What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book (likely to be British) about teenager who runs away and ends up living in a rubbish dump/tip

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Imogen (new)

Imogen | 1 comments 90% sure this was a book written by a British author in either the 90s or early 2000s. There was possibly black and white illustrations included in the book but I could be wrong- the version I read was a hardback copy with glossy pages. From what I can remember, a young teenage boy runs away from home as his mum has an absuive boyfriend. He skips school to get a train and then a taxi and ends up at a rubbish tip. I remember before he gets out the taxi there’s a big dog that starts jumping up at the window trying to attack him. Later on in the book he meets a girl who is also fairly young and has been living within the tip for several years. She had taught herself how to fix cars and spends her days reading old manuals on car mechanics. Eventually the main character finds out she still lives on the dump because there’s no escape and she’s never found her way out. I cant remember finishing the book or if they ever end up escaping the dump in the end.

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2686 comments Are you still looking for this, Imogen? I'm sorry that I don't have any specific suggestions, but it might be on this list - Runaways in YA and Middle Grade Fiction

You can 'bump' your post by adding a comment every 30 days, so that more people will see it.