditionally published books you see coming out were purchased by the publisher a year or more before they release. Just because it is what is coming out, doesn't mean it is what publishers are buying right now. So just write what you are passionate about and what will be will be.