New Adult Book Club discussion

Elizabeth Hartey
This topic is about Elizabeth Hartey
Author Q+A's > Elizabeth Hartey Q&A

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicola (new)

Nicola (nikki-lou) | 2115 comments

This week we the awesome Elizabeth Hartey with us taking your questions. Elizabeth is the author of Cross Stroke and Reel Love.

Leave your Questions for this fab lady here

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy Koot (judykoot) Elizabeth, what does your writing process look like? Thanks!

message 3: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Dehart | 133 comments Who gives you the greatest support in your career?

message 4: by Angel (new)

Angel (angelcrum) | 14 comments Where do you write? Do you have silence or music? Snacks?

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Malaveci (mmalavec) | 22 comments What is your favorite book?

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Katrina wrote: "Who gives you the greatest support in your career?"I'd have to say my family. They put up with my moods when I'm having a hard time getting my characters to cooperate or my snarling when they attempt coming in my writing space when I'm in the middle of a scene that's really working. Hmm. I guess that means they put up with my growling all the time!!LOL

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra Shutters (debrashutters) What inspired you to write romance books?

message 8: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Angel wrote: "Where do you write? Do you have silence or music? Snacks?" I have a small library in my home where my computer is set up. I close myself away and everyone knows to enter at their own risk when I'm closed in there writing. LOL. I do have playlists for my books comprised of whatever songs I've mentioned or used in scenes in the book but I only play them when I'm researching for the scene and after I've written the scene to see if it works. I'm one of those weirdos who needs complete silence when I'm writing so I can get totally involved in what's going on in the story. I usually don't snack while I'm writing but a cup of coffee or a glass of wine is always welcome.

message 9: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Judy wrote: "Elizabeth, what does your writing process look like? Thanks!"Hi Judy. I think my process is I really don't have one. Haha. What I mean is,, I don't outline the story ahead of time. I get an idea in my head and let it simmer for a few days and then I just start writing letting the story take shape as I go. A very famous writer told me once it's how he keeps from being bored with the story, that it keeps the story fresh for him as he goes along and i find that to be true for me as well. When I sit down to write each day I go back and reread what I've written the day or two before just to make sure everything is flowing. And of course I edit and re-edit a million times before it goes to print. Okay maybe not a million but it seems like it. It does make for a bit slower of a process. I can't churn out several books a month like some incredible writers do, but it works for me.

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Maria wrote: "What is your favorite book?"
Hi Maria, Wow that's a great question? If you mean the favorite I've written so far. It would have to be my latest, Cross Stroke, which is the first in a really fun and angsty New Adult series. I love these characters like their my best friends. As far as other authors works I'm a big fan of L.J Shen for contemporary romance, Elizabeth Hoyt for historical romance and as far as the classics go, anything Austen or Bronte.

a collective of books (acollectiveofbooks) Where would you like to travel to the most that you haven't been yet?

message 12: by Siddhi (new)

Siddhi Nigam | 71 comments As a fiction writer, how much does your real life experience influence your writing?

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Debra wrote: "What inspired you to write romance books?"
Hi Debra, I love to read all genres and i actually have one or two projects on the back burner which are not romance. In fact my first novel Reel Love was classified as Women's Fiction although there was a thread of Romance running through it. And to me it will always be Annie and Colt's love story. With all that said my favorite thing to read has always been romance whether Contemporary, Historical Contemporary or the classics. I'm all about the Happily Ever After. I think there's enough misery in the world in reality so when I sit down to read I love the comfort and warm fuzzies of an Alpha hero and heroine getting together. One thing led to another and I found the genre that keeps my head buzzing with ideas and characters is romance. Writing these stories is one of the most difficult but satisfying things I've ever done.

message 14: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Bookish Addict wrote: "Where would you like to travel to the most that you haven't been yet?"A trip to Scotland and Ireland is on my bucket list and hopefully it will happen sometime in the near future. I read a lot of stories when I was younger that took place in those countries about fairies and leprechauns. i think they planted a seed in my mind. I've never gotten over my desire to experience the magic of those places

