Polls for Our Souls discussion

Book Chat > Retellings! The best retellings you've read? :)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 65 (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Saga (new)

Saga (saganl) | 5 comments I Love Heartless by Marissa Meyer but I want to read more retellings!! Any suggestions? :)

⭐Anni⭐ (Book Princess) (annithebookprincess) | 624 comments I loved Heartless too!
The first that come to my mind are the Lunar Chronicles by the same author :) They're sci-fi like retellings of popular fairy tales.

*❆ Kαɾҽɳ ❆* | 24 comments Anni wrote: "I loved Heartless too!
The first that come to my mind are the Lunar Chronicles by the same author :) They're sci-fi like retellings of popular fairy tales."

Omg yes! Lunar Chronicles was the best and I loved Heartless too!

I liked Demelza Carlton's Fairytale Retelling series Enchant: Beauty and the Beast Retold this is book 1

The Magestaff is a good one too. And Cinderella and the Colonel :)

Hope it helps!

*❆ Kαɾҽɳ ❆* | 24 comments Oh almost forgot

Fated: Cinderella's Story is a really good one! :D

message 5: by MissBecka (last edited Mar 12, 2018 02:10AM) (new)

MissBecka Gee (missbeckagee) | 113 comments Yes, The Lunar Chonicles is amazing!
I also liked Girls Made of Snow and Glass a snow white retelling.
Alice in Zombieland is book 1 in the White Rabbit chronicles a Alice in wonderland retelling but with Zombies.
Queen of Hearts This is book 1 in a Alice in wonderland from the POV of the queen of hearts when she is a teen.
Serena Valentino does a cool series of books that are all retellings of Disney stories from the villian's POV. Fairest of All A Tale of the Wicked Queen by Serena Valentino The Beast Within A Tale of Beauty's Prince by Serena Valentino Poor Unfortunate Soul A Tale of the Sea Witch by Serena Valentino and Mistress of All Evil A Tale of the Dark Fairy by Serena Valentino

Geekerella is a modern day Cinderella retelling.
Dorothy Must Die is book 1 in a series about what happens after Dorothy visits Oz. Not a retelling exactly but super freaking awesome!
Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel and Disenchanted: The Trials of Cinderella are also pretty fun.

message 6: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments I read The Beast's Heart earlier this year and LOVED it! I loved the new insight into the Beast.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela Auten | 126 comments Gathering Frost and Withering Rose.

I really enjoyed them and I'm patiently waiting for the third one to come out. I love fairytale retellings to be completely honest. I have bought so many of them. I can't wait to dive into all of them soon.

message 8: by Yasmin (new)

Yasmin Halliwell Fraser Bower | 16 comments I really enjoyed ACOTAR trilogy, It's my absolute favorite retelling. And the Lunar Chronicles are amazing too.

I think that retelling that have an extra spunk add color to the original tale, and that's why this are my favs.

message 9: by Sara (new)

Sara Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson is my favourite re-telling!

I also really really liked the Christina Henry re-tellings: Lost Boy, Alice and Red Queen

While Beauty Slept by Elizabeth Blackwell is good

Finally, if you like comics, Fables is amazing!!

message 10: by Amariah (new)

Amariah Dixon Jenni James' Faerie Tale Collection (retellings of popular fairy tales) and the Jane Austen Diaries, also by her (Contemporary retellings of Jane Austen stories).

message 11: by Amariah (new)

Amariah Dixon I am not really a big fan of retellings, but these are VERY enjoyable!

message 12: by storytime-reviews (last edited Mar 12, 2018 06:29AM) (new)

storytime-reviews | 43 comments The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic is a great collection of short story retellings. Gail Carson Levine has some great fairytale retellings: Ella Enchanted, Fairest and Ever.

message 13: by The Daydreamologist (last edited Mar 12, 2018 06:56AM) (new)

The Daydreamologist (thedaydreamologist) The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale The Goose Girl
By Shannon Hale ( Try reading the whole series, that author's writing is FABULOUS!)
What Is Hidden (What Is Hidden, #1) by Lauren Skidmore What Is Hidden ( This one is a Cinderella retelling,and, I assure you, was completely wonderful)
Wildwood Dancing (Wildwood, #1) by Juliet Marillier Wildwood Dancing

There's a list for the best fairytale retellings on Goodreads. You should check that out.
Here's the link:
https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/9...

message 15: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments storytime-reviews wrote: "The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic is a great collection of short story retellings. Gail Carson Levine has some great fairytale retellings: [book:Ella Enchan..."

