Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to the Top - Seth Mnookin - 5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Baseball, one of my favorite topics.

This is a book about the Boston Red Sox, their history, and finally winning the World Series in 2004 after a 89 year drought.

For non-baseball fans. Do you know of Babe Ruth? The famed New York Yankee and long time home run king? He started his career with the Boston Red Sox as a pitcher. The Red Sox traded Ruth to the Yankees in 1920, who become The Great Bambino and Sultan of Swat that we know of today. Until 2004, the Red Sox never won another world series, leading to the belief of the Curse of the Bambino.

This book covers the history of the Red Sox, corrects some misconceptions, such as the Red Sox owner traded Ruth away to produce a play and the Curse of the Bambino did not become commonly accepted until years later, and the Red Sox owner Yawkey, who until recently has been renowned in baseball, fought against integrating baseball. The book covers some of the Red Sox greats, then the story really starts.

The focus starts with the sale of the Red Sox to the current owners, back in 2002, how Boston did not want Henry and his group to purchase the team, and the struggles and drama involved. Then these new owners revamping a broken system. Before Moneyball was released, the Red Sox has hired Bill James the creator of saber-metrics, and promoted Epstein to GM (who also recently was GM of the Cubs when they broke their own curse to win the World Series) to start a new era, not only for the "Sawks" but also baseball. The book delves into the clubhouse and dealing with manager problems and player problems. Difficult players like Manny Ramirez, Pedro Martinez, and Nomar Garciaparra. How Epstein rebuilt the Sox, and most importantly, How they broke long MLB records to finally get past the "evil empire' of the Yankees to make and win the World Series.

Lastly the book focuses on the difficulties that arises in an organization after finally reaching the ultimate goal. How its not happiness and bliss after a World Series, but as Robert Kraft (owner of New England Patriots) warned, watch out for the infighting.

As a baseball fan, this book was amazing. Its real inside access to a team from top to bottom. It is also written to where a non baseball fan can read and possibly enjoy. I watched these moments in history, I remember the media stories, but this book brought a side you don't get to see and it was wonderful to experience the World Series win from that side of the game, even years later.

Every baseball fan should read this book for sure.

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8878 comments In 2004, everyone in Boston was talking about this. It bled into therapy offices hourly. As a sign of hope that things could turn and a curse could be broken. We know Bostonites love their sports. But this event went into the heart of fans like nothing I have ever seen. Heard of Red Sox Nation? Or Patriot nation? In 2004, I had a one year old and still never knew or understood the relationship between Boston and Sports. Now with three boys, I see and get it. But this event is what taught it to me first. I will never forget it.

message 3: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Yes I have heard of Red Sox Nation. The rest of baseball and even other sports have now pilfered that term. The book tries to truly express The Boston Red Sox winning the World series after 89 years and after some heartbreaking failures like in 86 and 2003. It comes very close to accurate. It's amazing the Cubs broke their 108 year curse, Curse of the goat two years ago with the same GM. Chicago got to experience the same thing, though Boston gave it a whole different element that can't be replicated anywhere in the country.

message 4: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8878 comments For your son in about two years, maybe your daughter now... have you heard of the ballpark mysteries? My older boys loved it, and I am reading them now with the curly haired monster. Each features a mystery set In Each of the ball teams famous ballparks, solved by a boy girl pair of sleuths. Cousins. Featuring why each ballpark is special. We are on number 9 now. Series by David A. Kelly. We have loved these!

message 5: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6546 comments Love your review, but as a Yankees fan not sure I can stomach that much reading about the Red Sox lol.

message 6: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Anita wrote: "Love your review, but as a Yankees fan not sure I can stomach that much reading about the Red Sox lol."

Yes, and though there is some respect for the Yankees, there is some bashing as well

message 7: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Amy wrote: "For your son in about two years, maybe your daughter now... have you heard of the ballpark mysteries? My older boys loved it, and I am reading them now with the curly haired monster. Each features ..."

No I have never heard of these. I will look into it. Thanks.