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Siddhi wrote: " As a fiction writer, how much does your real life experience influence your writing?"Hi Siddhi, In everything I've written to date, including the things that haven't been published yet, I always use something I've experienced or someone I've come in contact with has experienced. It may just be some minor detail or details in the story but I think it helps make the story more real for me and so in turn will make it more believable and significant for my readers

message 16: by S.Shade (new)

S.Shade | 170 comments What or who is your inspiration for your characters?

message 17: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments S.Shade wrote: "What or who is your inspiration for your characters?"That's a tough one. When I get an idea for a story and character I almost immediately see the character in my head. It might take some time to develop his or her personality but I can see what they look like physically.Then I stalk social media to find someone that looks like the character I'm imagining and pin their face or faces to my desktop while I'm writing. It helps me hear their voice, to see if what I'm writing would actually come out of that person's mouth. :) If that makes sense.

<

message 18: by Cassie (new)

Cassie (exbuffalo2001) | 198 comments What is your "must have" when you're in writing mode?

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Hi Cassie, I think the one thing I have to have is quiet. I just need to be able to immerse myself in the story. I need to hear the characters voices. So I can't have a television or music playing in the background.

message 20: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Cannavina | 57 comments What genre would you like to venture into writing?

message 21: by J. (new)

J. (leaj) | 275 comments If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?

message 22: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Whitney wrote: "What genre would you like to venture into writing?"I've have a couple of things I'm working on now which are not romance. One of them is a Time travel YA moving into NA. So that will probably be my next venture. I also love history so one day I would like to tackle a historical romance.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments J. wrote: "If you could be any book character for a day, who would you choose and why?"Wow! i had to think long and hard about this one. but i still couldn't come up with one answer. I decided to go with Claire Randall from the Gabaldon's Outlander series. Since I love history and the concept of time travel is really intriguing to me, I'd love having Claire's experience. But then I thought it would also be awesome to take a tumble down a rabbit hole into Wonderland like Alice or have the abilities of a Marvel superhero to help save the world. LOL
The choices are taunting. If given the opportunity I don't know if I could ever pick one.

message 24: by Nikolina (new)

Nikolina What do you do when you need to step away from writing and relax?

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Nikolina wrote: "What do you do when you need to step away from writing and relax?"When the weather is warm (not sure if that is ever going to happen in the northeast this year :) swimming is my go to outlet for exercise and relaxation. During the months I can't be outdoors swimming I enjoy taking walks or if it's wintry weather, sitting in front of the fireplace with a good book or knitting. Knitting is a form of meditation for me.

message 26: by Emily (new)

Emily Katherine (emkaybee24) | 107 comments Who are some of your favorite authors who write the same genre as you?

message 27: by Hanne (new)

Hanne | 758 comments If you could spend one day with one of your characters, who would you pick and what would you do?

message 28: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Emily wrote: "Who are some of your favorite authors who write the same genre as you?"Hi Emily, There are so many ladies out there that I love. Let's see: Elle Kennedy, Lauren Blakely, Emma Chase. Jennifer Armentrout, Helena Hunting, to name a few. For historical romance I would have to say Elizabeth Hoyt. I could go on and on. There are so many amazing romance writers out there.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Hartey | 77 comments Hanne wrote: "If you could spend one day with one of your characters, who would you pick and what would you do?"I'm totally in love with Dak. He's a bit of a man child but because of that he's so much fun. He's a great friend and leader which is the reason he's such a good Captain for his hockey team. And everything he does he does like a champion. So I suppose we'd have to go ice skating, skiing, surfing and scuba diving. But since we couldn't possibly do all of that in one day, I'd have to spend more than one day with him. And i wouldn't mind that at all, except I don't think Tracey would be too happy about it. ;)