Beyond Reality discussion

Kate Wilhelm
This topic is about Kate Wilhelm
General SF&F discussion > R.I.P. Kate Wilhelm (1928–2018)

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Kate Wilhelm has passed away at the age of 89. A prolific author of science fiction and mystery novels, Wilhelm was also the co-founder of the Clarion Writers Workshop, through which she mentored many aspiring writers. The Solstice Award was renamed the Kate Wilhelm Solstice Award in 2016 by the SFWA in honor of her work in the field.

Excellent memorial: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/11/the...

message 2: by Candiss (last edited Mar 11, 2018 11:03PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Kate Wilhelm's Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang is one of my all-time favorite science fiction novels, and I highly recommend it to readers interested in stories about cloning, science gone strange, unintended consequences, interesting musings on post-apocalyptic survival, or science fictional multi-generational family sagas. I should reread it soon.

I personally think it's a terrible shame that Wilhelm was never crowned a Grandmaster, but perhaps that would have been a bit odd, considering the award (technically the "Damon Knight Memorial Grandmaster Award") was named for her husband.

message 3: by Shel, Moderator (new)

Shel (shel99) | 2150 comments Mod
Candiss wrote: "Kate Wilhelm's Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang is one of my all-time favorite science fiction novels, and I highly recommend it to readers interested in stories about cloning, science..."

I have a copy of that sitting unread on my shelf. Maybe I'll pick it up next.

message 4: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments Candiss wrote: "Kate Wilhelm's Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang is one of my all-time favorite science fiction novels, and I highly recommend it to readers interested in stories about cloning, science..."

I have read Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang and maybe one of her mysteries. The book is a solid entry in the mid-seventies social sci-fi I like so much, though I have never listed it as a particular favorite.

I fell that I should have known the information you have given here about her, but somehow I did not know much of it. Perhaps forgotten, perhaps stuck up on a shelf somewhere. I am in awe of her type of sci-fi, though, and bow my hat to her memory.