Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 160k Steampunk Fantasy in Need of a Tough Critique

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by H.J. (new)

H.J. Peterson | 18 comments Hello, one and all! I'm currently in the process of doing my first round of editing for the first book in a steampunk fantasy trilogy, and I'm looking to get some beta readers to critique what I've got. I need people who aren't afraid to give me some negative comments (as long as they're constructive, of course) and don't mind reading some dense material.

Book Information:

The book (entitled "The Assassin's Blade") is a steampunk fantasy based in a fictional country resembling Germany. The story follows a social uprising lead by the mysterious figure known only as the Archangel through the perspectives of three people: a wanted criminal, a nobleman, and a police inspector. The three of their paths end up colliding, and they team up to bring down the Archangel.

How I Do Things:

I do my edits in three separate stages, with beta readings in between each. By no means, does anybody have to participate in all three. The first round of betas will be looking for more general ideas: does it make sense, do you like the protagonists, etc. The second round will go through the edits I make according to the first groups, looking at finer details. The last group is to pick up on anything I might have missed and to give me an overall reader reaction. You'll get the chapters in 10 chapter chunks, for a total of about six chunks.

I need at least three betas, but I will take as many as would like to do it: the more the merrier, I think.

Beta Requirements:
-Ability to work in google docs (that's how you'll get the chapters)
-Attention to detail
-Ability and willingness to give thoughtful, meaningful critiques

Please either comment on this thread or send me a PM if you have any questions/comments.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Mar 12, 2018 07:01PM) (new)

Sarah Snider I'm a picky beta. I enjoy beta reading a good book, but if I'm not hooked by the first chapter I will bail on you. If the book lags in the middle I might bail as well. If you are willing to take the criticism of "this isn't holding my interest, I'm going to stop reading now" I will happily beta for you.

message 3: by Elesa (last edited Mar 17, 2018 06:19PM) (new)

Elesa | 16 comments Hello Sybil,
I am willing to beta read for you. I work best in google docs. You can send an invite to me through songsforhim2012@gmail.com.
If you like how I communicate my thoughts about your story then I will continue to beta read for the rest of your stages.
I love steampunk and I am not intimidated by "dense" material.

message 4: by H.J. (new)

H.J. Peterson | 18 comments Elesa wrote: "Hello Sybil,
I am willing to beta read for you. I work best in google docs. You can send an invite to me through songsforhim2012@gmail.com.
If you like how I communicate my thoughts about your sto..."

Hello, Elesa!

Thank you for your interest! I'm just working on fixing some formatting issues that popped up when I transferred things to the google doc, right now. Once I've got that done, I'll share it with you.

message 5: by H.J. (new)

H.J. Peterson | 18 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm a picky beta. I enjoy beta reading a good book, but if I'm not hooked by the first chapter I will bail on you. If the book lags in the middle I might bail as well. If you are willing to take th..."

Hello Sarah!

Thank you for your interest! I don't mind if you decide to drop out because of lack of interest, but could you possibly meet me in the middle and at least finish whatever chunk you happen to be on before you drop out?

message 6: by SC (new)

SC Riley | 2 comments I'd be willing to swap chapters/critiques if you're interested, as it seems our stories are somewhat close in length. I have a 125k YA Fantasy novel, so I would say I'm perfectly fine with reading "dense material." :P Let me know if you're interested and we can chat.