Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > Shomeret's Fluctuating February 3/3

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shomeret (new)

Shomeret | 1371 comments 9)Chinawoman's Chance: Volume 1 by James Musgrave (historical mystery)Source: Author. I nominated it on Kindle Scout, but it wasn't accepted for publication. I, and all other nominators of this book, got every draft of this novel before self-publication anyway. Started: 2/17 with the version for sale on Amazon Finished: 2/19

Why Read: The first woman to pass the bar in California in the late 19th century is the MC. She defends a Chinese client in an era when the Chinese weren't allowed to become U.S. citizens. She also investigates the case. "Wow!" I said when I saw that summary.

Comments: The MC is a real person, and she was as prejudiced against the Chinese as most Americans were in that time period. She would never have had a Chinese client. There were other problems. I gave it a B- See my review at http://wwwbookbabe.blogspot.com/2018/...

10)The Hour Before Dawn and Two Other Stories from Newford by Charles De Lint (single author fantasy anthology) 114 pages. Source: Library Started: 2/19
Finished: 2/21

Why Read: I love Charles De Lint's Newford stories and I hadn't read these. It was like discovering buried treasure.

Comments: I didn't like the first two stories, but I loved the last one. I gave the anthology a C.

11) Santa Fe Mourning
by Amanda Allen (historical mystery) 298 pages. Source: Goodreads giveaway win
Started: 2/21 Finished: 2/25

Why Read: An artist MC, New Mexico and Native Americans in the 1920's which is my favorite 20th century decade.

Comments: I really was impressed with the author's research on New Mexico in the 1920's. I also liked the Native American aspect, but the MC ended up being TSTL (Too Stupid To Live). I preferred Chinawoman's Chance. I gave it a C+.

12)The Night of the Flood ed. E. A. Aymar and Sarah M. Chen (anthologized disaster novel)Source: Wiley Started: 2/25 Finished: 2/27

Why Read: This is an unusual way to write a novel. It wasn't a collaboration. It was a collection of short stories about the same event. I was intrigued.

Comments: Some of these stories were really quite good. I'm not really a fan of disaster novels. This was better than I expected. See my review at http://shomeretmasked.blogspot.com/20...

I read a few less than January, but I felt like I'd been on a roller coaster with lots of expectation whiplash. For once I'd like a book that matches my expectations.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14396 comments Shomeret: nice variety for the month. I understand your comment on expectation whiplash. With as many review books as you read, I can see the potential for a percentage of books to not live up to the marketing hype.

Shomeret wrote: "I read a few less than January, but I felt like I'd been on a roller coaster with lots of expectation whiplash. For once I'd like a book that matches my expectations
..."