A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

What will you do when the show catches up to, and passes, the books?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (dww108) | 46 comments I'd prefer to read Martin's story before seeing the HBO adaptation of it, but I no longer think that is going to happen. The show is going to pass Martin. Do we keep watching and spoil the books? It would be a hard show to avoid so I'm not sure there is much choice.

message 2: by James (new)

James Galvin | 98 comments I will read the books as they are released and pray to the old gods G.R.R.M. Finishes first. If he doesn't I'll watch the show and pray the endings are different. As someone who took 15 years off reading, I have no problem reading something I've already seen on screen. I read Game of Thrones after watching the first season and loved it more than the series so I don't think the last books would be different.

message 3: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Lyman | 2 comments I've read all of the books so far, and I am caught up on the TV series as well. I am hoping Martin knows the show schedule, and will at least have one more book by the time they fully catch up. Who knows.

message 4: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments I don't think it's possible for me to stop watching the TV show. I love it, and want to watch it, and if I don't, I wouldn't be able to avoid spoilers anyway. And for what? I don't believe the show will have spoilers for the next books. I think they'll just start inventing new stories like they did last season for Jon and Bran, for example, when Bran was captured by the rebels from the Night's Watch.

I think (and hope) they won't go in a direction too different from the books, so they can eventually reach a similar ending, but they will probably add new things to the story to keep it going until the rest of the books comes out.

I still think this is a shitty situation, and hope somehow GRRM gets inspired and writes the last books before the last season of the show ends, or we'll end up with two stories with similar beginnings but completely different endings. Or worst, the same ending but first told in the show, which would make the ending in the book look like an adaptation of the show instead of the other way around.

Oh by the Seven, I hope that doesn't happen.

message 5: by Keisi (new)

Keisi Mançellari | 32 comments I would like to pretend that I wouldn't watch the show, but wait for the books which is untrue. I don't think my curiosity would let me but for now, I find comfort in something I read a few days ago: it has been announced that The Winds Of Winter will be out before the next season, in January I think (not sure). So for now, GRRM's original story is safe and I do hope this book is long and will include two seasons (or more-that's just unrealistic).

message 6: by Gonzalo (new)

Gonzalo Daniel Peña | 2 comments well.. that would be a bad situation, I don't know if i'm strong enough to stop watching the show and wait for the new book.
Lord of fire give me strength!!

message 7: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments Keisi wrote: "I would like to pretend that I wouldn't watch the show, but wait for the books which is untrue. I don't think my curiosity would let me but for now, I find comfort in something I read a few days ag..."

Where did you read that??

message 8: by Simone (new)

Simone Francois (simonefrncs) | 14 comments Well I am little behind because I am about to begin book 3 so I do not think I will have that problem, but if I did I would just keep watching the show and read the next novel whenever it comes out.

message 9: by Keisi (new)

Keisi Mançellari | 32 comments Actually one of my friends posted a link on Facebook but I can't seem to find it. Anyway after some research i found that if GRRM wrote as fast as J.K.Rowling than we'd have the book in February 2015, if slower, than later.

message 10: by Kat (new)

Kat (katsobsession) | 141 comments I will be highly irritated, but will watch anyway. So I just will hope GRRM finishes first!

message 11: by David (new)

David (dww108) | 46 comments GRRM is supposedly making a "major announcement" with his British publisher on August 21st. It likely has to do with The World of Ice and Fire which comes out in October. But dare to dream, it could be an announcement about Winds of Winter. But, until Martin finishes his epic I'll just continue reading other books. I'm currently reading Dune and enjoying it quite a bit.

message 12: by John (new)

John If I think that the show will be passing the books and spoiling anything for me I'll have to stop watching. It's a great show but for me it's been a supplement to the books. I don't want to turn that dynamic around. Yes GRRM's novels will be different than the show turns out to be, but I'd rather learn about future events from Martin himself.

message 13: by H (new)

H Hunt | 34 comments The rate HBO & GRRM are going with 1 season a yr, it'll take 20 yrs = [

message 14: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments Dww108 wrote: "GRRM is supposedly making a "major announcement" with his British publisher on August 21st. It likely has to do with The World of Ice and Fire which comes out in October. But dare to dream, it coul..."

I don't think his announcement would be about The World of Ice and Fire. What could he announce about it at this point? It's already finished, it has a release date, it's on pre-sale online... There couldn't be much more to say about that, right?

So I hope, fingers crossed, that if he makes a "major announcement" it would be (please God) about at least an estimate release date for The Winds of Winter.

And I hope it's not another sample chapter. I want the whole cookie, not more of these crumbs.

message 15: by David (new)

David (dww108) | 46 comments Remy, you make valid points. I still think it is more likely he will announce an Essos cookbook or a new novella about some Targaryian third cousin who lived 200 years before the story than a release date for Winds of Winter. Don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those fans who thinks GRRM must put his life on hold and get to work because he owes me a book. It is GRRM's choice to finish ASOIAF whenever he wishes, or not at all. if he wants to write peripheral stuff about this world he created, that's his prerogative. I just don't really care about all that extra stuff. So I'm not getting my hopes up about this "major announcement" because I believe it will be a peripheral project.

message 16: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments Dww108 wrote: "Remy, you make valid points. I still think it is more likely he will announce an Essos cookbook or a new novella about some Targaryian third cousin who lived 200 years before the story than a relea..."

