The Bloomsbury Group & Friends discussion

Odd & Ends > "A House of One's Own" article

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 137 comments Does anyone have a complete copy of this article? I found the first six pages online; why it is truncated I do not know. It was published In "The New Yorker" June 5, 1995.

Have tried the library with no luck.

Thanks!

message 2: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 410 comments Gosh, what a challenge.

The New Yorker won't let you in without a subscription.
I tried JSTOR; no luck.

Now I am investigating back issues on the New Yorker online through my local library!

Great task!

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 137 comments Yes, I know re: the subscription. We have JSTOR at work (I work in a library).

Good luck with the search, and thank you so much!

Silvio111 wrote: "Gosh, what a challenge.

The New Yorker won't let you in without a subscription.
I tried JSTOR; no luck.

Now I am investigating back issues on the New Yorker online through my local library!

Grea..."

message 4: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 410 comments I think the New Yorker has a tight lock on their copyrights.

A few years ago I was able to download full issues of off our backs from the '90s. (Yes, I know, it's hardly the same league, but it did make me hope JSTOR would have more than an absract. Alas.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 137 comments Silvio111 wrote: "I think the New Yorker has a tight lock on their copyrights.

A few years ago I was able to download full issues of off our backs from the '90s. (Yes, I know, it's hardly the same league, but it di..."

Thanks for trying. I will try and dig further on my end.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah B (skauthen) | 583 comments Mod
This is getting really silly. The New Yorker archives aren't accessible from the libraries of either of the two counties I live and work in. Additionally, I checked with UNCW and they appear only to have bound copies up to 1960 and digital archives from the early 2000s onward. It's a major publication, I am flabbergasted that gaining access is such a trial.

message 7: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 137 comments Guess what? The library where I work has this article on microfilm (I had been checking the digital databases). I will have to figure out how to load the reel onto the machine, but I'll be able to get a hard copy of it.

Then I can email it to anyone who wants to see it, as I don't know if we can upload any attachments here on Goodreads.

message 8: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 410 comments Microfilm! That makes me nostalgic!

Back when I worked at off our backs (which was a collective-run monthly feminist newsjournal that ran for about 30 years and then went bankrupt like all the other women's publications of the 90s...)--every month I would send 2 copies to a department in, I believe, the University of Wisconsin--or maybe it was Michigan--I can no longer remember--so that they could put the issue on microfilm.

In the early 90s, the paper was contacted by a woman who offered to post it online (the Internet was quite a new concept to the public at that point) and the Collective declined her offer because they thought it would reduce sales. The whole paradigm of all content being available to all had not quite occurred yet, and the Internet was not monetized at that point either. That was around 1992, I think.

It's funny, now it is 25 years later, and I would say about half of the newspapers that are online have made it subscription-only, and print is on its way to being dead.

Not sure what my point is; I guess the word "microfilm" just made me remember how different things are now.

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 137 comments Guess what? I got it, from the Denver Public Library.

It's in PDF form. So how do I share it?

message 10: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 410 comments Denver Public Library! Excellent.
Years ago, I discovered David Bowie just after he stopped touring in 1974 by checking all his LPs out of the Denver Public Library.

Years later (2000, I think), I visited Denver again and saw the PALACE they had built to replace that original little cheesebox. I was happy.

I wish I knew how to add links and stuff like that on Goodreads. People do it, so it must be possible. I defer to our Goddess of this Group, Sarah. She must know how.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sandra, I would like to read it, thank you. I will message you my email addy if you would please light it along. Goodreads might not be the best platform for sharing it due to copyright. lol Silvio, Goddess of the Group - bossy chatterbox, I think you meant ^_^

message 12: by Silvio111 (new)

Silvio111 | 410 comments I see no contradiction between being bossy and being Goddess. (Although perhaps most Goddesses might maintain a sphinx-like silence but I don't think it's mandatory. Plus it would be counterproductive here on Goodreads, obviously.)

message 13: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 137 comments I have finally finished it. I did find it quite interesting, especially the part where Quentin reviews Angelica's autobiography. However, I felt the article ended rather abruptly. As a former journalist, I think she could have wound it up a bit better.

Lots of photos of Charleston and various Bloomsbury Group members.

If anyone else wants a copy emailed to them, please let me know.

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Thank you, Sandra!