What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Just to chat > Advice on choosing a writing book to buy

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily (emalderwood) | 42 comments I’m looking to get a book to help me develop a novel I’m writing but I’m not sure which one to choose.

The main two I’m deciding between are ‘Ready, Set, Novel: A Workbook’ by Lindsey Grant and ‘Writing Fantasy and Science Fiction’ by Orson Scott Card. I’m looking for both specific feedback on those two books and any suggestions of other writing books you’ve enjoyed :)

———————————

For the specific questions about the two books I mentioned:

- Does anyone have any feedback about what the pros are to each and ideas as to how helpful each might be?
- Details about particularly helpful sections or ways they stood out/ how they were helpful?

Basically I’m trying to make a decision without the advantage of physically flipping through them. :( So any other details about things I would miss from not being able to hold a physical copy would be appreciated.

message 2: by Deanne (new)

Deanne Devine | 180 comments I haven’t read either of those, but as a recommendation I will offer up On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft On Writing A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King . There is a lot of autobiographical content, which is inspiring, but also a lot of nuts and bolts.

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily (emalderwood) | 42 comments Thanks, Deanne! That’s one to look into for sure! :)