Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Family Next Door
This topic is about The Family Next Door
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hepworth, Sally- The Family Next Door; Relaxed Buddy Read starts March 24, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 101 (101 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Family Next Door by Sally Hepworth

description

Synopsis
A gripping domestic page-turner full of shocking reveals, perfect for fans of Liane Moriarty, Amanda Prowse and Kerry Fisher.

The small suburb of Pleasant Court lives up to its name. It's the kind of place where everyone knows their neighbours, and children play in the street.

Isabelle Heatherington doesn't fit into this picture of family paradise. Husbandless and childless, she soon catches the attention of three Pleasant Court mothers.

But Ange, Fran and Essie have their own secrets to hide. Like the reason behind Ange's compulsion to control every aspect of her life. Or why Fran won't let her sweet, gentle husband near her new baby. Or why, three years ago, Essie took her daughter to the park - and returned home without her.

As their obsession with their new neighbour grows, the secrets of these three women begin to spread - and they'll soon find out that when you look at something too closely, you see things you never wanted to see.

Geri | 2042 comments Following the thread! I’ll check in later to see when everyone can start.

Kristie | 3277 comments I was planning to start this one somewhere around the 20th, so I'll be watching to see what everyone's thoughts are.

Laura | 9707 comments I can't wait to read this one! Kristie have you read Hepworth's other books?

Kristie | 3277 comments I have not, Laura. I was interested in The Secrets of Midwives, but never got around to it. I was sent a widget of this one, so I thought I'd give it a try. It will be my first by her. How about you?

Brooke | 1199 comments I'll try to get a copy of this in the next few days. I haven't read any Hepworth before, but it sounds interesting! I love Liane Moriarty, so if this author is compared to her, I'm in.

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "I have not, Laura. I was interested in The Secrets of Midwives, but never got around to it. I was sent a widget of this one, so I thought I'd give it a try. It will be my first by h..."

I 'm a huge fan. I 've also read The Things We Keep by Sally Hepworth The Mother's Promise by Sally Hepworth and The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth . All great and worth a recommend!

Kristie, I have to ask... what's a widget?

Kristie | 3277 comments That's great, Laura! Sounds like this is really one to look forward to.

A widget is a link to the ebook that you are given by the author or publisher. They are usually pre-published copies (also known as galleys or ARCs). So, I received a message from the publisher asking me to review the book and it had a link (widget) to a NetGalley copy of the book. It's not one I would have requested on my own because I didn't recognize the author, but I'm glad I got it now!

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "That's great, Laura! Sounds like this is really one to look forward to.

A widget is a link to the ebook that you are given by the author or publisher. They are usually pre-published copies (also ..."

So I googled NetGalley but how do I go about getting authors to send me their ARC's. It seemed a little complicated? Or I was too busy doing other stuff?

Kristie | 3277 comments Sorry! I always forget that being on Goodreads doesn't mean people know about NetGalley. NetGalley is excellent. It is meant to be a review site and I think bloggers and librarians and such get preference, but I'm neither and I've received plenty of books.

You just go to NetGalley.com and join. You fill out a little bio and link your accounts where you review (such as Goodreads). They ask you favorite genres and things like that. It is completely free, but you have to have a Kindle or some way to read the e-books.

Once you become a member, you just start looking for books. There are books called "read now" which you are automatically approved for. There are plenty of others that you can request and wait to see if you are approved. It is super important to download them before the archive date. If you wait too long, you won't be able to get the book, but once it is downloaded it is yours to keep (except for a few exceptions where they give you a protected pdf that expires - ugh).

Anyway, give it a try! Anyone can join. :)

message 11: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I often wondered about NetGalley too. Thanks for the information!

Kristie | 3277 comments You’re welcome!

Laura | 9707 comments Thanks Kristie!

Laura | 9707 comments My copy came in today. Now will be the challenge waiting for you all to get a copy!

message 15: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "My copy came in today. Now will be the challenge waiting for you all to get a copy!"

No peeking, Laura! LOL That goes for me too!

Laura | 9707 comments Brooke doesn't have a copy yet so .... we are safe for now! Its tempting to start now though:-)

Ha, no peeking Geri!

message 17: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Checking in. I will likely start this book tomorrow. I want to finish the book before things get too busy for me. Laura - how long do you have your book? Will you be reading soon?