How did I forget about Language of Thorns - it's amazing!!

message 16: by ellie (new)

ellie (hugvvarts) | 44 comments The Song of Achilles: it's INCREDIBLE. you will never feel as many emotions as you will reading this book.

Aiden (The Book Scourge) | 141 comments Ughhh...I hate retellings just as much as the YA genre. I did however, really enjoy Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman.

message 18: by joanna ☽ (new)

joanna ☽ the little brown fairy (starburnt) | 1 comments to kill a kingdom (the little mermaid), cruel beauty (persephone and hades), and deathless (koschei the deathless) are all wonderful retellings! however, cruel beauty and deathless have a little more ~adult~ content if you’re worried about that.

message 19: by natalia (new)

natalia | 88 comments Wicked books or Lunar Chronicles

message 20: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 421 comments Far, Far Away, by Tom McNeal

The Mirrorworld books by Cornelia Funke are awesome.

Deerskin, by Robin McKinley (she's done a bunch more and some are good, but this is my favorite)

The Book of Lost Things, by John Connolly

The Looking Glass Wars by Frank Beddor are pretty well done

I didn't care for Splintered, by A. G. Howard, but my teen book club LOVED it (it's an Alice retelling).

Impossible, by Nancy Werlin!

Sisters Red, by Jackson Pearce

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic is a great collection of short story retellings. Gail Carson Levine has some great fairytale ret..."

I know right! It's amazing!

message 22: by Sabrien (new)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 72 comments Haven't read it yet, but I have high expectations for To Kill a Kingdom by Alexandra Christo, a little mermaid retelling.

message 23: by Tasya (new)

Tasya Dita (giselatasya) | 37 comments Splintered (Splintered, #1) by A.G. Howard which is about alice in wonderland
The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller a retelling of the illiad
The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1) by Katherine Arden which is a retelling of russian fairytales
The Wrath and the Dawn (The Wrath and the Dawn, #1) by Renee Ahdieh the best 1001 nights retelling

message 24: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic is a great collection of short story retellings. Gail Carson Levine has some gr..."

Definitely! I'd never heard of Leigh Bardugo until I'd read Language of Thorns, which then lead me to Six of Crows, which I loved!

message 25: by Kay (new)

Kay (hammockofbooks) | 2 comments I have so many favorites xD The Lunar Chronicles are my all time favorites, of course :) And I also really love The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale, the Wendy Darling Series by Colleen Oakes, anything by Gail Carson Levine (especially Ella Enchanted!!) although those books are more for children than YA, Beastly by Alex Flinn, and Spindle by Shonna Slayton <3

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Heartless... it's about the story of Queen of Hearts...

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic is a great collection of short story retellings. Gail..."

I actually read Six of Crows first at my sister's insistence, she was so obsessed! And I recently read The Language of Thorns, but am still yet to read Bardugo's first Grisha series. I have the books, but just haven't had the time yet and have so many other books to read!

Bookkitten (collector of nice things) (thebookkitten) | 33 comments Clearly, the Villian series by Serena Valentino.

And does Ever After High count?

message 29: by The Daydreamologist (last edited Mar 15, 2018 04:07AM) (new)

The Daydreamologist (thedaydreamologist) Bookkitten (currently a terrible book hoarder) wrote: "Clearly, the Villian series by Serena Valentino.

And does Ever After High count?"

I read that series, it was good despite being Middle Grade. I think Shannon Hale totally excels in Retellings . Her books are magical.

message 30: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic is a great collection of short story..."

Haha, I made my sister read it lol I was so obsessed and needed someone to rave about it with! Me too, Crooked Kingdom is arriving today which I'm hoping to start and then I'll work on the other series when I can afford it lol

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic is a great..."

Oh yay! Crooked Kingdom is really good, I'm sure you'll love it! My sis and I have basically the same taste in books, it was so easy when she got Goodreads after me because she just added basically every book I had-even our ratings are mostly the same!

message 32: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "[book:The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic|340..."

Yay! I can't wait - I keep anxiously looking out the window for Amazon to arrive with it so I can get started. Haha so do we, except for Thrillers. My sister loves thrillers but they're just not my cup of tea, other than that we sync up pretty well with our book choices. It's great though to have someone to read with! We're both reading the Throne of Glass series although I'm a couple of books ahead and it's great to have someone to freak out with about it lol

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "[book:The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tal..."

