Play Book Tag discussion

Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory and the Conquest of Everest
This topic is about Into the Silence
Archive: Other Books > Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory, and the Conquest of Everest / Wade Davis. 3.25 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8828 comments 3.25 stars

George Mallory made three attempts to summit Everest in the early 1920s. On his third attempt in 1924, he and a young, inexperienced Sandy Irvine went missing, and no one knows whether they made it to the top or not. This book looks at all three attempts, plus the people who were involved, many who also fought in WWI.

I really liked the last 1/3 of the book (4 stars worth), but the first 2/3 were hit or miss for me. There were parts that seemed really good, but they just didn’t hold my interest. Some of the stuff on the war was very well-written, but overall, that part of the book just wasn’t all that great for me. However, in the last 1/3 of the book, which followed the last two attempts at Everest in 1922 and 1924, I was fascinated (as I usually expect to be when reading about Everest!). It is possible (but hard to say for sure) the not-holding-my-attention in the first 2/3 of the book (over 400 pages!) could simply be due to stress in my life at the moment. There were also a lot of people involved, so sometimes I would lose track of who was who.

message 2: by Jason (new)

Jason Oliver | 2088 comments It blows my mind how people can go missing with no trace whatever.

Sorry most of the book was a sludge.

LibraryCin | 8828 comments For me it was, but it has lots of really good reviews by other people!

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary B | 112 comments Jason wrote: "It blows my mind how people can go missing with no trace whatever.

Sorry most of the book was a sludge."

Well they have found some gear and Mallory's body.

Sushicat | 805 comments I loved this book.

LibraryCin | 8828 comments Mary wrote: "Well they have found some gear and Mallory's body."

Yes, it was found something like 75 years after he went missing.