Brooke | 1199 comments I still don’t have a copy. I am at the top of the list at the library, but go ahead and start without me. Once I get a copy I will come check in and post my thoughts. And try not to read the spoilers. 😊

Laura | 9707 comments I have my copy for 15 more days. I'm happy to start tomorrow if you like especially since Brooke doesn't mind and will catch up to us! I think Kristie was starting yesterday or today.

Kristie | 3277 comments My library is forcing me to change my plans around! I have The Woman in the Window that I need to finish before starting this one now. I had planned to read them in the opposite order. I don't mind either though. I can catch up with Brooke. :)

Laura | 9707 comments Lol... too many books and not enough time!

Kristie | 3277 comments Yes! It seems all of my holds came in at once. It's so difficult to decide which to read first since I may not be able to get to them all, but I want to read them all.

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "Yes! It seems all of my holds came in at once. It's so difficult to decide which to read first since I may not be able to get to them all, but I want to read them all."

I always have that problem. Most times I have to return and then wait again for books I've already been waiting/ and wanting to read!!

I fell asleep earlier on the couch so I was able to stay up a little later and finish my current book.. on to The Family Next Door tomorrow!

What good books came in from your holds, Kristie?

Kristie | 3277 comments That's happened to me before too, Laura. Unfortunately, I'm not a very fast reader. I just returned The Wife Between Us unread and this is the second time I've gotten Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, because I didn't have time to read it last time.

I have:
The Woman in the Window - reading now
Still Me (audio, I own the kindle) - just finished today
Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
Into the Water
Let Me Lie

Should be coming in very soon:
Dragon Teeth (copy is overdue)
The Broken Girls (I'm guessing 2 weeks)

I own the kindle of The Family Next Door, which is why it's easy to put off.

Brooke | 1199 comments I have The Woman in the Window and plan to read it soon! How is it?

Brooke | 1199 comments Oh - and I loved The Broken Girls.

Kristie | 3277 comments Honestly, I'm about 150 pages in and not much has happened yet. I think I'm at a point where things are about to pick up, but I'm not certain. I plan to get back to it today.

I can't wait to read The Broken Girls. It looks so good.

message 28: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Kristie - I read The Wife Between Us. It was good. You should put yourself back on the waitlist. :) I did like Into the Water too. Much different from Girl on the Train.

message 29: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I started the book. It reminds me a lot of Big Little Lies. And that’s a good thing!

Chapters 1-23

(view spoiler)

Kristie | 3277 comments Thanks, Geri. I did put my name back on the list. Hopefully, I'll be able to read it when it comes in next time.

Glad to hear that this one is like Big Little Lies. I hadn't heard that before and I really liked that one! I'm looking forward to starting.

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "That's happened to me before too, Laura. Unfortunately, I'm not a very fast reader. I just returned The Wife Between Us unread and this is the second time I've gotten Eleanor Olipha..."

I have the The Woman in the Window on my kindle.
I had to return Still Me. I 'm on the wait list again.
I had to return Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine
I'm iffy about Into the Water. I didn't like Girl on the Train so not sure about this one.
I'm waiting for Let Me Lie and currently reading The Family Next Door. I did read The Wife Between Us. It think Geri liked it more than I did!

I finished White Night last night. Here are my current library loans
Carve the Mark, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, The Family Next Door, Parting Shot ( 3rd time trying to read before I have to return it) Poison ,Written in Red, The Kind Worth Killing- 2nd time trying to read this one!
Sometimes life is too busy that I can't keep up with the books I borrow!

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "Honestly, I'm about 150 pages in and not much has happened yet. I think I'm at a point where things are about to pick up, but I'm not certain. I plan to get back to it today.

I can't wait to read..."

I added Broken Girls to my tbr!

Kristie | 3277 comments Sorry, we've kind of highjacked this thread!

Laura, I just recently picked up The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. I saw that you started a buddy read for it, but I won't be ready for that one yet. I also own Written in Red and The Kind Worth Killing. I will get to them eventually. I tend to prioritize my library books, since the books I own will always be there when I want to read them. I hope you enjoy them.

