Retro Reads discussion

The Far Pavilions
This topic is about The Far Pavilions
Far Pavilions > THE FAR PAVILIONS: The book as a whole--all spoiler-laden discussions of the book and movie welcome here

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
If you are re-reading along with this thread and want to record and discuss your spoiler-laden thoughts, this is the perfect place; if you would like to talk about the mini-series or even the ending of the book, feel free. Those of us in the rear guard will try not to peek :D

Misfit | 155 comments Lol.

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
Oooh. Look at that. I just peeked ;)

Misfit | 155 comments Hah. Glad you started this thread.

message 5: by Lakshmi (new)

Lakshmi Hayagriva | 2 comments I thorougly enjoyed this book and wouldn't mind reading it again. But the way the love story part of the book is being hyped seems to be a ploy to increase sales ! I hope to read other books by this author.

message 6: by Hana (last edited Aug 07, 2014 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
I just finished and I actually wished that the love story had been given more prominence. And I would really have liked an epilog--the last line made me more than a bit cranky even though I have no doubt that they found their valley. Gul Baz, Ash and Juli: I can't imagine a more competent, intrepid team. Still....

I loved that it was Juli who remembered Sita's valley and I loved Ash remembering Koda Dad's prediction that 'one day I might discover in myself a third person...someone whole and complete....'

message 7: by Hana (last edited Aug 07, 2014 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hana | 1104 comments Mod
I'm so glad they had such practical help from Nakshband Khan who advised them that the best plan would be to follow the caravan route to Chitral and from there across the passes into Kashmir. And it was very fortunate that the Sirdar had Mongolian ponies, poshteens and Gilgit boots to help them on their journey.

I couldn't Googling (yes Diane Lynn--I am incorrigible!) the route from Kabul to Chitral. These days (with luck and for Westerners entirely in theory) you can drive the 400+ kilometers in six hours, skirting the Nuristan Forest and crossing the border into Pakistan just north of Asmar. Is it any less dangerous today? I have no idea...but the road is a lot better!

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 332 comments Hana wrote: "If you are re-reading along with this thread and want to record and discuss your spoiler-laden thoughts, this is the perfect place; if you would like to talk about the mini-series or even the endin..."

just seeing all of this...glad I was invited to the group. I might watch the mini series on Amazon Prime this next week. It looks good.