Play Book Tag discussion

How to Be a Woman
This topic is about How to Be a Woman
March 2018: Autobiography > How to be a woman/Caitlin Moran/3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynda (last edited Mar 14, 2018 10:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynda Moran writes with wit, wisdom, honesty, and compassion. While there are as many ways to be a woman as there are women, Moran decribes some common experiences to young women attaining their years of fertility before the internet: Ignorance of what is supposed to happen, having no adult who they can ask, and deciding how to name one's own body parts. Moran continues her memoir until she makes a conscious decision to be finished her with years of fertility. Then like so many other women, she realizes she is past all youthfulness. Having lived through some of these dilemmas and perplexities, I was entertained. Having not experienced some of the same dilemmas and perplexities, I expanded my awareness some.
I rate this book a 3, higher than I simply enjoyed it 3, and lower than I am significantly expanded. The humor did it for me.

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 210 comments I've been wanting to read this, thank you for such a great review!

Sushicat | 804 comments I had a very strong negative reaction to this one. The humor just rubbed me wrong.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6920 comments The title turns me off, but that could be my mood today. Or it could be because I didn't read it as humour. But after what I've read here from Sushicat I think I'll pass--humour is very subjective and one has to be able to catch the tone from the writer, etc.

Also, Cynda, great review and this also helped me form my decision!

message 5: by Ladyslott (last edited Mar 16, 2018 10:40AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Sushicat wrote: "I had a very strong negative reaction to this one. The humor just rubbed me wrong."

Me too. Rated it one star, but only because a zero isn't available.

message 6: by Cynda (last edited Mar 16, 2018 01:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynda Moran is very human. I can understand how she can come off as offensive. I think that is true of many comdian's/people's sense of humor since humor is often based on the painful, the ugly, the unfathomable. With woman made as the complement to man, we have lots that us unfathomable to work through. Unfathomable is heavy load and a heavy topic.

message 7: by Cynda (last edited Mar 16, 2018 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynda Karin wrote: "The title turns me off, but that could be my mood today. Or it could be because I didn't read it as humour. But after what I've read here from Sushicat I think I'll pass--humour is very subjective ..."

Hi Karin. I so agree. I have learned to use interviews posted to YouTube to catch writers' intonation, attitudes, different ways of expression. It is the only reason I have been able to read and appreciate Gloria Steinem's book (currently reading). A woman with great soul.

Cynda Jamie wrote: "I've been wanting to read this, thank you for such a great review!"

Thanks Jamie! I hope you enjoy the book as much as I did :-)

message 9: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments This became on my radar when Emma Watson's book club read this- but I saw a lot of outstandingly negative reviews, so took it off my TBR. Now I'm conflicted.

Cynda Joi wrote: "This became on my radar when Emma Watson's book club read this- but I saw a lot of outstandingly negative reviews, so took it off my TBR. Now I'm conflicted."

Hi Joi. Perhaps you would like to watch a moment or two of YouTube video: Caitlin Moran - How to be a Woman.
I did not watch this video before reading, just went to look for one now. She is there talking about her book, so a few moments of that video may help you decide. Happy Reading :-)

Sushicat | 804 comments Cynda wrote: "I have learned to use interviews posted to YouTube to catch writers' intonation, attitudes, different ways of expression."

That's a great idea. I often wonder when I see big swings in reaction if it is just a matter of choosing the wrong voice when you read a book. This can make a big difference.

But humor is a very personal thing. I remember going to see a film that everybody was telling me was hilarious and came out totally annoyed. I've learned to be cautious when something is labelled humor or satire.

message 12: by Cynda (last edited Mar 17, 2018 04:07AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cynda Glad to share what works for me :-)

message 13: by Sushicat (last edited Mar 17, 2018 04:12AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Sushicat | 804 comments Joi wrote: "This became on my radar when Emma Watson's book club read this- but I saw a lot of outstandingly negative reviews, so took it off my TBR. Now I'm conflicted."

I say try it. See if it works for you. A lot of people did like it. On amazon if you go to the kindle edition it lets you read a couple of pages. That's usually enough to get an idea if you like the style of writing or not.