What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Cold War Mystery/Spy Novel- British Government Official on Ship has Daughter Kidnapped by Russians

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M (new)

M Harris This book was laid in the Cold War, probably in the 1950s or 60s. It is set aboard a commercial ocean-going ship where a British family of a man, his wife, and his daughter are traveling. The man was a diplomat or a government official in the British government. While on the ship, his daughter (pre-teen to early teen I think) is kidnapped by nefarious people who I believe were Russians. They hold her and demand some sort of governmental knowledge from him. I remember distinctly in the beginning when it is first being realized that she is gone, the father recites part of the Thomas Hood poem Bridge of Sighs: "Take her up tenderly, Lift her with care; Fashion'd so slenderly, Young, and so fair!"
Thank you for any information or ideas you can give me! If I remember anything else I will update the post.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37777 comments Mod
When did you read it or when was it published?
Author female or male?
Remember the cover?

message 3: by M (new)

M Harris Lobstergirl wrote: "When did you read it or when was it published?
Author female or male?
Remember the cover?"

It was read several years ago when it was pulled out of a bookcase at random of my Grandmother's books. I think it was probably published in the 1960s, but could have been a bit earlier or later, but definitely during the Cold War. I believe the cover was mostly white with a black image or outline, possibly of a ship. I do not remember whether the author was male or female.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37777 comments Mod
M left the group. Moving to Abandoned.