Ok, off to read more of The Woman in the Window, so that I can eventually get around to this one.

Laura | 9707 comments Yes, sorry everyone for hijacking the thread about other book talk!

Laura | 9707 comments chapters 1-9
(view spoiler)
Are you enjoying it so far Geri? Hoping to read a bit more so I can try and catch up to you.

message 36: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments No problem about the book talk.

Laura - Into the Water was very different from Girl on the Train. Woman in the Window does have a Girl on the Train vibe. One reason I gave it 3 stars. I have been reading too many books like Girl on the Train that they don’t feel original anymore, like Woman in Cabin 10.

I tried to read the Anne Bishop series starting with Written in Red. Stopped with book 2. Not for me. Alpha and Omega is just so much better!

The Wife Between Us was good to me. But the book uses a twist that is becoming common too. I can name 3 other books that have the same twist. I guess I read too many mysteries and books in general that it is difficult to surprise me!

message 37: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "Are you enjoying it so far Geri? Hoping to read a bit more so I can try and catch up to you. "

No rush. I startied early. Yes, I am enjoying the book. I am devouring it. All the characters are interesting.

Chapters 24-47

(view spoiler)

Laura | 9707 comments I'm somewhere in between your last spoiler. I'm a tiny bit disappointed because it is nothing like her other books I read and has the Little Big Lies Feel to it!

Kristie | 3277 comments I should be able to start this one tomorrow! I finished the Woman in the Window today and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that I put this one off to read that one. It was ok, but I didn't love it. I'm really looking forward to this one. I think the change of pace will be just what I need. :)

Laura | 9707 comments I need to get to a computer to talk about the part I read this morning.

message 41: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "I'm somewhere in between your last spoiler. I'm a tiny bit disappointed because it is nothing like her other books I read and has the Little Big Lies Feel to it!"

What were her previous books like? I get the feeling that the author got the idea for this book when Big Little Lies came out a few years ago. It feels like BLL was the inspiration!

message 42: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Kristie wrote: "I should be able to start this one tomorrow! I finished the Woman in the Window today and I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed that I put this one off to read that one. It was ok, but I didn't..."

I had the same feeling when I finished Woman in the Window. But did not want to say anything because some did love the book.

Laura | 9707 comments Chapters 24-45
(view spoiler)
I'm not sure how all this is going to end. Happy endings for some or all?

To answer your question Geri... I'm the quiet neighbour, wave say hi...My neigbours on both sides are the same.

Off to finish and see how it all ends.

Laura | 9707 comments Geri wrote: "Laura wrote: "I'm somewhere in between your last spoiler. I'm a tiny bit disappointed because it is nothing like her other books I read and has the Little Big Lies Feel to it!"

What were her previ..."

Family, love, relationships but without the Moriarty feel. I'm not quite finished but I suspect the other 3 will rate higher as I don't like the BLL copy cat feel.

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

message 46: by Geri (new) - rated it 4 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I enjoyed the book too. I didn’t mind the BLL feel. I found BLL to be too “chit chatty”. This book was not. I debated between 3 and 4 stars. I liked it enough to rate it 4 stars. I agree with you, Laura, that it did have a Desperate Housewives feel as well as BLL.

A common theme throughout the book were secrets and children. I like how Hepworth tied this all together. The surprises were surprises for me. I will read more by the author.

I am also a quieter neighbor. I don’t want to be seen as Isabelle, the nosy neighbor! LOL I felt more sorry for Ange. (view spoiler)

Kristie | 3277 comments I’m at 19% and not getting a BLL feel. I’m really enjoying it so far and looking forward to reading more tonight.

Laura | 9707 comments I'm glad you are enjoying it Kristie!

Geri, I think if you liked this one you should try her other ones. I think the change in delivery made me rate this one a little lower though I did enjoy it.

Kristie | 3277 comments That’s interesting, Laura. One of my GR friends was just saying that she really enjoys her work. I didn’t realize this wasn’t typical for her. Are you able to describe how it’s different?

message 50: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karen ⊰✿ | 14450 comments Mod
Oh I'll have to come back here once I start this book!

« previous 1 3