Gail Carriger Fan Group discussion

Clockwork Heart (Clockwork Heart, #1)
This topic is about Clockwork Heart
Coop de Book Group > August Read: Clockwork Heart by Dru Pagliassotti (Adult)

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Skye (Skye's Scribblings) | 241 comments Mod
Let's discuss!

Please note the page or chapter you're on at the start of your comment so if someone isn't that far yet they can avoid possible spoilers - thank you! :)

message 2: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 6 comments I will not be able to read this one since I don´t want to buy it (bought the others). No library in Finland seems to have this one in their collection.

message 3: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Piveronas | 2 comments I am excited to see if I can find this one at the library. I have been wanting to read it.

Cori (coridomschot) | 18 comments I'm waiting to see if my library will buy it. If they don't buy it by the first I'll look into other options.

message 5: by Puck (new)

Puck (theleakypen) | 8 comments I'm gonna see if I can get a hold of this this weekend.

Viktoria | 33 comments Excellent! It's been on my want-to-read list for a while.

Kelly Hodgkins (moonglotexas) | 2 comments Thoroughly enjoyable light read, tad predictable but fun!

Skye (Skye's Scribblings) | 241 comments Mod
None of my libraries have it. *sigh* Now checking used bookstores...

Connie (hoot reads books) (connieng) Even I can't find it at my local library either. Too bad!

Trine Paulsen | 1 comments Hi,

I'm new to this group but I am a big fan of Gail Carriger's books.

I'm really looking forward to re-reading this one if I still have it in one of my boxes.

message 11: by Jayme (last edited Aug 07, 2014 07:51AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme (jayme_abbott) | 3 comments I'm also new to this group, but love Gail Carriger's books and also the books chosen for this book club so far. I can't wait to discuss with everyone!

I work in a library and can access other library catalogs all over the country (for those who can't find the book at your local library, ask if they participate in any sort of Interlibrary Loan, where they can order a book for you from another library). I'm also in charge of ordering ebooks. Which is best for reading Clockwork Heart, do you think? Hard copy or digital?? Hmm...

Viktoria | 33 comments Jaye wrote: "I'm also new to this group, but love Gail Carriger's books and also the books chosen for this book club so far. I can't wait to discuss with everyone!

I work in a library and can access other lib..."

SCORE! We now have our very own librarian in the group. Welcome, Jaye, and thanks for offering to help members locate copies.

I'm reading the Kindle version. I like to switch to the Kindle app on my phone when I'm out and about. Love the sync feature.

Jayme (jayme_abbott) | 3 comments I usually read on my Kindle app on the phone too, but something about steampunk makes me want to read an "old-fashioned" paperback copy, ya know?

Thanks for the warm welcome, Viktoria! I'll try to bring whatever possibly-helpful librariany knowledge I might have to the group!

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne (wickedboldt) I ended up having to Interlibrary Loan a copy at the library where I work. I wanted the audiobook, however, which is a little scarcer.

Definitely see if your library does ILL if you're having trouble locating a copy.

message 15: by Cori (last edited Aug 23, 2014 09:15PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cori (coridomschot) | 18 comments So I got the book about a week ago, and I'm 50% done (almost done with chapter 10)

I was hoping that as the reading went on some clarification would come in on the caste system. I've read Tamora Pierce's Shatterglass (dealing with a caste system) and felt like I sort of got what Dru Pagliassotti was going for, but then she (Dru Pagliassotti) throws curve balls where higher caste members purposely interact in "inappropriate" ways towards her (Taya) as an Icarii. Something else I feel remains unexplained is how the city works/lives by a clockwork heart (Great Engine). Hopefully some of these questions will be answered as I move forward.
Things I enjoy about this book are the pacing, and the writing. I do feel it is well written even though I have questions. Finally, I very much enjoy the mystery and espionage that we were dropped into. Taya's attempts at investigation are humorous, since she investigates based on happenstances that she encounters instead of actually trying for most of the book.