I agree. I know, trust me. But that won't stop me from having a tiny bit of hope. I know deep down you probably do too.

But yeah, I know it's best to have low expectations (and I have them very low at this point since I really don't think he's even close to finishing the book).

message 18: by Keisi (new)

Keisi Mançellari | 32 comments I always had the impression of a fat Doran Martell :( and as always I hate it when actors are changed, we already had a Myrcella!

message 19: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments Nelson wrote: "New Cast Members!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2ri..."

I actually think Doran looks quite right. Trystane and Myrcella of course look way older than they should, but ok, that was expected.

I didn't imagine Areo Hotah like a black guy but since I've read that they were casting someone like that, I've liked the idea.

But what about Yezzan? I don't think I need to say he looks waaaay skinnier than he should.

I like the Sand Snakes, but where is Arianne Martell? Where is Arys Oakheart? And Darkstar, and the rest of the characters from Dorne?

And where are the freaking Greyjoys?? With as little book material as they already have, are they seriously not gonna use the little they have?

message 20: by Shii (new)

Shii (shiisreading) | 75 comments I've not much to say about this thread...I can't decide what to do about the show...I got really annoyed last season about some minimum details that were kind of spoilery in my opinion. But! Watching the show has become almost a tradition! So I don't know yet...

Nelson wrote: "New Cast Members!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH2ri..."

But on this matter: OMG!!!! I'm so exciteeeeeeeeed (reason why I don't know if I could be able to resist watching the show)

@Keisi Yeah! Doran Martell was also fat on my mind!! and Areo Hotah was definetly not black! But That's ok...I don't mind a very much more atractive Doran :)

I'm praying they don't screw things up with Myrcella and Trystane....but if they're casting older actors I don't picture them keeping it innocent. :(

@Remy I think it's quite standard not to reveal the entire cast, and there is a lot of time ahead to make new announcements.

I don't think it would be that serious if they don't include Greyjoys though. As you said, there is little book material, so maybe it's better to keep it to later on the serie.

I'm more worried about Yezzan...Isn't it a little bit too soon to his appearence?

Jonathan Pryce will do a great High Sparrow!

Damn...The story is moving really fast :/ Didn't realized we were catching the books already.

message 21: by David (new)

David (dww108) | 46 comments Remy, I don't expect to see much of the Greyjoys unless GRRM has informed Beniof and Weiss that the Greyjoy plot line is vital to the story. The show also has so many characters and the Martells, whom the show must have, are already going to exacerbate that problem. So they need to economize characters wherever possible. Thus, I think Greyjoys get cut.

message 22: by Remy (new)

Remy Blas (remyblas) | 247 comments I don't think they need a confirmation that the Greyjoy's plot is important. Their story is a big part of A feast for crows, even though not much happens really. They can't leave Euron and his valyrian horn out of it, or Victarion and his quest to find Daenerys. Maybe they'll just push it ahead for another season, like Shii sugested, but they can't just "leave it out" like they did with Lady Stoneheart, whose story apparently actually wasn't important at all, since apparently Michelle Fairley isn't coming back at all.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 1113 comments I think I still watch the show and read the books. I come to treat them as separate like Trueblood.

message 24: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (auntec) | 1 comments Did anyone see GRRM on the Emmy's Monday night? They brought him a typewriter to his seat and urged him to write. Really funny!

message 25: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 10 comments I would really prefer to read the books first because they're so much better. But the show will probably pass it. And with social media being a thing even if you don't watch them you'll find out major plot points from others. Oh well, as long as the books come out eventually (hopefully they can all be written before the author... You know).

message 26: by Shii (last edited Aug 28, 2014 10:36AM) (new)

Shii (shiisreading) | 75 comments Yesterday I was watching the comic-con interview with GoT cast, someone asked D&D what the show would do when they catch up to the books and they didn't aswer cause they consider it as spoilers. Booooo!

message 28: by David (new)

David (dww108) | 46 comments I think Nathan hit the mail square on the head. Social media won't allow us to avoid the show. The show is simply too big. So if the show confirms Jon Snow's parentage, we won't be able to avoid it. I'd rather read it first as well, but have resigned myself to the fact that my book experience is probably going to be spoiled. I don't begrudge Mr. Martin anything. If he wants to write at a glacial pace, that's his prerogative. I just hope his ego kicks in and he forces himself to finish his opus before it gets spoiled.

message 29: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments I just can't see any author building this world FOR DECADES now and letting a tv show spoil the major plot lines of His world for HIS readers! I can't see him letting it happen but very possibly may! Will be a sad and depressing day when I learn major spoilers from the show and not from his pen.

message 30: by Michael (new)

Michael Lavin | 197 comments Words are wind! HODOR!

message 31: by Nathan (new)

Nathan | 10 comments I wonder how good of a chance there is that the author has secretly been writing like crazy for the past few years and will psych out everyone when he releases the lasts two books a month before the show season that covers them begins... but that's probably as likely as Ned Stark swooping in, killing all the Lannisters (well, the bad ones), reclaiming his family, and going back to the rebuilt Winterfell.

message 32: by David (new)

David (dww108) | 46 comments Michael, that is my hope as well. George Martin has a healthy ego, and he should. I'd be really proud if I wrote ASOIAF. Our hope is that his ego won't let the show pass the books and spoil the ending. Nobody wants to watch the end before we read it. Especially since some people have been reading this for going on 20 years.