Yeah my sis has read them, but I haven't gotten around to them yet.

message 34: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "[book:The Language of Tho..."

I'd highly recommed :) and the A Court of Thorns and Roses series too - that's my favourite of the two series (so far at least).

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: ..."

Yes! I've read the first ACOTAR and have the rest of them–and one of my friends keeps begging me to read the next one! I'm defs going to read them, but again, it's all about finding the time because there are so many good books to read!

I'm actually gonna read SVTHSA again tomorrow though, because I'm going to an advanced screening next week.

message 36: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytim..."

Haha I know what you mean, I daren't even look at the number on my TBR and I add new books almost every day. I really need to quit my job and find a way to be paid just to read all day......

Ahhh I'm so jealous! I can't wait for the movie, I can't believe it's not out until April!!! I keep seeing teasers and it's driving me crazy lol

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Honestly I have a really long physical TBR coz my sis got a ton of book series over various birthdays/christmases that I still haven't gotten around to. I still gotta read the Lunar Chronicles as well!

I also have a number of ancient history books I've gotten as presents but not read yet because it's too much to read during uni coz I study classics & ancient history and I need a break from it lol.

Man I would do anything to be paid just to read all day!

Yeah it's out in Australia March 29, but the advanced screening is the 21st so I'm going to that coz I can't wait that long!

message 38: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments storytime-reviews wrote: "Honestly I have a really long physical TBR coz my sis got a ton of book series over various birthdays/christmases that I still haven't gotten around to. I still gotta read the Lunar Chronicles as w..."

Haha sounds good. That's so strange, I downloaded Cinder today because it's on special offer! I've heard good things so will try to start on it when I can lol

That's awesome! I completely picked the wrong course when I was at uni and dropped out after a year, if I could have my time again I think I'd have gone for creative writing.

lol it's the dream!

Sounds good - I hope you enjoy it!!

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Honestly I have a really long physical TBR coz my sis got a ton of book series over various birthdays/christmases that I still haven't gotten around to. I still gotta read..."

Yeah I defs wanna read Cinder! It sounds like a good retelling from everything I've heard! I'll probs finish ACOTAR first, then Grisha series and then Lunar Chronicles.

message 40: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Honestly I have a really long physical TBR coz my sis got a ton of book series over various birthdays/christmases that I still haven't gotten around to. I..."

lol at least you have a plan! I'm going to read Crooked Kingdom and then see what happens lol

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Honestly I have a really long physical TBR coz my sis got a ton of book series over various birthdays/christmases that I still h..."

Haha yeah! You're gonna love Crooked Kingdom, so have fun with that!

message 42: by Kay (new)

Kay Weston (myendlessshelf) | 10 comments storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Honestly I have a really long physical TBR coz my sis got a ton of book series over various birthdays/christmas..."

storytime-reviews | 43 comments Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "storytime-reviews wrote: "Honestly I have a really long physical TBR coz my sis got a ton of book series over v..."

Yay! :)

message 44: by Melliott (new)

Melliott (goodreadscommelliott) | 421 comments love, ellie wrote: "The Song of Achilles: it's INCREDIBLE. you will never feel as many emotions as you will reading this book."

I loved this book, too.

message 45: by E. (new)

E.  | 12 comments The Raven and the Reindeer - Snow Queen retelling
The Dryad's Shoe - Cinderella retelling
Hunting Monsters - many stories mixed together
In Ageless Sleep - Sleeping Beauty
Uncanny Magazine Issue 10: May/June 2016 (You’ll Surely Drown Here If You Stay by Alyssa Wong) - Cinderella retelling

message 47: by Heather (new)

Heather (hersecretsmile) | 56 comments Crimson Bound by Rosamund Hodge and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine are probably my favorite retellings.

Cruel Beauty and Fairest by the above authors respectively are both great as well. So is the A Court of Thorns and Roses series and The Wrath and the Dawn duology. Robin McKinley's retellings are super enjoyable as well.

message 48: by Damia (new)

Damia Munira (damiamunira) | 1 comments a thousand nights by EK Johnston!! it's super fun and well-written; true-to-heart!!

message 49: by Sabrien (new)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 72 comments Renée Ahdieh's The Wrath and the Dawn and The Rose and the Dagger

message 50: by Sabrien (new)

Sabrien Abdelrahman | 72 comments The Palace Chronicles by Margaret Peterson Haddix
Fairest, Ever, and Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
The White Rabbit Chronicles by Gena Showalter
The Scarlet Trilogy by A.C. Gaughen
The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

« previous 1