Allie | 57 comments Finished
What Kelly said earlier. Fun quick read but predictable.

message 17: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail Carriger (gail_carriger) | 103 comments Ok dookie, my review is live. http://gailcarriger.blogspot.com/2014...
I'll put a shorter on on Goodreads soon.

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (steampoweredkitty) | 1 comments I was a little skeptical about this book at first, especially in the first chapter when I was grappling with the the new terms, but as I got into it I couldn't put it down! As in Gail's review, I was confused as the story started to unfurl as to the genre of book it was. At first it was a romance, but then it quickly became a mystery, which I really wasn't expecting (I don't like to read a lot of description/back cover blurbs before reading a book). It certainly kept it interesting!

message 19: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Piveronas | 2 comments completed book

Well this book had a slow start for me, it took a good week for me to find an interest in it. I did enjoy the alternate world setting, and that the action scenes were not too gruesome. I did like me main characters and their personalities. I am still not sure about the programming team, maybe they knew more than they were letting on. They did work together very closely. Overall it was a good book to read.

Viktoria | 33 comments I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I'm looking forward to finishing the series. Cristof had a Mr. Darcy meets Ichabod Crane feel, especially in the beginning, and even grumpy I liked him from the start. His brother on the other hand was much too charming; creepy charming. I kept thinking please don't let him be the love interest.

I intend to buy this series for my niece, following the Finishing School Series, of course. I'm sure she'll enjoy it but mostly for the following quote which every young woman should have taped to her bathroom mirror.

"I told him every man in the eyrie adores you and it wasn't any of his business how many boyfriends you had, because if he doesn't respect you for who you are now, he doesn't deserve to have you." -Cassi, Clockwork Heart

message 21: by Gail (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gail Carriger (gail_carriger) | 103 comments That is a marvelous quote!

Viktoria | 33 comments I know and I got to use the highlight feature on my Kindle. :)

Jayme (jayme_abbott) | 3 comments Better late than never! I finally finished Clockwork Heart. And, looking back, there were three reasons why it took me so long to finish.

1) I'd decided to read the hard copy of the book. I Interlibrary Loaned it, which took a few days, and then it sat on my coffee table for a few more days. I used to be so against ebooks. I felt like Giles (**See below) about a book read via computer.

I guess I'm an official ebook convert now. I just couldn't read it that way! I tried. I read a few chapters, but to took FOR-E-VER! I need that ability to pull out my phone and read a few pages here and there.

So then I got the Kindle edition. Problem solved.

2) Mysteries are fine and all. They're not my favorite though and, unless I'm in the mood, I find them kind of annoying. It's probably predictability...or more accurately the urge to predict. I can't just enjoy the ride, I HAVE to try to figure it out! So when people die or don't die or accuse or go from suspect to villain...I've either suspected and am unimpressed or I had no idea and liked my imagination's version better.

I would have been able to get into Clockwork Heart better if the mystery hadn't been such a huge part of the storyline. A mystery subplot with tons of other stuff going on, witty banter and multifaceted characters? That's no problem. But a "steampunk", "romance", "sci/fi/fantasy" that's really just a mystery? Eh.

3) HUMOR! Every book doesn't HAVE to be hilarious, but a funny line here or there sure makes a story richer. Clockwork Heart just wasn't funny.

SO...I liked the book. Anytime Taya was flying or talking about her wings was awesome. What a cool idea! And Cristof? I do love a broody, cranky male lead. Wish the supporting characters had more personality, and existed in their own worlds with their own subplots and not just to give Taya someone to talk to in their scenes. The world-building was by far the brilliance of the story. I'll be putting the rest of the series in my queue, because the world IS so interesting. And though I did like Taya as a character, I hope to see her personality become more complicated in the future.

**"Smell is the most powerful trigger to the memory there is. A certain flower, or a whiff of smoke can bring up experiences long forgotten. Books smell musty and rich. The knowledge gained from a computer is a - it, uh, it has no texture, no context. It's there and then it's gone. If it's to last, then the getting of knowledge should be, uh, tangible, it should be, um, smelly." --Giles, Buffy the Vampire Slayer